Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Giant P XCR1 Composite wheelset hub question

Default Giant P XCR1 Composite wheelset hub question

I've got a set of Giant P XCR1 composite wheels from the Anthem Advanced 1, and am trying to figure out which type of hub they come with so that I can track down a service manual. The freehub has 'fh502' marked on the body.

A bit of internet research came up with either DT Swiss or Formula hubs, but the manuals I could find looked a little different.

I've only owned cup/cone hubs before, and am trying to figure out if the drive side end cap (which has a notch for a cone spanner) is supposed to be adjusted to a particular torque value, or for minimum drag.

Cheers

They're DT Swiss hub guts at that level.

Do the cap up tight (don't believe there's a specific torque though); there are crush spacers between the bearings so you can't overdo the bearing preload. If the end cap isn't tight enough it can work itself loose & allow the freewheel body/cassette to float laterally & bugger your gear tuning.
    Just ride the bloody thing and enjoy yourself!

I build wheels... :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by The Duckmeister View Post
    They're DT Swiss hub guts at that level.

Do the cap up tight (don't believe there's a specific torque though); there are crush spacers between the bearings so you can't overdo the bearing preload. If the end cap isn't tight enough it can work itself loose & allow the freewheel body/cassette to float laterally & bugger your gear tuning.
    Thanks for the info. I think that's what ended up happening-the cassette had a decent amount of lateral play in it. Incidentally the rear skewer seemed to work itself loose every couple of months as well, maybe it's all been related. Any loosness in the rear wheel I picked up on I just figured was the skewer so never looked any further.

I found a Giant wheelset service manual and had a look on the DT website, but none of the manuals really seemed to match my hub (they don't have the same end caps)...if anybody has a link or PDF it would be appreciated!

This Formula hub looks the same as mine--from the model/date markings and the 'loosen' marking on the end cap:
    http://www.formulahubs.com/products_...&pid=10&sid=18
    Last edited by imago; 20-07-2015 at 08:10 AM.

DT Swiss hubs don't have cup and cone bearings, and typically use the press in end caps (and freehub bodies).
    Pivot Mach 4- X01- Pikes - ZELVY
    Soma 650B-Side - X9 1x10 -Revelation RL
    Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0- Ultegra 6870 + R785's

I have the P-TRX 1C wheels on my Trance which I think have the same hubs, they are re-branded formula hubs. The Salsa manual seems to match pretty well http://salsacycles.com/files/tech/10...ub_Instr_F.pdf
    You need a 12mm hex key for the non-drive side once you've pulled the end cap off.

I've had pretty much the same issues you described, I don't think the end cap was installed correctly from the factory, somehow the gear tuning was ok despite having quite a lot of lateral play in the freehub body. The rear wheel was always a little difficult to put in the frame but I only noticed it was loose when I went to remove the cassette to take the plastic guard off. I also found the rear axle was backing out to the point where after 10km itd backed out enough for the chain to fall down the side of the 11 tooth cog. I took the bike back to the shop and they tightened up the hub and now the axle seems to stay tight, the thread engagement is noticeably better. Ive been putting a little bit of light strength Loctite 222 on it as well.

Not quite a complete derailment - I have the Trance Adv and I'm looking for a new freehub with more engagement - does anybody know what XD freehubs are compatible?

Quote Originally Posted by schred View Post
    Not quite a complete derailment - I have the Trance Adv and I'm looking for a new freehub with more engagement - does anybody know what XD freehubs are compatible?
    You can't just whack on a different XD driver.

If your hub doesn't have the engagement you need a new rear hub and probably spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by schred View Post
    Check if it is the DT Swiss version. If so I think trek/specialized has a 54t ratchet upgrade. You would likely have A 36t ratchet if its the DT Swiss one already - my 29 version of these wheels does. If its the dt Swiss jobie you can definitely get an XD driver. (engagement and XD drivers are separate things) There seems to be 2 different types of hubs running around on the Giant TRX-1 mine are definitely DT's but old mate above says his are formulas.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ackland View Post
    You can't just whack on a different XD driver.
    If your hub doesn't have the engagement you need a new rear hub and probably spokes.
    Looking at the Salsa link above I see where you're coming from, the engagement looks hardwired into the hub.

Quote Originally Posted by SF Trailboy View Post
    Check if it is the DT Swiss version. If so I think trek/specialized has a 54t ratchet upgrade. You would likely have A 36t ratchet if its the DT Swiss one already - my 29 version of these wheels does. If its the dt Swiss jobie you can definitely get an XD driver. (engagement and XD drivers are separate things) There seems to be 2 different types of hubs running around on the Giant TRX-1 mine are definitely DT's but old mate above says his are formulas.....
    What's the giveaway to determine Formula vs DT? I can't see anything on them apart from Giant logo which makes me think they are formula.

The freehub is definitely XD. I just want more frequent engagement, feels like I can pedal kick 20 odd degrees before it engages. Hold on, are you saying what Ackland is above, engagement is a function of the hub, not the XD driver?

Hold on, are you saying what Ackland is above, engagement is a function of the hub, not the XD driver?[/QUOTE]

Yes - If you get a new say hope hub - you will then also need a hope compatible XD driver.... but the hub determines the points of engagement - the driver essentially is just an interface between the cassette and the hub.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast