Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 74

Thread: MIPS vs non-MIPS helmets when buying a new one?

  1. #1
    Senior Member ForkinGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    doing laps at the ReasonablyAngryWhiteguy Bikepark...
    Posts
    876

    Default MIPS vs non-MIPS helmets when buying a new one?

    Looks like it's new helmet time for me.

    ?? Met Parabellum for xc and bastard hot weather, and maybe Bell super 2R for places I tend to crash more.

    I've read a bit about MIPS and it all sounds good in theory, but even when I do a helmet up securely, and so that I can still breathe, there is a little bit of wiggle fore-aft & side-side.

    as I understand it, MIPS is supposed to give you 2-3mm of rotational movement in whatever direction, so when your bonce hits the deck, your squishy brain cops slightly less of a pounding. EDIT - or your brain supposedly hits the side of your cranium with slightly less rotational forces.

    I suspect that the small bit of movement in a properly fastened helmet does this anyway.

    Is MIPS just a bullshit marketing wank? or does it have some merit? Anyone here worn a MIPS helmet in a significant crash?
    Last edited by ForkinGreat; 04-12-2015 at 12:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mywifesirrational View Post
    ...I sent her a photo of a spanish guy killed while fucking a chicken...
    Quote Originally Posted by moorey View Post
    ...and I for one welcome our ant overlords.
    Quote Originally Posted by jarrod839 View Post
    All three were not wearing neckbraces and its all most impossible to determine if paul and sams outcomes would of being different if they were wearing one.

  2. #2
    XC Enthusiast JTmofo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sydney's South West.....
    Posts
    4,289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ForkinGreat View Post
    Looks like it's new helmet time for me.

    ?? Met Parabellum for xc and bastard hot weather, and maybe Bell super 2R for places I tend to crash more.

    I've read a bit about MIPS and it all sounds good in theory, but even when I do a helmet up securely, and so that I can still breathe, there is a little bit of wiggle fore-aft & side-side.

    as I understand it, MIPS is supposed to give you 2-3mm of rotational movement in whatever direction, so when your bonce hits the deck, your squishy brain cops slightly less of a pounding.

    Is MIPS just a bullshit marketing wank? or does it have some merit? Anyone here worn a MIPS helmet in a significant crash?
    In the market for a new lid myself... following.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Duane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Emerald, Vic
    Posts
    1,035

    Default

    The foam is what absorbs the impact and I'm yet to be convinced that placing an additional hard piece of plastic between your skull and the impact absorbing polystyrene is a great benefit.
    Last edited by Duane; 04-12-2015 at 12:19 PM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    442

    Default

    its a small advantage [a bit like airbags...even though they are now standard data shows only a small increase in injury/survivability--much less than standard seat belt]
    the other thing i can see with MIPS is that you would have to fall in a certain way/direction for it to be most effective, the helmet manu. do seem to be adopting it in droves
    Cotic BFe[gone to oldest], old Yeti as-r[retired], focus CX,Lapierre xr529

  5. #5
    Senior Member slowmick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,630

    Default

    Bought myself a MIPS version of the Bell Super 2R last night from Pushys. it was $10 more than non MIPS from pushys and cheaper than the non MIPS from other stores. Figured what the hell.

    http://www.pushys.com.au/bell-super-...ack-white.html

  6. #6
    Senior Member slippy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,304

    Default

    http://www.bhsi.org/mips.htm

    http://www.bhsi.org/bicyclingmag1305.htm

    Main point IMO:

    "the key flaw in the MIPS argument: in the real world, bicycle helmets are so loosely coupled with the head that a slip-plane inside the helmet structure does not add significant sideways movement in an impact. The helmet moves anyway, unless it is constrained in a lab test."

    MIPS makes sense when you have a helmet so tight on your head it can't move, maybe a really snug motorbike full-face or similar. For bicycle helmets, I'm leaning more toward the marketing wank side of the argument.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Hale View Post
    its a small advantage [a bit like airbags...even though they are now standard data shows only a small increase in injury/survivability--much less than standard seat belt]
    the other thing i can see with MIPS is that you would have to fall in a certain way/direction for it to be most effective, the helmet manu. do seem to be adopting it in droves
    I think this comment sums it best for me. There may be a slight benefit in some instances, but most of the time it makes zero difference. Doesn't mean you shouldn't have it, but it probably won't do much.

    From a professional/science perspective I can see the rationale, but feel like it would be more appropriate for high velocity accidents like motorcycles or dh mtb or skiing. Not so much for xc type riding?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    100

  9. #9
    Senior Member Jesterarts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cranbourne East
    Posts
    874

    Default

    The way I look at it is this.
    A non MIPS helmet will prevent serious injury in say 90% of crashes. A MIPS helmet will prevent serious injury in 92% of crashes.
    I'm happy to pay an extra $10 bucks for that nominal extra protection.
    There isn't a down side to having a MIPS helmet over a normal one so may still have that little extra protection.
    Like someone already commented, this is a lot like airbags in a car.

    You don't need them right until the moment you need them.

    In terms of the science and theory behind the MIPS. I like the concept and I see the benefits.

  10. #10
    Senior Member slippy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jesterarts View Post
    The way I look at it is this.
    A non MIPS helmet will prevent serious injury in say 90% of crashes. A MIPS helmet will prevent serious injury in 92% of crashes.
    I'm happy to pay an extra $10 bucks for that nominal extra protection.
    Where's the data to support this claim? Sounds entirely like an assumption. And it costs a lot more than $10 in most cases to add what could well be a useless piece of plastic.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •