Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gravel grinder / tyres rim width.

Default Gravel grinder / tyres rim width.

I've turned my rigid SIR9 into a gravel grinder. I've just set up 24mm internal width rims with Ikon 2.0's front & rear. (tubeless)

Thoughts? They've been fine so far over 50kms. I used to run 2.2 Ikons quite routinely for XC stuff. I figured dropping 200g for the gravel grinder would be a good move.
    If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let 'em go, because man, they're gone. -Jack Handy.

Quote Originally Posted by chrischris View Post
    I've turned my rigid SIR9 into a gravel grinder. I've just set up 24mm internal width rims with Ikon 2.0's front & rear. (tubeless)

Thoughts? They've been fine so far over 50kms. I used to run 2.2 Ikons quite routinely for XC stuff. I figured dropping 200g for the gravel grinder would be a good move.
    Are you asking for opinions on a good tyre width for 'gravel grinding' ? Really depends on the terrain and how much sealed road you do also. For gravel grinding on a CX/road bike I'd be running 28s to 33s. If you are talking about riding mainly on rough firetrails etc. then the 2.0s would be much better.

Depends on the surface you ride and how heavy you are. If you want reduced rolling resistance on rougher surfaces then wider is better. To get the same performance with a heavier rider you want wider tyres. Wider tyres will be better for comfort and control as well.

If you aren't constantly accelerating, braking and maneuvering around things rotating mass doesn't make all that much difference. Gravel grinders tend to be ridden at fairly consistant effort so you don't really get much any notable increase in performance by reducing rotating weight as you would riding a technical trail or road racing where riding involves more sudden acceleration.

Rim width is fine for that size tyre.

No problemo.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky View Post
    Are you asking for opinions on a good tyre width for 'gravel grinding' ? Really depends on the terrain and how much sealed road you do also. For gravel grinding on a CX/road bike I'd be running 28s to 33s. If you are talking about riding mainly on rough firetrails etc. then the 2.0s would be much better.

Yep - rough firetrails. Some are smooth, most not. I guess my question was more based around a narrow-ish tyre on a 24mm internal rim.
    If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let 'em go, because man, they're gone. -Jack Handy.

Sheldon cooper says it's ok.

Personally though I run 35c for my gravel grinder and 28 if I cbf swapping wheels.

On 24mm rims you could safely go down to 33mm CX-type tyres, but I wouldn't advise any narrower.
    Just ride the bloody thing and enjoy yourself!

I build wheels... :wink:

My thought is that's a fat gravel grinder. I'm running 38 mm Challenge Gravel Grinder tyres on some OE Giant Pxc2 rims (19 mm internal) for our long long sandy rock dirt roads on a Niner RLT. Even on Great Dividing Range fire trails I'd be happy with this combo. So your rims would be even better. I'd singletrack those no worries!

Quote Originally Posted by silentbutdeadly View Post
    My thought is that's a fat gravel grinder. I'm running 38 mm Challenge Gravel Grinder tyres on some OE Giant Pxc2 rims (19 mm internal) for our long long sandy rock dirt roads on a Niner RLT. Even on Great Dividing Range fire trails I'd be happy with this combo. So your rims would be even better. I'd singletrack those no worries!

Well - that's my basic idea. I can dive into some single track if need be. Maybe it's better classed as somewhere between gravel grinder / XC.
    But I must say that those 2.0 Ikons at 35psi don't provide the best cornering!

for gravel grinding I don't like cx tyres, bit too soft & wear too quickly, 2 choices imo

get some hard/tough 28's/30's or go for around 40-42, check out the tyre cannondale put on their slate
    Cotic BFe, old Yeti as-r, focus CX, NS eccentric alu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast