Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Ride the DK, well maybe one day

  1. #1
    Vealcake
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,011

    Default Ride the DK, well maybe one day

    well I have decided to build some of the stuff up that I have got so the project is the mighty DK
    got a dk frame at the right price, 26 inch and all. Seems to be in pretty good nick so time for the single speed build. I am not really sure what travel fork is suited to this frame so a set of shermans with 110 to 150 travel seems to be the perfect fork. photos shortly as well as my plans, if you have suggestions (except get fuckt ) for cost effective componentary feel free to let me know
    IMG_20160803_110847.jpgIMG_20160803_110654.jpg
    Last edited by safreek; 03-08-2016 at 07:43 PM.

  2. #2
    Vealcake
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    could I run a full cassette but just in one cog as a stand in til I get a ss wheel or would the ramps or whatever keep kicking the chain off. By the way the chain retainer thingy is gong tomorrow

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    995

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by safreek View Post
    could I run a full cassette but just in one cog as a stand in til I get a ss wheel or would the ramps or whatever keep kicking the chain off. By the way the chain retainer thingy is gong tomorrow
    Depends, is the cassette wheel quick release or bolt up? If it's quick release it won't work with this frame. If it's bolt up, you'd need to run a singlespeed kit like this:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/a...it/rp-prod2300

    Also make sure your front chainring is designed for singlespeed and not a ramped chainring, otherwise your chain will drop.

  4. #4
    Vealcake
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JONO WADE View Post
    Depends, is the cassette wheel quick release or bolt up? If it's quick release it won't work with this frame. If it's bolt up, you'd need to run a singlespeed kit like this:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/a...it/rp-prod2300

    Also make sure your front chainring is designed for singlespeed and not a ramped chainring, otherwise your chain will drop.
    thanks for the link, if no ss wheels make themselves available that will be my next port of call. hadn't even thought about the front ring.

  5. #5
    Vealcake
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    went to the bikeshop ( transition cycles )to get a quote on some cheap new bmx cranks and bb for a temp measure, quoted 2-300 hundy, fuck me. guess the bikeshops can get rooted unless I am real desperate. crc here I come ( when I have money ) booted some bad tenants from my place and the money is to tight to mention
    Last edited by safreek; 14-06-2017 at 04:40 PM.

  6. #6
    Vealcake
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    Ok, this sucka is back on track, got a different fork for it from the schredda, took some cranks and bb from a charge that I had.
    The wheel is something on a novatec hub, screw on ss cog of 16 teeth variety.
    The headset is going to be a mallet so that should work for a bit.
    The only thing missing is a 20mm front wheel but that will come from my cove as it's too wet to ride for a couple of weeks, New Italy copped 375mm.
    Photos to come when I pick it up from " just ride " bike shop on wyrallah rd
    Front.jpgBack.jpg

  7. #7
    Clinically Inane
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    19,631

    Default

    So what parts are you chasing at the moment?

    That frame looks good. FWIW - I've ran a qr wheel in horizontal drop-outs before with no drama, just needs to be the right sized axle. It isn't ideal either, but it worked.

  8. #8
    Vealcake
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pink poodle View Post
    So what parts are you chasing at the moment?

    That frame looks good. FWIW - I've ran a qr wheel in horizontal drop-outs before with no drama, just needs to be the right sized axle. It isn't ideal either, but it worked.
    yeah the frame is apparenty Japanese steel, makes no diff to me but some people seem to be in love with Japanese steel. At the moment I have the rear wheel that you may have seen in the " help me with my fuck ups " section, the bikeshop is getting me a ss freewheel to suit, at least it is bolt up.
    I have just about got it all except for a designated front wheel, bit of a bummer having to use the one wheel for two bikes, my wheelie skills arnt that good as my broken tv incident showed

  9. #9
    Clinically Inane
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    19,631

    Default

    It isn't often your ride both bikes at once...

    Japanese steel can be pretty awesome. It might be time to get the paint stripper out and see if it matches theor knives.

    mms_img1783473004.jpg

    Also note that Japanese bmx hold a strong radness value.

  10. #10
    Vealcake
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pink poodle View Post
    It isn't often your ride both bikes at once...

    Japanese steel can be pretty awesome. It might be time to get the paint stripper out and see if it matches theor knives.

    mms_img1783473004.jpg

    Also note that Japanese bmx hold a strong radness value.
    Bloody nice looking knives, folded steel?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •