Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 43 of 62 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 world cup discussion

watched the DH finals for the first time the other day, I usually watch the xco which can be a bit of a yawn, gotta say I really liked the Dh, its exciting till the end with the fastest lastest. that trk makes for good viewing as opposed to somewhere like cairns where i presume the under storey makes for some shite viewing [even bright aus champs wasn't great as I drove shuttles but its hard to get to a good viewing spot, & coverage was pretty average]
    Cotic BFe[gone to oldest], old Yeti as-r[retired], focus CX,Lapierre xr529

Senior Member Mywifesirrational's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ajay View Post
    Calgary world cup was another one that springs to mind. But these were legitimately awful tracks. Leogang is fantastic in comparison.
    Oh yeah, it was indeed terrible back then and those protests were well deserved. Its probably not a bad sign that people are complaining about a bike park track all things considered.

Another abysmal race was Metabief, a total mud bath unlike anything that's happened since perhaps Cairns? the french refused to change anything as that was the track their team had spent significant time training on.
    Quote Originally Posted by jarrod839 View Post
    All three were not wearing neckbraces and its all most impossible to determine if paul and sams outcomes would of being different if they were wearing one.
    Agree completely, there is no evidence!

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckles View Post
    like any group there are extremist fringe elements who are willing to commit atrocities in the name of their particular skewed beliefs.
    Quote Originally Posted by moorey View Post
    Dr Moore loves his current Alpine..and his 5 other Oranges

While not strictly world cups, it's been interesting to follow the Crankworks DH rounds. Great to see Troy take the win at Les Gets. Hopefully, it's the confidence boost he needs to get another WC win.

And at the latest Crankworks DH round at Innsbruck, Hart took out the men's, apparently on a 27.5 bike... maybe we don't have to change to wagon wheels after all ;)

Senior Member sufferthesinglespeed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rednightmare View Post
    While not strictly world cups, it's been interesting to follow the Crankworks DH rounds. Great to see Troy take the win at Les Gets. Hopefully, it's the confidence boost he needs to get another WC win.

And at the latest Crankworks DH round at Innsbruck, Hart took out the men's, apparently on a 27.5 bike... maybe we don't have to change to wagon wheels after all ;)
    Fast riders will always be fast regardless of wheel size.
    Always like seeing Troy win. He is so consistently close to the win. Always a threat.

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight with this guy ajay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sufferthesinglespeed View Post
    This.

Its such a dead horse now.

I think even the fastest riders would struggle to be competitive on 26" bikes these days.

Always like seeing Troy win. He is so consistently close to the win. Always a threat.
    Yep, great to see him take the win. Mik Hannah in second and Tracey took out the women's at Innsbruck. The year is panning out pretty well for the Hannahs.

Quote Originally Posted by ajay View Post
    This.

Its such a dead horse now.
    Hardly. Considering manufacturers are going to have to decide what wheel size to run on their DH bikes for next year, as consumers, it is very relevant. At the start of the season, it seemed as though a 29er whitewash would be inevitable but the recent wins on 650B (Gwin, Troy and Hart) are an increasingly strong counterpoint.

It's interesting to see that Danny has been struggling recently, but he switched back to the smaller wheels and he won. Could be other factors but it would suggest that the bigger wheels aren't for everyone.

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight with this guy ajay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rednightmare View Post

Hardly. Considering manufacturers are going to have to decide what wheel size to run on their DH bikes for next year, as consumers, it is very relevant. At the start of the season, it seemed as though a 29er whitewash would be inevitable but the recent wins on 650B (Gwin, Troy and Hart) are an increasingly strong counterpoint.

It's interesting to see that Danny has been struggling recently, but he switched back to the smaller wheels and he won. Could be other factors but it would suggest that the bigger wheels aren't for everyone.
    Rather, the podium has been filled with the usual people. The fact some rode a 29 and other didn't doesn't suggest anything other than they are both viable on the world cup. But anyway, the pretense of my comment suggested I wouldn't engage further in the deabte

Senior Member sufferthesinglespeed's Avatar

Wheel size is probably always going to be a talking point for some.
    I personally don't care what they ride. How they ride is what keeps me watching.
    From my point of view big wheels make sense for a big guy. Proportional really.
    Some of the bike companies only make the 29 in M size and up, can't make it work for the smaller frames. So there is probably merit in wheel size matching to body size. Minnaar and Moir are big lads so the bikes look a better fit. Being more comfortable is likely more beneficial than the 29 wheel alone
    I'm a big guy and it seems to work for me on my XL 29r but equally I like my XL 27.5 too.
    Would be hard to see a 26 feeling right again. Could be wrong though. And I agree it would be a brave man to suggest a 26 will ever win another world cup.
    But Minnaar did say it in a WynTV segment..."just get out and ride your bike!" or very similar.

Andorra is this weekend! Woohoo! The finals are on Saturday night too! Girls at 9pm, dudes at 11pm. I'll be halfway across the pacific ocean en route to Canada while it's going down so I'm hoping to catch a replay somewhere in Whistler that weekend. Can anyone suggest a bar that may run that kind of thing?
    I'm not even going to try to predict a result for this one, it's so wide open right now. I'd like to think Troy's good form will get him the top step, that'd be ace!

Page 43 of 62 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast