Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 56 of 69 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
Results 551 to 560 of 690

Thread: 2017 world cup discussion

  1. #551
    Senior Member ianganderton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Randwick, Sydney
    Posts
    265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mywifesirrational View Post
    His own dumb fault and tough shit for him, in his post (non) race interview he doesn't do himself any favors.

    He was dumb enough to tape a piece of cardboard to the inside of his jersey in place of a real back protector... when told they must wear a back protector, which every other rider managed to do. He's also sponsored by alpine star, they may make something appropriate?

    Yes, he should have been pulled up prior to the race, by an official and certainly by a team manager.
    In Europe body armour comes under the PPE (Personal Protective Equipment 1992) law same as helmets and goggles etc. A bit of cardboard taped to a shirt isn't going to cut it. Dumb idea from the start. No official is going to tolerate something so obviously taking the piss.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #552
    Senior Member ianganderton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Randwick, Sydney
    Posts
    265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Isildur View Post
    Broken ribs suck...
    True story


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #553
    Grumpy Old Man Spike-X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    3,225

    Default

    Cardboard? Well, that's just fookin' stoopid.

    Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
    Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they're fun to push down the stairs.

  4. #554
    Senior Member dunndog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    4,015

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Cardboard? Well, that's just fookin' stoopid.

    Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
    Could have atleast doubled it over with a layer of bubble wrap sandwiched in between. Hack.
    I won't beat you to the punch, i'll punch you to the beat - Hilltop Hoods

  5. #555
    Senior Member Beej1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,843

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dunndog View Post
    Could have atleast doubled it over with a layer of bubble wrap sandwiched in between. Hack.
    Bubble wrap on it's own would've been fine. I saw it on an episode of Friends. Seemed legit.

  6. #556
    I'll tells ya! johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    on the dunny
    Posts
    12,650

    Default

    Just got the chance to watch it tonight after avoiding this thread for the last couple of days.


    Quote Originally Posted by moorey View Post
    Gutted for Troy coming so close,
    Pretty sure that's how Minaar felt last week!

    Quote Originally Posted by ianganderton View Post
    One thing I've clocked since Leogang is Phil Atwill has had plenty of time on the hot seat box. Plenty of people dismissed his comments on the Leogang course being too smooth and easy. Folks used that they didn't know him to undermine his thoughts. Past 3 races the 22 year old has put in some very solid performances earning his place in the worlds elite riders (ranked 13 after round 5)
    Gotta pull you up on that, mate.

    The criticism wasn't that no one knew him it was that he was the ringleader in bagging the track out but on race day did not back that criticism up with his run. Secondly, I think a lot of that criticism aimed at the point that to be a world leader you have to excel at whatever is put in front of you regardless of whether you like the course. I think that point remains.

    In saying that, he has been blistering the last two rounds. Dude has really stepped it up and looks like a Danny Hart of the future. Hope to see him do the same at Leogang next year.

    Quote Originally Posted by sufferthesinglespeed View Post
    Gwin was well on the pace, would have won it for sure. Minnaar acknowledged as much in the interview post race. He's a class act.
    Can't be upset to see him win. Just a flat out star. Troy was so close. Thought he had pulled it out right at the end.
    No one wants to see a win by default, pretty sure they would all rather win on their own merits and not through mechanicals. Thems the breaks in racing it seems
    My thoughts exactly, dude is all class. He held his excitement until he'd consoled Gwin and in the interview he genuinely didn't own the win. In saying that though, he does own the win. Part of the game is using the resources you have to get you down the hill as fast as you can. Gwin didn't use his resources (or acquire/set the best resources) to get him down the hill fastest. Its just as important as staying rubber side down, if you can't do it you won't win.

    Quote Originally Posted by sufferthesinglespeed View Post

    Phil Atwill has stepped up. He needed to after bagging Leogang so vocally. Good work to him. Can sure ride a bike.
    Not sure he has the bit extra to make the top step.
    Exactly the way I see it as well. I don't see Connor Fearon making it either as the fastest guys are the Minaar's, Gwin's, Brosnans and Brycelands who don't look like they are riding on the edge but nail the fastest times more often than not. To me Danny Hart et al are fast and can nail a World Champs on the day but it's the Gwins, Minaars, etc. who are the top of the pile. They are smooth, fast and reliable. they don't have to ride on the edge to be at their fastest.
    MADE OUT OF CHROME

    Successful trades: Nick Z, Rhyno, Naz, RCOH, Parallax, Carlin, Stylinruss, Cave Dweller, Inverted, Teamshore03, Stooge, I-AM-TEH-FASTEST-11, Benana, -Davo, Grover, Drop in Drew, cleeshoy, Bevsta, Daver, hifiandmtb, yogibear, scblack, NoSkidMarks/Crankin, oliosky, dolphinman, binner, iUDEX_nCr, Psimpson7, nickg78, DillonRib, Squims.

  7. #557
    Clinically Inane
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    19,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mywifesirrational View Post
    His own dumb fault and tough shit for him, in his post (non) race interview he doesn't do himself any favors.

    He was dumb enough to tape a piece of cardboard to the inside of his jersey in place of a real back protector... when told they must wear a back protector, which every other rider managed to do. He's also sponsored by alpine star, they may make something appropriate?

    Yes, he should have been pulled up prior to the race, by an official and certainly by a team manager.
    I believe AlpineStar also produce a range of quality and effective neck braces.

  8. #558
    Senior Member Mywifesirrational's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pink poodle View Post
    I believe AlpineStar also produce a range of quality and effective neck braces.
    Effective, certainly, from a marketing perspective!

    Certainly better than some cardboard taped to a jersey, especially if it was the flimsy shit that Hibike and Bike-discount use.
    Quote Originally Posted by jarrod839 View Post
    All three were not wearing neckbraces and its all most impossible to determine if paul and sams outcomes would of being different if they were wearing one.
    Agree completely, there is no evidence!

  9. #559
    Clinically Inane
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    19,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mywifesirrational View Post
    Effective, certainly, from a marketing perspective!

    Certainly better than some cardboard taped to a jersey, especially if it was the flimsy shit that Hibike and Bike-discount use.
    Good marketing is good business.

    I remember seeing one of the TBSM boys wearing a craftily cut up beer carton at a Coramba state round millions of years ago.

  10. #560
    Senior Member sufferthesinglespeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Margaret River WA
    Posts
    280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    Exactly the way I see it as well. I don't see Connor Fearon making it either as the fastest guys are the Minaar's, Gwin's, Brosnans and Brycelands who don't look like they are riding on the edge but nail the fastest times more often than not. To me Danny Hart et al are fast and can nail a World Champs on the day but it's the Gwins, Minaars, etc. who are the top of the pile. They are smooth, fast and reliable. they don't have to ride on the edge to be at their fastest.
    Smoothest is often the fastest.
    I'm seeing Minnaar as someone like Alain Prost, so calculating and clinical. Just knows what it takes to win. Gwin is very similar in his approach.
    Ragged edge riding makes for great viewing but it doesn't always win. Danny Hart in the rain at his world champs was smooth as butter and smashed it. He is looking a little like he's trying to find that flow again and pushing a bit hard. Close but not quite there. Or maybe the other contenders just got faster?
    Brosnan is loving his new rig and it shows. He is just a treat to see riding, always smooth and always fast. I'm a fan.
    Best season to watch in ages.

Page 56 of 69 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •