Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hardtail advice - Stanton

Default Hardtail advice - Stanton

So I'm about to start the process of putting together a hardtail. I'm looking for something to complement my full suspension bike, which is a Turner Burner. The Turner is 650B with 140mm of travel out back and 150mm up front. The hardtail I'm thinking of would be more trail/XC focused. I'm thinking steel, and I'm thinking 29er with about 120mm of fork. Have done a bit of research and have pretty much settled on a Stanton Sherpa. My questions for the Rotorburn community are:

1. Who's owned a Stanton? Are they as good as they look? They've had good reviews from the mags but what does that mean?
    2. Does anyone who rides a 29er hardtail wish they had a 27.5 instead?

Thanks for any advice

i started on a 29er Ht, bought a 26 then am moving it now to 27.5..goldilocks -we have some tight busg sngl trk though -not open flowing stuff. gor ease of swapping wheels 27.5 makes sense, if you doa rim, flat you can just flick the over to the other bike. having rd, mtb, CX, SS, + kids bikes have a fairly uniform wheel size makes heaps of sense, means i can swap stuff out easily
    Cotic BFe[gone to oldest], old Yeti as-r[retired], focus CX,Lapierre xr529

I've a Stanton Slackline in my quiver of bikes (have also owned a lot of steel hardtails over the years) & it is hands down my all-time go-to bike. I mean, I love my other bikes but not in the way I love riding my Stanton though. Nice clean frame detail, great angles, & by far & away the bike I predominantly spend my time riding because of how capable it is as a trail bike. So much fun. 3+yrs of giving it a tonne of beans & not one moment of resentment on it. Not an "if I were you" moment here, but I'm with Hale- get yourself the Switchback instead. Great angles that you'd happily pedal around all day, compatibility with your Turner wheelset & dealing with Stanton being a breeze (Dan Stanton's awesome to deal with) are big pros. Know the next build I do will be a Switchback.
    ...Bombing for peace is like f%#@ing for virginity...

User formally known as Den-Den (est.2002)

Quote Originally Posted by shake_rattle_and_ roll View Post
    I've a Stanton Slackline in my quiver of bikes (have also owned a lot of steel hardtails over the years) & it is hands down my all-time go-to bike. I mean, I love my other bikes but not in the way I love riding my Stanton though. Nice clean frame detail, great angles, & by far & away the bike I predominantly spend my time riding because of how capable it is as a trail bike. So much fun. 3+yrs of giving it a tonne of beans & not one moment of resentment on it. Not an "if I were you" moment here, but I'm with Hale- get yourself the Switchback instead. Great angles that you'd happily pedal around all day, compatibility with your Turner wheelset & dealing with Stanton being a breeze (Dan Stanton's awesome to deal with) are big pros. Know the next build I do will be a Switchback.
    Yeah, I hear you. I love the 27.5 wheel size, but for some reason i'm thinking 29er for more long distance and xc style riding. Good to hear the your experience with the Stanton is so positive. They certainly look the goods. I cant find another steel frame that I like the look of as much.

I also agree with Daniel, keep both bikes as compatible in parts as you can so if one component has an issue on bike A but you want to ride bike B you swap the parts over and can always have bike A or bike B available depending on your mood/trails.
    Fertilising my post count

Damn you. I really want a Stanton again now. I ride a 29 steel ritchey p-29 hardtail and choose not to get the Sherpa at the time as there was no stock and the tall head tube meant I would of needed a new fork for which I didn't have the funds... I am now about to buy a new fork.... The question becomes do I fund a new frame as well.

Steel is awesome FYI...
    Last edited by SF Trailboy; 10-05-2016 at 08:08 PM.

Bumped into a fella on the trail with a Sherpa 29'' and he loved it.
    I have been on a steel 29er hard tail for 10 months now and have not considered chopping it in for a 27.5, love the big wheels on a hardtail, If I had a 27.5 I would probably say the same thing though.
    My dually is a good ol' 26''.
    Last edited by aanon; 10-05-2016 at 08:39 PM.

Thanks for the comments, folks. Still not decided but getting closer.

Sure is handy and your probably sick of hearing it to have same wheel size. I swap the wheels now and then between my Santacruz Chameleon and my 27.5 Trance.

Have 160pikes on the trance and the 140mm revs on the hardtail with dual position so can go to 120mm also. Trail tyres on the hardtail and wide tyres on the dually. But the hardtail is awesome fun on the knarlier trails also, and good to be able to put the chunckys on the HT for some fun. And the trails tyres on the dually for the long rides where you just don't feel like your arse getting hammered, or events like 3 or 6hour races.
    Last edited by XYGTHO; 12-05-2016 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XYGTHO View Post
    Sure is handy and your probably sick of hearing it to have same wheel size. I swap the wheels now and then between my Santacruz Chameleon and my 27.5 Trance.

Have 160pikes on the trance and the 140mm revs on the hardtail with dual position so can go to 120mm also. Trail tyres on the hardtail and wide tyres on the dually. But the dually is awesome fun on the knarlier trails also, and good to be able to put the chunckys on the HT for some fun. And the trails tyres on the dually for the long rides where you just don't feel like your arse getting hammered, or events like 3 or 6hour races.
    I get what you guys are saying. I do see the obvious benefits of being able to swap wheelsets, tyres etc. I guess I'm more interested in the performance of the 29er vs the 27.5. I don't race, so am more looking for the fun all round trail bike that I can do some distance on. I am leaning towards the big wheels at the moment, just want to be sure I'm not going to regret it. How different is the 27.5 on long XC and trail style rides? Will a 27.5 steel hardtail ride like a 29er but with a bit more agility?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast