Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reign or Remedy?

2016 Remedy only 140mm travel which won't cut it, and have had a 29er Trance which wasn't for me (not fun enough, although I was the fastest on this!).

It's tough, the new Remedy has better cranks, shifters, and to me a better linkage. Oh and dual air Lyrik. Reign has 10mm more rear travel, bigger front disc, carbon rims (also wider) and wider bars. I've never ridder on carbon rims before, on paper I think the Reign has it over the Remedy for the rims alone...

Quote Originally Posted by CP View Post
    It's tough, the new Remedy has better cranks, shifters, and to me a better linkage. Oh and dual air Lyrik. Reign has 10mm more rear travel, bigger front disc, carbon rims (also wider) and wider bars. I've never ridder on carbon rims before, on paper I think the Reign has it over the Remedy for the rims alone...
    Suggest to test ride both bikes to see how they feel - geometry and suspension are the highest priority for me. Parts can be negotiated into the price or changed at a later date... which is all part of the fun.

For sure - just hard to get more than a car park ride these days.....

2016 Remedy only 140mm travel which won't cut it, and have had a 29er Trance which wasn't for me (not fun enough, although I was the fastest on this!).

If it's Giant's home brand carbon rims I wouldn't hold high hopes for them. I have a friend who cracked theirs on a Trance, and my roadie cracked a FRONT rim on the first ride and I didn't even hit any potholes.

I may have the models muddled but wouldn't it be more ~ remedy v trance, slash v reign?

Can't recall specs on the giant carbon wheels but recall thinking it is still too narrow for its purpose.
    Be careful with that, it was new once.

Nah the Slash is now a 29er, and they've upped the Remedy in travel. Used to be a 140mm bike, now is 160mm front and 150mm rear.

The included Giant rims are 33mm now, that's fairly wide I thought (many seem to be around the 30mm mark).

The included Giant rims are 33mm now, that's fairly wide I thought (many seem to be around the 30mm mark).
    The 33mm would be external width I'm guessing, which is meaningless. Probably around 27mm internal, although you'd have to check. Still good width though.

So far so good on giant carbon wheels for me on a trance. I am thinking of building a more dh specific rear wheel though as I would rather be rock dingging a comparatively cheap alloy rim vs carbon. I have about 10 rock hits in my rear wheel already. Running straight though so pretty good for a ~1600g wheelset. Might give them to my wife and build mavic on hope hubs so I have no regrets hitting rocks.

150mm on the 2016 , I think it was 140 on the 2015 , still may not be enough for you , plenty for me though , 👍

Pretty sure from 2017 , fuel and fuel plUs only available in 29 , remedy and slash only available in 27.5

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim1 View Post
    The 33mm would be external width I'm guessing, which is meaningless. Probably around 27mm internal, although you'd have to check. Still good width though.
    I don't know why wheel manufacturers even quote only the external width. It's a useless metric without also having the internal measurement.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast