Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No name and shame, prob a good thing i suppose

Default No name and shame, prob a good thing i suppose

Just jumped on here to grumble about a negative and expensive encounter with a lbs recently only to find no relevant place for it. Regardless, I'm feeling a bit better already.
    Last edited by pineapplehead; 14-04-2017 at 11:56 PM.

While we feel your pain, many here have great relationships with LBS's... and good experiences with customer service and warranty.

The rest of us, got fed up long ago and buy 100% online, stock spares, service, build and tweak our own shit.

Evil Following
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    Pivot Vault CX
    Fat SingleSpeed
    Cervelo R3 Disc

As would I usually. This was a once-every-blue-moon thorough going over of every little pivot bolt, etc.. the kind of service that supposedly makes it 'like new again'.

...Needless to say :(

It wouldn't be so bad if they were half honest. Some of the things that the people I ride with get told, it makes me ponder whether some bike mechanics are plain stupid or ripoff con artists.

A lady buys a pretty newish Santa Cruz, takes it in for a service and gets told the whole bike is knackered, puts a new chain on it and tells her it needs a new cassette and front ring. I looked at the drive train and it looks near new and doesn't even slip, he couldn't even tell her how it would fail but tells her it needs to be replaced.

Another one I know of is a bloke I ride with just about every weekend, we ride together a lot so both our bikes have similar ks on them, gets sold two group sets to my one. Now, I ride harder than what he does and do other rides on top of what he rides, besides this he has had parts fall off on the trails, brand new chains have snapped and brakes failed after he had them bled WTF.

No thanks, I'll just keep on servicing my own gear.
    "To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing." ~Aristotle.

Default No name and shame, prob a good thing i suppose

Quote Originally Posted by Flow-Rider View Post
    It wouldn't be so bad if they were half honest. Some of the things that the people I ride with get told, it makes me ponder whether some bike mechanics are plain stupid or ripoff con artists.

A lady buys a pretty newish Santa Cruz, takes it in for a service and gets told the whole bike is knackered, puts a new chain on it and tells her it needs a new cassette and front ring. I looked at the drive train and it looks near new and doesn't even slip, he couldn't even tell her how it would fail but tells her it needs to be replaced.

Another one I know of is a bloke I ride with just about every weekend, we ride together a lot so both our bikes have similar ks on them, gets sold two group sets to my one. Now, I ride harder than what he does and do other rides on top of what he rides, besides this he has had parts fall off on the trails, brand new chains have snapped and brakes failed after he had them bled WTF.

No thanks, I'll just keep on servicing my own gear.
    This behaviour is rife in any industry where training/licensing isn't compulsory, hell even the surgeons collage of Australia's members have been accused of price manipulation.

I've taken a few cross country racers on Epic's through proper suspension and bike setup, and the stories I hear are astounding. A mixture of NFI and price gouging.

Yelp, the online review website, really hasn't taken off here likes it has in the states. Many LBS live and die by their Yelp reviews.

A very reputable shop here in Melbourne had Redbruce's Epic apart, and on re-assembly stripped half of the thread out of the lower shock mount bolt thread in the seatstay.
    Last edited by link1896; 15-04-2017 at 08:00 AM.
    Hitler parody Only fools and people in power refuse to change their views to match reality

Similar story, son's mate saved all the money from his first job to buy a reasonable new hardtail. Took it back to the shop after whacking the RD with a stick. New RD which ate the rest of his cash and they stripped the thread in frame in the process.

So I fitted a helicoil and all good. Went to the shop and ranted and farted to be told it was like that when he dropped it off. Ah no it wasn't because I checked it out first and they had offered to fit the new RD and tune it for nothing so that is why the bike went to them.

I do all the work now. For nix.

On the plus side plenty of good news stories too...
    Itoko no roba wa ichirinshi ga dekimasen

I think it is more a city thing.
    Males often assume that females are easy pickings.
    Dog eat dog , scratching to pay the ridiculous mortgages and buy their smashed avocado.
    Generally 2 of the bike shops in our local city are very fair and honest. Another one I avoid.
    For complicated stuff I wouldnt hesitate to take my bikes to one in Albury.
    scarey but cool

Yes, I'm sure there are plenty of good stories too. THat's worth remembering.
    It's a bit like getting a car serviced, where often the necessary work isn't visible and so there's a high level of trust in what the store says to you so you go with it.

Perhaps the amount of trust invested in the lbs only compounds the sour taste when the experience turns out shit.

FWIW, I usually do all my own servicing, but on this occasion with a newish bike I wanted to take it to someone who I could trust to get the details right - seals, torquing, etc, without question. To be honest I no longer trust them and won't be going back there.

Yelp sounds like a positive resource. Most of the reviews on the facebook page of this particular lbs are suspiciously positive.

Banned

I think we've all been down the road of dodgy work done by shops.

It's also interesting how many folks with good bikes can't do so much as tune their gear shifting....

Quote Originally Posted by golden path View Post
    I think we've all been down the road of dodgy work done by shops.

It's also interesting how many folks with good bikes can't do so much as tune their gear shifting....
    Is that a dig at me? I'm not talking about gear tuning...

Let's not forget that as well as good wrenching, good service also includes a readiness to explain/demonstrate things, transparent communication, a welcoming attitude, readiness to admit mistakes, etc...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast