Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KONA Honzo ST - Fat B*stard!

Default KONA Honzo ST - Fat B*stard!

So I've been given the green light by the minister for finance to finally expand the fleet.
    I wanted a hardtail, something slackish, AM/trail oriented that would be fun and fast, but would also complement my SB6.

Carbon and alloy werent on my want list, Ti would have been the bollox but price wise it was a non runner, so steel is the go

Looking at 29 originally, but also thought about 650+ after riding a Spesh Stumpy Fattie on a demo day. Luckily for me, the reviews of the Honzo ST are excellent, and it will accept a 650+ 2.8" rear without being a boost frame, so Honzo it is.

Slowly stockpiling parts, but spec is pretty much decided.

Build pictures and progress to follow

Frame: Kona Honzo ST - Med
    Fork: FOX 34 140mm Fit4 Boost
    Headset: Hopetech ZS
    Handlebars: Enve RSR
    Brakes: Hopetech E4
    Rotors: Hopetech 180/160mm Floating
    Stem: Easton Havoc 50mm (Maybe 35mm Hopetech after I dial in the cockpit)
    Grips: ESI
    Seatpost: KS Eten
    Collar: Kona (maybe Hopetech)
    BB: Shimano BSA
    Crank: Shimano M8000
    Chainring: Shimano 32t
    Cassette: Sram GX 11 sp
    Rear Mech: Sram Gx
    Shifter: Sram X1
    Chain: Sram 11 sp
    Hubs: Hopetech Pro 4
    Rims: DT Swiss XM551
    Spokes: TBD
    Tyres: TBD - Tubeless

Last edited by JTmofo; 16-07-2016 at 10:29 AM.

That's a nice frame ..... Like my Transam just a freckle better but not by much..... It will look great with some Hopes on it :)
    How can you DEFINE your limit if you don't FAIL?

Rad looking frame. Looking forward to seeing the beast built...
    I like turtles!

Look forward to seeing the finished bike!

Kona's geometry on these bikes are awesome.
    FOR SALE: .... |

Did I read somewhere that you've decided to go sickfiddy plus?

Quote Originally Posted by mitchy_ View Post
    Did I read somewhere that you've decided to go sickfiddy plus?
    You sure did.... if i dont try it out, then ill never know if i'll like it or not.

Gonna roll some DT swiss XM551, 2.8" rear, 3" front.

Quote Originally Posted by JTmofo View Post
    You sure did.... if i dont try it out, then ill never know if i'll like it or not.

Gonna roll some DT swiss XM551, 2.8" rear, 3" front.
    sweeeeet! i keep lusting over one of these (with a 120mm fork) as i want a mid travel hardtail... and i can interchange both my 29" and 27.5" wheels depending on my mood.

depending on how the build is progressing/when maxxis finally release their 2.8" minions, i'll have a 2.8 and 3.0 nobby nic you can try out too if you want.

I thought about a 120mm fork, but i was thinking how compromised the bb height would be while running 650b+ wheels in a 29er frame.
    I'll be running a 2017 Fox 34 so 140mm to 120mm is an easy air shaft change.

Im still undecided on tyres, not a great choice as of yet, but ill decide when i have to.

Some parts have arrived, Hubs, drive train and headset. I have the Bars and stem off my SB....

Itching to build it up.... but gotta move house at the end of the month so fork purchase will have to wait till after that!

Going the 6fattie route you dirty dog!! Just go Rekon/Ikon and then when Minions become available never look back. It's one of the things that makes me not want to spend the money experimenting with it on my Honzo, the 29" wheels are a known value for me and there's so many good tyres for them.

I might have a set of Race Face SixC 800mm with a 30mm rise (35mm clamp) in Yeti Turquoise for sale soon. They're currently on the Stumpy (was dialing in the cockpit because the zero rise was feeling too low), but I've got some Cromag BZA's coming with the rise I want now, so just waiting for them to arrive.

That colour scheme is so good on that model, I almost want to strip my frame down and repaint it, just to show off some of those welds better. Also, subscribed because I'm keep to hear how it is with the 6fatties.

Quote Originally Posted by JTmofo View Post
    I thought about a 120mm fork, but i was thinking how compromised the bb height would be while running 650b+ wheels in a 29er frame.
    I'll be running a 2017 Fox 34 so 140mm to 120mm is an easy air shaft change.

Im still undecided on tyres, not a great choice as of yet, but ill decide when i have to.

Some parts have arrived, Hubs, drive train and headset. I have the Bars and stem off my SB....

Itching to build it up.... but gotta move house at the end of the month so fork purchase will have to wait till after that!
    phwoah, didn't realise the BB was so low even for a hardtail. definitely bump up the fork length for plus wheels.

when i get mine back this week i'll be able to confirm the numbers, but i estimated about a 15mm drop from 29x2.3 tyres to 27.5x2.8/3.0 combo.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast