Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ********* Warburton MTB Trails Update *********** PLEASE READ **********

Default ********* Warburton MTB Trails Update *********** PLEASE READ **********

I've just walked up Matt's Track/Top Track and found that ALL the jumps have been maliciously vandalised.

Below are some pics I took.

As you can see, someone has attacked the take off ramps by removing the top logs.

As of TODAY, all the jumps on Matt's Track/Top Track have been damaged and are un-ridable and VERY dangerous.

This and ALL tracks on Mount Bride/Tuggwell are now closed. This includes Top, Tip Top, Matt's, New and LaLa.

There is to be NO trail maintenance on ANY trails until further notice. This is from DELWP (DEPI) as well as the trail builders.

I know this is crap, but it needs to happen.

The MTB haters of Warby are on a mission to stop ALL mountain biking in the area and they will stop at nothing to see this happen.

If people continue to ride, maintain or build trails up on Mount Bride/Tuggwell this WILL give the haters fodder and this amazing placed to ride will become no more.

It's time for a reality check and get serious about the future of the trails in Warby.

Things are happening in the background to help secure our trails, so PLEASE don't make our job any harder than it already is. We haven't given up, the fight is still in us.

Please respect these closures and spread the word to all your mates.

I cannot stress how important it is for everyone to respect these closures.

If you want to help us with moving forward, please join YRMTB group. The more financial members we have, the bigger the voice.

Kind regards
    Warburton Trail Fairies
    Attached Images Attached Images

Farrrrk, that sucks!

All that hard work wasted by some chump with a stick stuck too far up their ass.
    I spread the word to all the riders I know.

Thanks for the update!
    If I rode a fixie and nobody saw it, was it still cool?

Punishable by death.

Some people are just fun destroying idiots.

Nooooo what a nightmare any ideas on any updates?

Default ****** Update *********

Signs and fencing have now been erected on Matt's and What You Do tracks.
    These signs have been erected by the trail builders and maintenance crews as a direct result of the latest illegal trail maintenance and unwanted track usage.
    The local trail builders and maintenance crews have been working very closely with DELWP over the last 6 months to create a very strong working relationship. DELWP have seen these new track closure signs and are extremely happy with the efforts the responsible local riders are taking to give the existing trails the best chance at a future here in Warby.

As you can see, there are Track Closure signs and also Bunting indicating the track closures. These are located in several spots along the trails.
    I have also added more pictures of the latest trail destruction/vandalism. This latest vandalism has effected all and more trail features. Not only the jumps but also wooden ramps and bridges. This has never occurred before to this extent and I believe it is a DIRECT result of the post by Max Fish on September 6th, stating the trails had been fixed and encouraging everyone to come ride them, without any consultation with the trails builders, maintenance crews or DELWP.

Several phone calls from concerned locals were made to DELWP after Max's post, concerning the illegal trail maintenance.

If you continue to build or ride the MTB trails on Mount Tuggwell before there is an "ok" by DELWP THERE WILL BE NO TRAILS.

Also, Game Cameras have been set up in places to film ANY activity on the trails. All footage WILL be handed over to DELWP to be perused further.

It is sad that our epic trails have come to these extreme measures, but without the cooperation of the trail users, the future of MTBking in Warby could be doomed.

Please share this post to EVERYONE.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is so dissapointing. I'd hate to know how many hours went into creating these amazing features that have just been destroyed. Best of luck with DELWP

Quote Originally Posted by frug View Post
    Signs and fencing have now been erected on Matt's and What You Do tracks.
    Frug, I can see what you're trying to do but those signs should be worded differently and have contact details on them. If you haven't already done so, shoot a sample over to the land manager's office and say that you will be placing these up. They *must* have a copy on file.

If you continue to build or ride the MTB trails on Mount Tuggwell before there is an "ok" by DELWP THERE WILL BE NO TRAILS.
    Good luck with that one. We've had huge problems with some MTB cowboys going out to do their own thing under the excuse of caring for trail. We came *so close* to losing trail along the yarra trail network - and still might lose some sections. . Like I said, good luck with that one.

It is sad that our epic trails have come to these extreme measures, but without the cooperation of the trail users, the future of MTBking in Warby could be doomed.
    You will find more authorised trail closures will take place over this spring and summer season. The relevant authorities are cracking down on cowboys who selfishly and misguidedly go off on their own with huge works - but ignore putting effort into a legal path to creating and managing trail.

You know the irony of all of this? Many of the officers of the relevant authorities are mountain bikers themselves and all they need are people to drive trail management for MTB activities. If you can gather a group of level headed enthusiasts who are passionate about the sport - but can demonstrate that they do not find objective reality elusive, then you will have a sympathetic ear with authorities. But - you will have to push and drive it with the authorities.
    George
    "this is the first rack that's completely earned my trust." John Hardwick - Mountain Biking Australia Magazine Feb/Mar/Apr 2015

So disappointing to see the damage, I hv no idea why people would undertake such destructive acts.

Hoping if comes together for you soon as I'm keen to visit the lovely Warby again soon.

Mention of Parks positive attitude with Warburton was mentioned in a recent article. "We’re working closely with the Shire of Yarra Ranges on the potential to develop a really great mountain biking opportunity in Warburton Valley.”

The whole article is here: https://rideonmagazine.com.au/trails-to-wellbeing/
    George
    "this is the first rack that's completely earned my trust." John Hardwick - Mountain Biking Australia Magazine Feb/Mar/Apr 2015

what I don't get is why you need to build all that infrastructure in to have fun on the trails, you're making your presence obvious and your impact on environment vs making trails that blend into natural surroundings and features.

of course you're going to attract dickheads that will come along and see your jump construction as a threat to the natural environment.

this is only my observation/comment but I think if you used materials that were at the site as opposed to obvious purpose built stuff, you'd have less issues in the longer term.

mate in the US has had similar challenges with his group and the stealthy approach has neutralized the haters.
    Last edited by mtb101; 29-10-2015 at 09:19 AM.
    pass the vides on and take it easy just flow baby just flow - definition of sound

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast