Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardtail build

Default Hardtail build

I've never had one. I'd like to strip down my spare bike and build something that can handle some rough, steep stuff as well as climb. I intend to build it up with plus size tyres and use my 150mm fork. Is there much between these two frames? The specs and geos seem close. Moorey, you're a Ragley fan aren't you? Would peeps you go the Ragley over the Nukeproof? Or is there something better at about that price range? Or is it horses for courses? Wheeeee....

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/a.../rp-prod145973
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/a.../rp-prod146014

Senior Member sufferthesinglespeed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    I've never had one. I'd like to strip down my spare bike and build something that can handle some rough, steep stuff as well as climb. I intend to build it up with plus size tyres and use my 150mm fork. Is there much between these two frames? The specs and geos seem close. Moorey, you're a Ragley fan aren't you? Would peeps you go the Ragley over the Nukeproof? Or is there something better at about that price range? Or is it horses for courses? Wheeeee....

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/a.../rp-prod145973
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/a.../rp-prod146014
    Nukeproof is a pretty awesome frame. Highly recommend it. Not steel though so that's about the only downer I could add.
    Long front end, short back end and a nice raked out front. Good and slack.
    If you want to go plus size tyres they probably won't fit in the 27.5 frame. There's a cable stop for a front derailleur on the back of the seat tube which would probably rub on the tyre. Would work with a 29 frame though. I believe the diameters of plus and 29 are very similar?
    Saw the prices were stupid cheap the other day too, $330 is a bargain. paid nearly double before xmas.

I'm running an NS Eccentric with 26"plus tyres 140mm fork and love it. Steel and a resnable price. Maybe you should check out frame on chain reaction. Lots of people on here use em

Quote Originally Posted by sufferthesinglespeed View Post
    Nukeproof is a pretty awesome frame. Highly recommend it. Not steel though so that's about the only downer I could add.
    Long front end, short back end and a nice raked out front. Good and slack.
    If you want to go plus size tyres they probably won't fit in the 27.5 frame. There's a cable stop for a front derailleur on the back of the seat tube which would probably rub on the tyre. Would work with a 29 frame though. I believe the diameters of plus and 29 are very similar?
    Saw the prices were stupid cheap the other day too, $330 is a bargain. paid nearly double before xmas.
    Great prices on both. Steel better because of strength or feel?

Quote Originally Posted by dynamitedread View Post
    I'm running an NS Eccentric with 26"plus tyres 140mm fork and love it. Steel and a resnable price. Maybe you should check out frame on chain reaction. Lots of people on here use em
    Non there sadly. Only a cos. damaged alu

Great prices on both. Steel better because of strength or feel?
    Feel. I went from a Cotic BFe to the Nukeproof.
    Steel is a better material but that said, I'm plenty happy with the Scout
    Sizing was good. I'm big so XL is nice

Quote Originally Posted by sufferthesinglespeed View Post
    Feel. I went from a Cotic BFe to the Nukeproof.
    Steel is a better material but that said, I'm plenty happy with the Scout
    Sizing was good. I'm big so XL is nice
    Yep, Scout looks good. How tall are you? I normally ride med. Does the Scout run smaller or larger to size. Or at 5'10 will med do?

Hey chigs. Haven't tried a nuke, so can't comment, but really like the Ragley frames. What size are you, btw? There's a complete cracker out there for way too cheap.

edit. M, I see now. This one is XL, which is really more of an L.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTmofo View Post
    Think I'll just buy an Orange!

Yep, Scout looks good. How tall are you? I normally ride med. Does the Scout run smaller or larger to size. Or at 5'10 will med do?
    Probably larger. In the XL it is long in front. Which I'm loving.
    As a guide this bike has a similar wheelbase to my Enduro 29r which is also an XL.
    I'm 6'3".
    Check the geo charts against the bike you're riding now as a guide to sizing.

Hey mate. Doing the exact same project atm.

Was also tossing up between the ragley and scput and ended up going with the scout. While the ragley was steel and had the spec i was after i think it was just that bit too racked out for what i wanted (64deg). I did plan on just fixing this abit by lowering the fork to 140mm but it wpuld have lowered the BB to much and people are already complaning that the cranks hit everything as is with a 150mm fork. Where as the nukeproof is a nice 66deg with a 140mm fork. I ended up choosing the L (18") frame as im 5'10. The medium (16.5") has a reach of only 415mm which is miles to small for myself. Reach and stack is the only 2 measurements that you can use to compare different bikes sizings. Just think back to a bike you felt super comfy on and check what reach and stack it had and it makes choosing a size way easier.
    Last edited by Mr_hANky; 17-04-2017 at 03:09 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast