Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marzocchi DJ half-breed mongrel fork?

Default Marzocchi DJ half-breed mongrel fork?

Scored an old chromo DJ frame on the weekend for free (thanks L.P.) which came with a Marzocchi DJ2 150mm with a bent steerer. Left over from a previous build I've got some crappy DJ4 100mm forks with buggered springs. Soooo... thought I'd grind through & split the crown off the DJ2 and turf it, should be able to do so without damaging the stanchion tops. Then bolt the DJ4 crown onto them.

Assuming that's successful, can I stuff the DJ2 internals & stanchions (currently air both sides) into the DJ4 lowers (currently spring only)? The castings & seals look to be completely identical save for the dropouts. Yeah I'm going from a 20mm axle to qr as I've got a cheapo wheelset ready to go... this is a beater/ghetto/whatever bike and the less money spent the better. It won't be going near any serious jumps or dropoffs.

Any thoughts? If it's impossible/suicidally dangerous I won't attempt it.
    Cheers, Stew.

900.jpg

stink noodle

This reeks of danger! I can t wait to see your results. If you keep the pinch bolts tightly should be ok.

The internals should fit.

Quote Originally Posted by pink poodle View Post
    This reeks of danger! I can t wait to see your results.
    Worth a shot I reckon. If successful I'll post some happy snaps of the process... If not I might end up on the news or at least the Darwin awards 😂

stink noodle

Quote Originally Posted by stewyh View Post
    Worth a shot I reckon. If successful I'll post some happy snaps of the process... If not I might end up on the news or at least the Darwin awards 😂
    That's the kind of attitude we like! Don't forget the fuckwits thread, a camera and helmet.

Default Success... kinda.

That's the kind of attitude we like! Don't forget the fuckwits thread, a camera and helmet.
    Well, made some headway. DJ2 & DJ4 prior to surgery.
    DSC_0325.JPG

Bent DJ2 crown popped off easily with some careful cutting
    DSC_0326.JPG

Cut front and back slots in both sides. Didn't even have to cut right through they just cracked apart and slid off easily
    DSC_0327.JPG

Yeah, don't do this... having never rebuilt forks before, I ignored the pedantry of Marzocchi's disclaimer insisting I use their stupid thin $40 socket. Ground a slot into each foot nut and undid with screwdriver only to find I'd ground into the hollow bit. Also, after a few futile blows with a mash hammer I realized they come out the bottom not the top
    DSC_0328.JPG

150mm DJ2 stanchions & internals in DJ4 lowers with DJ4 bolt on crown. All seems to fit. Seal kit & oil (and some new foot nuts haha) and should be good to go :)
    DSC_0329.JPG
    DSC_0330.JPG

nice work. how long was that steerer on that now rooted crown/steerer?
    Hitler parody Only fools and people in power refuse to change their views to match reality

stink noodle

Well done. Aside from loosing the 20mm axle, it looks like a success. When is the test ride?

Quote Originally Posted by link1896 View Post
    nice work. how long was that steerer on that now rooted crown/steerer?
    Think it was about 170mm from memory. Left it at work for the time being.

Well done. Aside from loosing the 20mm axle, it looks like a success. When is the test ride?
    Parts will take a little while to arrive from US. Plus bike needs new bb, brake and couple of odds &ends. About a month I should think. Yeah 20mm to qr, I was kinda shaking my head as I was doing it haha

stink noodle

Quote Originally Posted by stewyh View Post
    Parts will take a little while to arrive from US. Plus bike needs new bb, brake and couple of odds &ends. About a month I should think. Yeah 20mm to qr, I was kinda shaking my head as I was doing it haha
    US delivery is usually pretty fast. Hopefully the test ride is not fat off...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast