Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 219

Thread: Canyon MTB - Real Life Experience

  1. #31
    Member Mattyp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, VIC
    Posts
    95

    Default

    There is hope yet...The world needs more people like JTmofo. I can imagine some wanker taking them to court for 6 months over a dodgy paint job and scratched fork, only to send the bike cartwheeling off a cliff a week later.

  2. #32
    Isn't flammable. moorey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Buninyong
    Posts
    27,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mattyp View Post
    There is hope yet...The world needs more people like JTmofo. I can imagine some wanker taking them to court for 6 months over a dodgy paint job and scratched fork, only to send the bike cartwheeling off a cliff a week later.
    Hardly. Chops barely rode.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTmofo View Post
    Think I'll just buy an Orange!

  3. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    208

    Default

    I can also vouch for ordering a YT in Australia.

    Enquired on a Monday about a Tuesday Comp CF and had immediate response.

    Asked if there was any possibility of getting it sent to Adelaide by the weekend for my next race but they explained it was a no go as its coming from NZ, but they did say it would arrive within the week after that.

    The bike arrived as promised and was extremely well packed.

    Instruction booklet for building the bike (only wheels, bars etc) and it even came with extra mini boxes to use as stands to keep the bike upright when building.

    Quality is top notch and the build is amazing.

    Overall I will almost certainly be getting another YT in the future, or possibly a Canyon.

  4. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JTmofo View Post
    I already have a nice trail 29er, albeit a hardtail. Saying that, it charges everything and anything I ride and love it.

    They are confirmed 30mm internal (measured with a vernier when setting up tubeless) so I'll see how they go. Never ride a minion ss before so keen to try it out.
    How's the Minion SS going on the 30mm internal rims?

  5. #35
    XC Enthusiast JTmofo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sydney's South West.....
    Posts
    4,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    How's the Minion SS going on the 30mm internal rims?
    Hey mate,

    Have done about +50km on it so far, and so far, so good.
    There's plenty of sidewall support and I really happy at the grip levels. Still playing around with pressures,running between 24-28psi.
    I'm pretty surprised at that the tyre isn't as square (or at least feel as square) as I was expecting. Good transition when leaning onto the side knobs, and once there, has heaps of grip.

    Rolls better than the Aggressor I had on the SB6, albeit that was on a Stans Flow Ex (19mm or 20mm internal?)

    I'll post some pictures later of the Minion SS mounted on the 30mm internal.

  6. #36
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    5

    Default Canyon vs Yeti vs ?

    Hey Mofo and crew,

    thanks for all the info about the Canyon experience.
    I'm in need of a new bike and looking at the Spectral CF 9.0 EX $6200+ $199 shipping + $100 to swap out the renthal bars for carbon. so about $6500 all in.

    I'm nervous about buying a bike direct to consumer, but the guys in melb seem pretty on it.

    The other option is to throw it all in and get a Yeti SB5c or 5.5c, i've got a solid 1-2 years before having kids and feel like "buying the dream" bike while I have the time to ride.
    the base model is like $7500 for fairly basic components XT/SLX, nothing fancy, basic fox, etc.
    The equiv of the Spectral with eagle and all the glitter is $10,500 (yes flippin 5 figures).

    I ride in Canada, USA, NZ, high country and all over Vic. and after a bike which pedals great on the ups and rips on the down (aren't we all?)
    I've just come off an intense tracer 275c and was not stoked on the VPP linkage - so not looking at Santa Cruz either.

    I'm a bit lost, has anyone had experience with either bikes, what are they like going up and down, build, etc.
    I also tend to ride bikes for 6-12 months and sell them, but because I like new shiny toys and the experience of riding new bikes.

    Would appreciate any input.
    Thanks!

  7. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JTmofo View Post
    I'll post some pictures later of the Minion SS mounted on the 30mm internal.
    Thanks - that would be great. Also, is the High Roller a 2.3" or 2.4"? I'm always on the lookout for that elusive perfect tyre combo.

  8. #38
    XC Enthusiast JTmofo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sydney's South West.....
    Posts
    4,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyL View Post
    Hey Mofo and crew,

    thanks for all the info about the Canyon experience.
    I'm in need of a new bike and looking at the Spectral CF 9.0 EX $6200+ $199 shipping + $100 to swap out the renthal bars for carbon. so about $6500 all in.

    I'm nervous about buying a bike direct to consumer, but the guys in melb seem pretty on it.

    The other option is to throw it all in and get a Yeti SB5c or 5.5c, i've got a solid 1-2 years before having kids and feel like "buying the dream" bike while I have the time to ride.
    the base model is like $7500 for fairly basic components XT/SLX, nothing fancy, basic fox, etc.
    The equiv of the Spectral with eagle and all the glitter is $10,500 (yes flippin 5 figures).

    I ride in Canada, USA, NZ, high country and all over Vic. and after a bike which pedals great on the ups and rips on the down (aren't we all?)
    I've just come off an intense tracer 275c and was not stoked on the VPP linkage - so not looking at Santa Cruz either.

    I'm a bit lost, has anyone had experience with either bikes, what are they like going up and down, build, etc.
    I also tend to ride bikes for 6-12 months and sell them, but because I like new shiny toys and the experience of riding new bikes.

    Would appreciate any input.
    Thanks!
    From experience, the Yeti Switch Infinity linkage is a superb pedalling platform, and much more refined than the Horst link of the Canyon.

    The Yeti 5.5 carbon would be the go if I wanted another Yeti, especially if you are looking to offload it in 6-12months. You will lose your bollox value wise either way. The more you spend, the more you lose.

    It's hard to beat Canyon at the moment for value for money....

  9. #39
    XC Enthusiast JTmofo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sydney's South West.....
    Posts
    4,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    Thanks - that would be great. Also, is the High Roller a 2.3" or 2.4"? I'm always on the lookout for that elusive perfect tyre combo.
    HRII is 2.3"

    Tried to capture the sidewall shape of both the SS and HRII below

    Minion SS



    HRII


  10. #40
    Senior Member yeahyeah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Leumeah
    Posts
    401

    Default

    Love the bike mate! I recently got a Strive CF, and my lord the thing is like heaven.
    Definitely put it through a lot on a recent trip to Bright, Falls Creek and Thredbo.
    Canyon delivery & Customer service was 100% on the mark. I wanted a few things added to my order and they had no dramas, even though it was 3 days after I placed the order for the bike.
    I would recommend anyone who is thinking about getting a canyon, you won't be disappointed.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •