Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Freak accident = Potential Carbon Damage? Opinions needed

Default Freak accident = Potential Carbon Damage? Opinions needed

Hi Burners

So long story short, out for a road ride on my 2016 Giant Defy Advanced, in which I managed to get a large self taping roofing screw jammed in the rear tire. What resulted is a blown out tire, and as I still coasted along a banging and knocking sound. Upon inspection the noise was coming from the nail & chain stay/BB junction, it was whacking the frame on the way past. Results posted below.

Despite being pissed at how retarded this incident was, was wondering what peoples opinion are on this? Cause for concern? Giving it a close inspection, I'm hoping its just superficial in that it took away the paint and undercoat. I can't feel any delaminated carbon or broken fibres running my hand on it. Have emailed giant and waiting for a reply. If superficial was thinking of cleaning and putting some clear coat over to avoid any potential corrosion and keeping a close eye on it. Praying this isn't a write-off. Saved forever to get this beast, and i don't like the new models colours. Its a shallow world.

Thanks folks!

IMG_3617.JPG

IMG_3619.JPG

Carbon fibre doesn't corrode, the clear coat won't do anything to help that (may prevent more paint flaking off though?). Looks fine to me, keep riding!

I had damage in a similar area due to tyre rub. Mine was rubbed a bit 'smoother' of that makes sense but it looked fairly similar in terms of depth. Took my bike back to the shop and they got the paint dude to repaint the area and said it was safe to ride.

That looks superficial, just tidy it up with some clearcoat, and ride on!
    A man must believe in something.
    I believe I'll have another beer!

President of the Andrew Bolt Fan Club.

I had a rock strike under the bb on my new at the time Remedy 9.9. I was worried about the look and paint so I actually touched it up with some of my wifes nail polish and it's been fine. Now the thing is covered in scratches and I couldn't care less....
    Not enough balls for DH, too fat for XC, not enough skill for FR. Yeah, I ride All Mountain.

It's fine. The layup in that area is pretty thick, plus carbon is readily repairable. Nowhere near being considered a write-off.
    Quote Originally Posted by c3024446 View Post
    Carbon fibre doesn't corrode, the clear coat won't do anything to help that (may prevent more paint flaking off though?).
    No it doesn't corrode, but exposed carbon laminate can absorb water over time through micro-pores between the fibres and resin, which can cause delamination. Sealing the area with clearcoat/nail polish/paint will prevent this osmosis.
    Just ride the bloody thing and enjoy yourself!

I build wheels... :wink:

Similar on the underside of the fork on my Defy due to debris being caught in the fat 28mm tyres. I keep riding it.

Wow, I'm surprised everyone isn't telling you that it will catastrophically fail and you will fall into the path of a semi trailer! How much difference a couple of years makes ....

Call it a win, also an opportunity to learn how to repair carbon which is easier to repair than aluminium.
    Successful trades with chopsticks McGee, Dirty Dingo, FinancialWar, and gave someone I can't remember a pedal wrench extension.

And reckons he's going to do 80km per week for 2016 min

The only way to really know will be a test if fire. You'll need a large fire pit for a whole bike. Once the flames are really raging hang your frame over it, about 1m about the coals. If the frame survives 48hrs of continuous burn, you're good to go.

It's a roadie, why is everyone commenting?

Edit: And what poodle said too...
    I wish my body was as old as my brain thinks it is.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast