Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoe sizing 'standards'

Default Shoe sizing 'standards'

Before I rant about shoe sizing lack of standards my question is, if I have a pair of Five Ten Impacts and they fit very snugly but I just find them too stiff, will a Freefider in the same size fit nicely or should I go up a size for roomy softness?

My favorite pair of riding shoes are my Teva cranks and sadly they don't make them anymore so I'm in the hunt for the next pair of shoes.

I have a pair of Five Ten Impacts, Teva Cranks and Asics Tigers for sizing comparisions to work out what might be the best size to try in a Five Ten Freerider shoe.

I check out all the size tags and knowing there are anomalys out there between brands I notice it's actully f'dup. At least component standards are a gaurenteed size when you order something, shoes and I guess clothes in general are really hit and miss.

Teva cranks

IMG_20170405_162724.jpg

Asics Tigers

IMG_20170405_162653.jpg

Five Ten Impacts

IMG_20170405_162803.jpg

How can the sizing labels be so different when a so called standard has been established in a country or region?

At least component standards, while numerous, are reliable in measurments.
    Fertilising my post count

Don't forget in addition to shoe size (length) you have width and shape. If you have a weird foot shape or border on sizes then best to try before you buy even if same brand as what you're uses to as different models fit differently.

Like clothes sizing, there is no standard. If there was it'd all be actual measurements like geo charts rather than a vague number which varies from brand to brand. What's worse is when sizing is inconsistent within the same brand, and even worse than that, the same model of shoe across years.

A 5.10 impact fits differently to a 5.10 impact Sam Hill. First step is rip out the laces and replace that elastic shit with decent flat laces. Gotta try em on, only chance you have, and search forum threads for people posting what fits them and going by that.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by teK-- View Post
    Don't forget in addition to shoe size (length) you have width and shape. If you have a weird foot shape or border on sizes then best to try before you buy even if same brand as what you're uses to as different models fit differently.
    I have a weird foot and yeah try before buy is always best but sometimes impossible as it's hard to find shops with the stock.

Quote Originally Posted by agentninety3 View Post
    Like clothes sizing, there is no standard. If there was it'd all be actual measurements like geo charts rather than a vague number which varies from brand to brand. What's worse is when sizing is inconsistent within the same brand, and even worse than that, the same model of shoe across years.
    Check the labels as they show actual measurements in cm, makes the sizing references even more abserd, and this has been the case before the internet so it's not a bricks and mortar protection mechanism.

Quote Originally Posted by hazza6542 View Post
    A 5.10 impact fits differently to a 5.10 impact Sam Hill. First step is rip out the laces and replace that elastic shit with decent flat laces. Gotta try em on, only chance you have, and search forum threads for people posting what fits them and going by that.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    I did the forum searching and got the right size, nice and snug yet comfy, they just don't 'fit' me arch height and thick padding wise.

Some shoes have Boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Alo661 View Post
    Some shoes have Boost.
    Is that like Nike air pumps?

Quote Originally Posted by stirk View Post
    Check the labels as they show actual measurements in cm, makes the sizing references even more abserd, and this has been the case before the internet so it's not a bricks and mortar protection mechanism.
    It is generally only length though, and there's no doco to tell whether this means shoe length or foot length.

Some brands are consistent though, my two pairs of riding shoes are both the same size Northwave, and all of my other running / hockey / exercise / sport shoes are Asics. I've confidence enough in both brands to order online and know which size will fit.

My previous comment referenced two pairs of Nike Zooms which I bought consecutive year's models of the same size and one fit, and the other was too large.

I've been stuffed with this in the past week. I'm a size 46 in my Sidi's and I'm buying some more hike-a-bike friendly Shimano ME7s. Ordered size 46 online and when I tried them on, they're VERY snug fitting. I've now ordered the next size up and will return whichever size isn't the best fit.

Typical story, but I would have loved to have tried and bought these at the local LBS but the online price saved me $45.

If you want to be sure they fit try them on and buy local. Good fit is more important than anything else, including cost.
    "People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it". - George Bernard Shaw

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast