Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Derby in Tassi

Hi all,
    just got back from Derby yesterday. It is still worth the trip in winter. Blue tier is a no go due to closure but the network around the township of Derby is open. My advice, bring warm gear, it was super cold up there. The rain was not much of an issue, once you gain height it drains quite well. Hats off to the build, it copes very well with the wet. By far one of the best loops in the wet is Krushka, it is a loop that rides well in any weather and you will not get sick of doing it. Return to Sender was a bit muddier but still rode well. We head up to Derby 5-6 times a year and can not get enough of the place, it's fantastic that finally the powers that be have finally seen the potential in this state. We are very excited about Maydena down south, this will be a game changer.

Default Something for almost everyone

Over the last couple of years I have been to Derby on 5 separate occasions. It's great to witness the development of the trails, now almost everyone will find a trail to their liking at Derby.

The middle section of the new Blue Tier trail is the best riding I have ever enjoyed, Return to Sender isn't far behind.

Certainly worth the effort to get there, so much easier to travel to Derby than to Rotorua since the direct flights to Rotorua stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunched View Post

The middle section of the new Blue Tier trail is the best riding I have ever enjoyed, Return to Sender isn't far behind.

Certainly worth the effort to get there
    great to hear! looking forward to november when I head over there.

Whats the go with EWS stages, are they marked out and easy to find? Keen to hit those up.

Quote Originally Posted by spikenet View Post
    great to hear! looking forward to november when I head over there.

Whats the go with EWS stages, are they marked out and easy to find? Keen to hit those up.
    Yeah everything is sign posted well and you'll have no trouble finding the EWS stages. The bluederby website has a good map to familiarise yourself with the trails available.

The network of trails is about to expand again they received another grant and will begin construction soon on some new family friendly green trails around the old mine hole across the river. Also I believe they are building another trail like return to sender, a link between Atlas and Trouty and a possibly a DH track.

Quote Originally Posted by spikenet View Post
    Yeah, as rstim said, they are easy to find as they are now part of the network.

Stage one was the final descent on the Dambuster trail.

Stage two threw you down the full tilt Detonate trail and the lower half of Flickty Sticks.

Stage three was the last descent of Return to Sender.

Stage four was Upper Shearpin, into old Shearpin and 23 Stitches.

Stage five was Black Dragon trail.

Stage six was my favourite, Trouty!

Stage seven went down the new Monument trail.

Awesome thanks for the info. I Did a clinic at green valleys on weekend and one of the participants raced ews and suggested we look it up!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Is January a decent time to head to Derby. I ask because I although it is in the middle of summer, I am not sure if Tassie really gets all that hot.

Quote Originally Posted by maimed View Post
    Is January a decent time to head to Derby. I ask because I although it is in the middle of summer, I am not sure if Tassie really gets all that hot.
    Yeah January will be good, might get some days over 30 degrees but most likely mid 20s but nearly all the trails are under tree canopy so temps in the bush are not to bad. Trails might be a bit dry and dusty in places but they still all ride really well. Added bonus is when your finished riding you can go for a swim in the river at that time of the year.

Believe it or not Tassie does get 40C days, but they are pretty unusual, maybe 1 or 2 a year, and virtually never back to back. You'll be right, probably most of the trails will be dusty as all get out and as long as you don't mind lumping around a bit of water then it will be sweet. Most likely temps will be between the low and high 20s, although be warned that the sun in Tassie is farkin' strong.

Edit: rstim beat me to it, and yes the a post ride river swim is tremendous!

Yes, I would say prob the best time of year to go (locals will confirm), but there is still no guarantee that blue Tier will be open. We were there December last year and Blue Tier was closed due to a 2 day deluge of rain.

Weather wise, the whole month of December didn't get above 24C and it was beautiful riding weather, hanging around 21C on an average day.

Evil Following
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    Pivot Vault CX
    Fat SingleSpeed
    Cervelo R3 Disc

Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast