Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I crazy for not wearing a helmet.

Default Am I crazy for not wearing a helmet.

First of all, I take a helmet with me if I know I'm going to ride aggressively in certain sections of the trail (and I obviously wear it for those sections) however when I'm riding my normal trails in a super "under control" fashion I just I find helmets super stifling, and restrictive.
    In my 15 years of cycling, I can count on two hands the amount of times I've had a stack while riding non-aggressively, and I don't recall ever landing head first.

I'm not talking about playing chicken in traffic here, I'm talking about dirt track cycling.

Am I crazy? Should helmets be worn religiously or is judicious application reasonable?

How many of you ALWAYS wear one?

well, it's recommended to wear a helmet if you're going to do single or double blacks when you're riding aggressively as you might crack your head open from a crash, AND if you're out street riding with a mtb, especially when you're in the city when there's cops around.

But in my opinion, it's fine to not wear a helmet if you ride in a cruising pace, if you're comfortable with it but do it at your own risk.

I don't wear a helmet if my trip's not that far or if I'm riding along the beach, but most of the time, wearing a helmet is encouraged

Which newspaper/MSM do you work for?
    Be careful with that, it was new once.

Meh, in any other country this would be a silly question.
    I would say that if you don't feel the need, then you're probably not really mountain biking, but there's nothing inherently dangerous about quietly​ rolling through the countryside with no lid

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by schred View Post
    Which newspaper/MSM do you work for?

Lols

Surely it's not that controversial a question
    Successful trades with chopsticks McGee, Dirty Dingo, FinancialWar, and gave someone I can't remember a pedal wrench extension.

And reckons he's going to do 80km per week for 2016 min

This has all been argued on here before. Pros, cons, nanny state, tax payers money wasted on Medicare to fix people Yada Yada Yada.....

All I'll say is.... go for it, knock yourself out... just do it at your own cost and not on any of the trails I ride. I hate my strava times being compromised by rescue crews out in the bush picking vegetables.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

If you carry your helmet in an appropriate back pack and you look ''Enduro'' I think it is fine not to wear it.

I think if you do not wear a skid lid then maybe you have fallen on your head one too many times already.
    I say let natural selection take it's course.

Nothing wrong with it under the right circumstances. I often climb helmetless as it's less sweaty. Anything faster than jogging speed and it goes back on.
    Five Five Nine

I always seem to bin it when I least expect it, so pretty much always wear my helmet. I would feel pretty stupid if I cracked my head open when my helmet was hanging from my bars or pack.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast