Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Cracked frame or scratch?

Default Cracked frame or scratch?

2015 Anthem Carbon, 1600ish km, XC only. 85kg, dont think ive ever even bottomed out the shock - dont do jumps...

Just noticed this tonight getting the bike ready for the VES round this weekend.

Its tucked in behind the rear shock, it is very hard to see unless you catch it on the right angle, very easy to feel. Hard to imagine getting a scratch there without marking the shock or any other part of the pivots nearby etc?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Do i ride it this weekend, worried if i take it back to my LBS i wont have a bike to ride on Sunday.

Travis.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm going to say crack for sure
    [SIZE=2]Successful trades with; rowdyflat, Derek Yates, Plankosaurus[/SIZE]

Doesn't look good

With past history of Giant carbon frames, you can be pretty sure it's a crack.
    It's up to you if you feel comfortable riding it.
    I've got 2 mates who between them have had 9 warrantee replacement Anthem frames.

Similar crack on a mates Anthem up here organised a replacement frame and went "Meh not like I can break it anymore" and went for a ride. 10m from Car Snap! she dead Jim! 4th one I have known personally up here. This is why Giant have a great warranty lots of practice
    How can you DEFINE your limit if you don't FAIL?

I reckon its prob just the top coat, the carbon underneath is prob alright - giant will prob replace it anyway no questions asked
    Cotic BFe[gone to oldest], old Yeti as-r[retired], focus CX,Lapierre xr529

Put a bit of liquid paper over the crack. Go thrash your bike. See any cracks in the liquid paper - it's a crack. Haven't done this myself, not sure what the best way to remove the liquid paper off the frame is though...
    Last edited by c3024446; 07-09-2016 at 08:28 AM.

I reckon it's top coat. I had one through the workshop last year for a similar thing, and when I put the hacksaw through it after the new frame had been sent I couldn't see any deep damage. So I'd say it's fine for the race, but keep tabs on it.
    Just ride the bloody thing and enjoy yourself!

I build wheels... :wink:

Thanks guys, pretty shocked to discover this. I certainly wouldnt have expecting this to appear where it has, when everyone generally talks about cracking its usually around the seatpost / top tube...

Took it in to my LBS where i bought it and they have taken photos to send to Giant, mechanic recons ill be ok to race it this weekend just keep an eye on it. Pretty torn now re riding on it!

The compressed images take away a bit of the detail, couple more taken today in natural light.

Travis.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Travis22 View Post
    Thanks guys, pretty shocked to discover this. I certainly wouldnt have expecting this to appear where it has, when everyone generally talks about cracking its usually around the seatpost / top tube...

Took it in to my LBS where i bought it and they have taken photos to send to Giant, mechanic recons ill be ok to race it this weekend just keep an eye on it. Pretty torn now re riding on it!

The compressed images take away a bit of the detail, couple more taken today in natural light.

Travis.
    My mates latest Anthem cracked in the exact same place.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast