Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fox Evol vs Vorsprung corset

Default Fox Evol vs Vorsprung corset

Who's used both? I've been using the corset on my Fox CTD and while the overall feel of the shock is much plusher I struggle to get proper sag. I know this is a fairly common complaint, but is the Evol can any better?

Quote Originally Posted by Hools View Post
    Who's used both? I've been using the corset on my Fox CTD and while the overall feel of the shock is much plusher I struggle to get proper sag. I know this is a fairly common complaint, but is the Evol can any better?
    I have used both and can confirm that the Evol can is far superior (in my opinion). The issue I also had with the corset was getting the correct sag; it was sitting at around 33% with 230psi in it, whereas the Evol sits at around 28% with 200psi. I've also found that both of my Corsets leaked air and had to be topped up before each ride if left for more than a couple of days. The Evol holds air the same as a regular Fox can.

In terms of plushness, I think the win goes to the Evol, although there's not much in it. I think this is due to simply running less pressure.

The other thing that really annoyed me about the Corset was that it bottomed out far too easily, whereas the Evol holds up better in the midstroke and only bottoms out where it should (with the same volume spacer installed). I was told that the Evol has a smaller internal volume than the Corset, which is why it ramps up better.

I was ready to swap out my Fox Kashima CTD on the Santacruz 5010 for something else, but since trying the Evol air can it's transformed the bike.

The only thing I would say though is that next time I get the shock serviced, I will get it revalved so that climb mode is a bit firmer. The issue with negative air chambers is that whilst they are super plush, they do cause a bit more pedal bob in climb mode, which can be solved by an $80 revalving. On the plus side, if you're more of an XC rider and like tech climbs, you will love the additional rear wheel traction. Personally I'd rather less traction and more energy going directly to the pedals. If I could have full lockout I would.
    safreek: if I want an arse pounding I will go to the correct toilet block

Hi Hools, shoot me an email if you're having difficulty with the setup of your Corset and we'll help you get it sorted - steve at vorsprungsuspension dot com

Quote Originally Posted by Nautonier View Post
    I have used both and can confirm that the Evol can is far superior (in my opinion). The issue I also had with the corset was getting the correct sag; it was sitting at around 33% with 230psi in it, whereas the Evol sits at around 28% with 200psi. I've also found that both of my Corsets leaked air and had to be topped up before each ride if left for more than a couple of days. The Evol holds air the same as a regular Fox can.

In terms of plushness, I think the win goes to the Evol, although there's not much in it. I think this is due to simply running less pressure.

The other thing that really annoyed me about the Corset was that it bottomed out far too easily, whereas the Evol holds up better in the midstroke and only bottoms out where it should (with the same volume spacer installed). I was told that the Evol has a smaller internal volume than the Corset, which is why it ramps up better.

I was ready to swap out my Fox Kashima CTD on the Santacruz 5010 for something else, but since trying the Evol air can it's transformed the bike.

The only thing I would say though is that next time I get the shock serviced, I will get it revalved so that climb mode is a bit firmer. The issue with negative air chambers is that whilst they are super plush, they do cause a bit more pedal bob in climb mode, which can be solved by an $80 revalving. On the plus side, if you're more of an XC rider and like tech climbs, you will love the additional rear wheel traction. Personally I'd rather less traction and more energy going directly to the pedals. If I could have full lockout I would.
    Sorry to hear you've had issues with your Corsets - can you shoot me an email with the details of your shock and what was going on so we can get them sorted for you? Obviously air leakage is not normal and needs to be fixed as it's very annoying. We had issues with the second batch of 7.875 LV sleeves that were made not sealing well due to some chatter issues in manufacturing, but that was sorted out a good while ago now so if the sleeve is more recent than early 2015 then it may be a separate issue. Email is steve at vorsprungsuspension dot com

Regarding the sag issue - if you were running 230psi and having too much sag as well as bottoming out too easily and not having enough mid stroke support, the solution there is simply more air, as every indicator is that it was simply too soft. Comparing air pressure between the sleeves isn't really relevant as they don't provide the same overall (average) spring rate at any given air pressure. The Corset is fine up to 350psi so you have plenty of room to move there. With a bit of time spent playing around with air pressure and volume spacer configuration I'm very confident you can get distinctly better performance from the Corset than the Evol sleeve on the 5010. I say this not as the usual BS marketing spiel (especially since you have already bought it anyway) but because we have verified its performance quite thoroughly on that particular frame.

Any other questions or issues, please don't hesitate to get in touch - we want to get you sorted out and enjoying the ride, and we also want to be fully aware of any problems people are having, so if you've had issues with any of our products we always want to hear about it. I don't check the forums much these days so email is the most reliable means of contacting us!

On a somewhat related note - the concept of "correct" sag is a tricky one as there really is no way to define exactly what that is except by what problems your current spring rate gives you. If you want less sag because you're finding the bike too low or too slack then that's legit, and likewise wanting more sag for traction and compliance or handling, but chasing semi-arbitrary sag numbers rather than performance characteristics is not something I would generally recommend. Couple of videos we did regarding the concepts of correct setup and sag here for anyone interested:
    http://bit.ly/2nCCsAX
    http://bit.ly/2nCzaxy
    http://bit.ly/2oYpoae

Quote Originally Posted by S. View Post
    Hi Hools, shoot me an email if you're having difficulty with the setup of your Corset and we'll help you get it sorted - steve at vorsprungsuspension dot com
    Thanks for the excellent info, Nautonier. I have read of a few similar experiences, but it's always good to hear a first hand experiance. And if the EVOL is easier to use then it does sound like a winner. Before I go dropping any more coin, however, I will get in contact with Steve to see if he can make this work for me. It is tricky accurately putting more than 300psi into a shock though.

Just get the EVOL can:
    + less expensive
    + greater adjustability in sag levels
    + works better
    + works "out of the box"
    + works without exceeding manufacturer recommended pressures
    + works without an additional upsell of volume spacers
    + you don't need to replace cans for any warranty servicing
    +you don't need to explain why your bottom out bumper has been crushed into a fine paste
    + you get to keep your warranty!

- you won't look like a special snowflake
    - your bike will wear and tear faster on account of being in a usable state that you enjoy riding

Quote Originally Posted by Zaf View Post
    Just get the EVOL can:

- you won't look like a special snowflake
    A unique and beautiful snowflake?

A unique and beautiful snowflake?
    I disagree, you will look like a unique and beautiful snowflake as the Evol can has no Fox branding on it. Corsets are a dime a dozen, but you don't see many unbranded Evols around.

I disagree, you will look like a unique and beautiful snowflake as the Evol can has no Fox branding on it. Corsets are a dime a dozen, but you don't see many unbranded Evols around.
    I'm sure your high specced carbon hire bike in Finale Ligure will have one.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckles View Post
    like any group there are extremist fringe elements who are willing to commit atrocities in the name of their particular skewed beliefs.
    Quote Originally Posted by moorey View Post
    Dr Moore loves his current Alpine..and his 5 other Oranges

Quote Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
    I'm sure your high specced carbon hire bike in Finale Ligure will have one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXMrDu7374Y

https://youtu.be/JT5AQIlmM0I

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckles View Post
    like any group there are extremist fringe elements who are willing to commit atrocities in the name of their particular skewed beliefs.
    Quote Originally Posted by moorey View Post
    Dr Moore loves his current Alpine..and his 5 other Oranges

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast