Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New bike (2017 SC Chameleon?)

Default New bike (2017 SC Chameleon?)

Looking at replacing my current HT for something a little more agressive. I currently have a cannondale trail SL2 (2015) and much as i want a dropper post feel a new bike would be less work than a 27.2mm droppper.

I was looking at building up a 29er SC Chameleon with either 1x11 or 2x 11 XT and a yari, any other thoughts or suggestions? Also happy with trail/aggressive HT suggestiosn around $3-4k
    Last edited by Shinigami; 09-04-2017 at 10:35 PM.

are you set on a material? Steel, aluminium or carbon; might narrow things down a bit.

or just go full trend: titanium honzo set up 29er front, 27 plus rear!

Heaps of options in this market at the moment.... and even more if you're not 100% set on a 29er or +

To name a few.....

Kona Honzo or Explosif
    Canfield Nimble 9
    Ragley Bigwig/Blue Pig/Piglet
    DMR Trialstar
    Production Privee OKA/Shan
    Commencal Meta HT
    Orange P7 or Crush
    NS Eccentric

Some killer bargains out there on frames too..... Ragley and NS are uber cheap. Put the extra cash into a (Boost) Pike, Fox 34 Factory or something a little more tuneable than a Yari (Charger damper w/ LSC over the Motion control).
    Do yourself a favour a go down the 1x route, keep it simple and clean.

Without going absolutely ape shit on bling, you will build a very nice hardtail for $4k. (unless you buy a Honzo Ti.....)

Quote Originally Posted by clockworked View Post
    are you set on a material? Steel, aluminium or carbon; might narrow things down a bit.

or just go full trend: titanium honzo set up 29er front, 27 plus rear!
    fuck those Ti frames look good, i've not seen an Au price around but from what they are overseas i'm not sure my budget goes that far.

i'm not set on materials (not sure i want a carbon though) and the only riding i've done on a 27 was on the missus bike for a little, so i'm willing to be convinced if it would be a better bike. the only thing i'm set on is stealth routing for a dropper and a seatpost bigger than 27.2

@JT i should have had a ride on your honzo when i had a chance

Quote Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
    fuck those Ti frames look good, i've not seen an Au price around but from what they are overseas i'm not sure my budget goes that far.

i'm not set on materials (not sure i want a carbon though) and the only riding i've done on a 27 was on the missus bike for a little, so i'm willing to be convinced if it would be a better bike. the only thing i'm set on is stealth routing for a dropper and a seatpost bigger than 27.2

@JT i should have had a ride on your honzo when i had a chance
    It was there for the taking mate......

If you're going for a frame up build, I'd suggest a nice steel, slack (<67Deg HA), 120-140mm forked 29er or 650+.
    Honzo's are now hard to get, and were a $1000+ frame only ($3k for the Ti).

Ragley Big wig or Blue pig frame can be bought for sub $600(less for a run out 2016), allow $900 for a decent fork, $400 for a dropper, $600 for some decent wide wheels, $100 for tyres, $150 for a bar and stem, $60 for a saddle, $600 for some SLX grouppo and brakes, and you're well inside a $4k budget.
    Odds and ends, $150.... you're still golden.

CRC has some xt for $600 (just reread, they have it for this sans breaks, faster on the downhill...).

yeah just got off the phone with the local kona dealer, they can do the 2016 Ti for $2,500 but have no other stock listed.

may just have to ask around for someone closer by who has one to pedal on, or i'll just go try a Al prebuilt for size

Quote Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
    I was looking at building up a 29er SC Chameleon
    Chameleon frames will be non-existant in Aus according to LBS, distributor seems to only want to bring in full bikes, and limited ones at that.

Quote Originally Posted by agentninety3 View Post
    Chameleon frames will be non-existant in Aus according to LBS, distributor seems to only want to bring in full bikes, and limited ones at that.

maybe i'll go look for one of the runout carbon kona's

Here's the importer info.........

https://www.lustyindustries.com/bicy...e-black-silver

Default Wrong one

Quote Originally Posted by JTmofo View Post
    Looks like the old model (which wasn't available either)

Why can't you just order one in? Surely they could add it to their next delivery?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast