Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums

Thread: Mt. Buffalo camping and riding.

Default Mt. Buffalo camping and riding.

So we're heading to Mt. Buffalo over the Easter period and I'm looking for some info.

There will be 4 adults and 4 kids, ages 8 up to 14. We're looking at camping for a few nights and doing some riding. Is the Parks Lake Catani the only car campground around? And what are some good rides for the young 'uns to enjoy?

Thanks in advance.

The whole Bright area is chockkers with people at Easter, every car coming in has bikes on the back. Theres a load of campgrounds down the Buckland Valley road but a few years back there were big crowds of what looked to be friends/families at each of them. We camped at the Big4 in Porepunkah and rode in the rail trail in to Bright for beer nearly every afternoon. Its a great place at Easter, we'll go back there at some stage.

Evil Following
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    Pivot Vault CX
    Fat SingleSpeed
    Cervelo R3 Disc

On Buffalo Catani is the only car camp ground lots of options off mountain but Catani is a great spot. As far as riding on Buffalo you will be limited to the roads/fire trails. Parks are very strict on riding bikes on walking trails/single track. That being said riding down the big walk used to be great fun as long as you don't get caught, maybe not the best with your kids.
    Last edited by Switch; 06-03-2017 at 09:23 AM.

its a beautiful part of the world, nice loop around lake. not single track mtbing of course but plenty of tracks to explore.

I did the audax alpine classic this year and here's a pic as I sailed past.

mybufallo.jpg
    pass the vides on and take it easy just flow baby just flow - definition of sound

Does anyone know if Rocky Creek Trk and Mt Mcleod Fire Trk are open to bicycles during winter? Both of the relevant camps are open for Alpine camping. I guess a phone call tomorrow.
    George
    "this is the first rack that's completely earned my trust." John Hardwick - Mountain Biking Australia Magazine Feb/Mar/Apr 2015

Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    So we're heading to Mt. Buffalo over the Easter period and I'm looking for some info.

There will be 4 adults and 4 kids, ages 8 up to 14. We're looking at camping for a few nights and doing some riding. Is the Parks Lake Catani the only car campground around? And what are some good rides for the young 'uns to enjoy?

Thanks in advance.
    There's a ton of awesome (rock) climbing up at Buffalo though Bright will be your best bet for riding... The trail from Porepunkah to Bright is pretty cruisey for kids to do. My 8 year old complained like a small child but rode it pretty easily:)
    I like turtles!