Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Queenstown and Christchurch in May advice please

I have done Rotorua, and if you're looking for trail riding, would highly, highly recommend there. the locals are awesome, there's enough trails to keep you going for hours

and good coffee at the bottom of the redwoods..
    as well as shuttles when you need em
    brb going to crash down a hill

Quote Originally Posted by Robb View Post
    Timely thread.
    Finishing up my job this week and will have 3 weeks before the new gig starts. I'm still got some uni coursework though, so can't spend the whole time riding bikes...

So was thinking of a quick trip to NZ, somewhere between 6-10 days. Leaving next week!
    Anyone got some tips on what to look for (besides searching through here), where to stay etc.

For context I ride a Yeti SB95 that I'll bring with me. For fitness / riding style, I'm happy to ride up and down, ideally in the range of 40 - 50km a day, 1000-1500m vertical. I'll be following up on Dozer's comments on where to ride, just after how much time I should be looking at staying in various areas, and if in 10 days would be enough to cover the south as well as a trip up to Rotorua
    Dozer has it mostly covered but I'd highly recommend a couple of days in ChCh riding in the Craigieburn/Cheeseman ski areas about an hours drive from ChCh. Tracks to keep you busy there are the full Hogsback loop, Edge, Luge, Gorgonzola, Haloumi and the epic Cocaine Alley. There's also riding to be had at Mt Hutt near Methven around the bottom section of the skifield road. You've also got Mt Richardson and the Blowhard tracks out the other side of ChCh.

As for Queenstown, there's just so much if you're happy to do some pedalling: Coronet Enduro and DH tracks, Corotown (all the way down to Arrowtown), Rude Rock, Zoot, Skippers and 7 mile. And that's all aside from the bike park.

Alexandra is good but the tracks are a little hard to find, I'd recommend Clyde instead where there is an awesome enduro track way up above the dam, which can be accessed easily via the gravel road up to the lookout.

Wanaka is fun, but really there's only enough there for a day. Dean's Bank and Sticky is pretty much it.

Rotorua is amazing, but it's super weather dependant and can be really limiting if there's been a lot of rain (which is likely at this time of year). I reckon the EWS riders secretly hated every minute of it recently as it's so much better when it's not pissing down and muddy. For my money if you were going to throw in an extra location other than ChCh and Qtown Nelson would be a better bet.
    safreek: if I want an arse pounding I will go to the correct toilet block

Thanks for your help guys.
    I think I'll give Christchurch a miss and do Rotorua and Queenstown - do a day trip out to Wanaka.

A rough plan is to fly to Aukland, drive to Rotorua, spend 5 days there, drive back to Auckland and fly to Queenstown for 5 days. Will probably also get a car in Queenstown as well. Seems there will be more than enough trails and other things to do for 5 days in each place. If I tried to do Christchurch I'd spend too much time in transit..

Quote Originally Posted by Robb View Post
    Thanks for your help guys.
    I think I'll give Christchurch a miss and do Rotorua and Queenstown - do a day trip out to Wanaka.

A rough plan is to fly to Aukland, drive to Rotorua, spend 5 days there, drive back to Auckland and fly to Queenstown for 5 days. Will probably also get a car in Queenstown as well. Seems there will be more than enough trails and other things to do for 5 days in each place. If I tried to do Christchurch I'd spend too much time in transit..
    Wanaka - if its a nice day the trail out to Glendhu Bay is worth doing. its not single track, but a bit of up & down and great views along the lake. Deans Bank & Sticky Forest are worth the effort, see if you can grab a map for Sticky Forest from a shop before you head out, it can get pretty confusing in there.

If you're heading to Alexandra, Butchers Dam trails are meant to be great. It can get pretty confusing trying to find the trails out in the hills, so a stop into a shop would be worth doing if you can. There is one on the main drag as you come in from the Queenstown direction, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

If you've got time to kill, Naseby would be worth a trip too.
    yeti dork

Nelson, but yeah:

I'm like...steep, would be getting tiring. Then at 4 mins, all hell breaks loose...

be interested to know what happens on the side of the trail at 5 minutes where they've added a fence. given the rest of the trail it must be one hell of a drop at that point.

stink noodle

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Addict View Post
    and good coffee at the bottom of the redwoods..
    as well as shuttles when you need em
    You're easy to please! There is plenty of good things at the bottom of redwoods (parking, bike wash, toilets...), but the coffee is not one of them. It is gold that it is there. It just isn't good.

Great thread , plenty of good info has me drooling ...
    I'm planning a family trip to NZ in September and my son and I cant wait to ride some new terrain. I was looking at a campervan but now leaning towards a hire car and various levels of accommodation. I can sleep in a car but my wife tends to like a comfy bed and room service. I guess we can comprimise , does drive thru count ?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345