Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 105

Thread: aviation welding australia, any good on mtb fix

  1. #1
    Vealcake
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    848

    Default aviation welding australia, any good on mtb fix

    Hi guys, went riding today on the cove and due to my rad riding skills it appears that I have put a crack under the headtube. I had just done a fairly mild jump of about 2 foot or so and next thing I hear is a weird noise coming from the bike, continued riding for the day and inspected it when I got home, little bit of paint cracking away under the headtube. I got out the paint stripper and took off the paint and sure as shit there is a hairline crack about 1cm long, barely noticeable until you look hard, point is I want to keep the frame as it is sweet as but need to get it fixed. To be honest I don't have faith in the Lismore welders to sort this out so did a google and pulled up aviation welding Australia based at archerfield qld.
    Anyone had any dealings with this mob and are they any good at bikes, they say they do alum bike fixes, any idea of cost of a small weld, cheers for any help
    I broke my cove doing xc, pretty sad

  2. #2
    Senior Member T-Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Shore, Sydney
    Posts
    2,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by safreek View Post
    Hi guys, went riding today on the cove and due to my rad riding skills it appears that I have put a crack under the headtube. I had just done a fairly mild jump of about 2 foot or so and next thing I hear is a weird noise coming from the bike, continued riding for the day and inspected it when I got home, little bit of paint cracking away under the headtube. I got out the paint stripper and took off the paint and sure as shit there is a hairline crack about 1cm long, barely noticeable until you look hard, point is I want to keep the frame as it is sweet as but need to get it fixed. To be honest I don't have faith in the Lismore welders to sort this out so did a google and pulled up aviation welding Australia based at archerfield qld.
    Anyone had any dealings with this mob and are they any good at bikes, they say they do alum bike fixes, any idea of cost of a small weld, cheers for any help
    I broke my cove doing xc, pretty sad
    I wouldn't bother, just send it to Gripsport in Melbourne. They have done a few welding jobs for me over the years, and all they do is bike stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drizz
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

    http://www.ccomtb.com.au

    Follow us on Facebook: Central Coast Ourimbah MTB

  3. #3
    Clinically Inane
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    18,192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by safreek View Post
    Hi guys, went riding today on the cove and due to my rad riding skills it appears that I have put a crack under the headtube. I had just done a fairly mild jump of about 2 foot or so and next thing I hear is a weird noise coming from the bike, continued riding for the day and inspected it when I got home, little bit of paint cracking away under the headtube. I got out the paint stripper and took off the paint and sure as shit there is a hairline crack about 1cm long, barely noticeable until you look hard, point is I want to keep the frame as it is sweet as but need to get it fixed. To be honest I don't have faith in the Lismore welders to sort this out so did a google and pulled up aviation welding Australia based at archerfield qld.
    Anyone had any dealings with this mob and are they any good at bikes, they say they do alum bike fixes, any idea of cost of a small weld, cheers for any help
    I broke my cove doing xc, pretty sad
    Like T-rex says...get a headtube and paint upgrade while you're at it.

  4. #4
    Vealcake
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T-Rex View Post
    I wouldn't bother, just send it to Gripsport in Melbourne. They have done a few welding jobs for me over the years, and all they do is bike stuff.
    but I am just after a quick little weld, with post and such it would cost me a fortune, I am just hoping to get it sorted next time I go to brizzy
    Quote Originally Posted by pink poodle View Post
    Like T-rex says...get a headtube and paint upgrade while you're at it.
    Shirley you jest, me afford a new paint job. I wish

  5. #5
    Isn't flammable. moorey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Buninyong
    Posts
    26,219

    Default

    You and your old shitters/tight arse fixes....just buy an orange or 6, amateur.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTmofo View Post
    Think I'll just buy an Orange!

  6. #6
    Clinically Inane
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    18,192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by safreek View Post
    but I am just after a quick little weld, with post and such it would cost me a fortune, I am just hoping to get it sorted next time I go to brizzy


    Shirley you jest, me afford a new paint job. I wish
    There is no quick little weld...any half arsed effort will just be a waste on money and likely weaken the structure further. Get it done right and be happy.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,999

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pink poodle View Post
    There is no quick little weld...any half arsed effort will just be a waste on money and likely weaken the structure further. Get it done right and be happy.
    It's only a headtube, what's the worst that could happen ....

  8. #8
    Senior Member dunndog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    3,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pink poodle View Post
    There is no quick little weld...any half arsed effort will just be a waste on money and likely weaken the structure further. Get it done right and be happy.
    There sure is! Send it to me, I'll put a little dab on it and send it straight back. I'll e mail you the 50 page waiver document first though, stating I assume no responsibility for the inevitable paraplegia that could follow catastrophic frame failure.
    Or, if you like your body parts where they are, send it to gripsport.
    I won't beat you to the punch, i'll punch you to the beat - Hilltop Hoods

  9. #9
    Senior Member link1896's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,903

    Default

    I've a drill bit and a hose clamp.........
    Hitler parody Only fools and people in power refuse to change their views to match reality

  10. #10
    Clinically Inane
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    18,192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by link1896 View Post
    I've a drill bit and a hose clamp.........
    You could just drill out the crack.


    Why not gaff tape it?

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •