Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To those flying the Eagle - what size chainrings are you running?

Default To those flying the Eagle - what size chainrings are you running?

I'm geeking out on gear inches and am seriously tempted by the fantastic spread of the Eagle. Just wondering if folks are using the increased spread at the low end or high end. I tend to ride up some very steep hills and would be tending towards a 30 or 32t up front as I'm not fussed about spinning out on steep tech tracks on the way down and never chase fire road KOMs haha.

At the moment I have a 32 x 46 combination (on a 170/160mm bike), giving me 19.59 gear inches (81.46 at the other end), which I'm finding not quite low enough. As it's an 11 - 46t cassette, I'm reluctant to go to a 28 or 30 on the front as then I won't have enough at the other end.

Other bike (130/125mm) has 32 x 42 combo (21.27/89.57), which, whilst being a much lighter bike, also isn't quite low enough for sustained mega-steep climbs.

Very tempted by the 32 x 50 Eagle combo giving 17.91 at one end and 89.57 at the other. Wish Sunrace or Shimano would come out with an 11 - 50t cassette as that would save a lot of $$...

What front rings are y'all running on Eagle?

##edit: I see the One Up Shark cogs are a cheap(ish) fix.

####edit: Has anyone tried using the One Up 50t with a Sram derailleur? Would it work on a Sunrace cassette I wonder?
    Last edited by Nautonier; 21-04-2017 at 12:33 PM.
    safreek: if I want an arse pounding I will go to the correct toilet block

I'm not running eagle as I don't see a need, but I do run a xx1 and a shimano both with 42. The shimano I run with a 30 at front and sram with 28. The sram has heaps more top speed with that extra cog at the back, but really it's not common to think I don't have enough on the shimano bike, it'll still spin up to 50kmh on a downhill piece of road, you just spin 20 times then coast etc

Don't forget about the 9 tooth options by e13 and Leonardi racing, but you need to have direct mount sram cranksets to get good chainlines on a 28 or even 26 is available as well, so much of this question depends on what you have on the front
    Successful trades with chopsticks McGee, Dirty Dingo, FinancialWar, and gave someone I can't remember a pedal wrench extension.

And reckons he's going to do 80km per week for 2016 min

I'm running a 32 up front, only had 4 rides on it so far but I'm yet to hit the granny, when the bike goes in for its check up in three months I'll be putting a 34 on (depending on space as the 32 is already tight).
    Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience...

Quote Originally Posted by pharmaboy View Post
    I'm not running eagle as I don't see a need, but I do run a xx1 and a shimano both with 42. The shimano I run with a 30 at front and sram with 28. The sram has heaps more top speed with that extra cog at the back, but really it's not common to think I don't have enough on the shimano bike, it'll still spin up to 50kmh on a downhill piece of road, you just spin 20 times then coast etc

Don't forget about the 9 tooth options by e13 and Leonardi racing, but you need to have direct mount sram cranksets to get good chainlines on a 28 or even 26 is available as well, so much of this question depends on what you have on the front
    Good point, I'm running Sram direct mount GXP on both bikes. Interesting to see you're running a 28t up front with the 10 - 42, that's giving you a very low gear of 18.75 gear inches, which would be enough for the toughest climbs.

I see that Sunrace have indeed come up with an 11 - 50t solution! Looks like it will work with standard Shimano and Sram derailleurs.

http://singletrackworld.com/2017/03/...-50t-cassette/

Quote Originally Posted by Nautonier View Post
    Good point, I'm running Sram direct mount GXP on both bikes. Interesting to see you're running a 28t up front with the 10 - 42, that's giving you a very low gear of 18.75 gear inches, which would be enough for the toughest climbs.

I see that Sunrace have indeed come up with an 11 - 50t solution! Looks like it will work with standard Shimano and Sram derailleurs.

http://singletrackworld.com/2017/03/...-50t-cassette/
    BTW! I should have mentioned I'm 29" only, there's about a gear difference between that and a 27.5, so I'd just go with your own gut reaction, and that is you need one more easier gear - everyone's needs are so dependent on where they ride, how, with whom and what bike
    Successful trades with chopsticks McGee, Dirty Dingo, FinancialWar, and gave someone I can't remember a pedal wrench extension.

And reckons he's going to do 80km per week for 2016 min

BTW! I should have mentioned I'm 29" only, there's about a gear difference between that and a 27.5, so I'd just go with your own gut reaction, and that is you need one more easier gear - everyone's needs are so dependent on where they ride, how, with whom and what bike
    Oh yes, I forgot to mention that I'm on 27.5" bikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Nautonier View Post
    At the moment I have a 32 x 46 combination (on a 170/160mm bike), giving me 19.59 gear inches (81.46 at the other end), which I'm finding not quite low enough. As it's an 11 - 46t cassette, I'm reluctant to go to a 28 or 30 on the front as then I won't have enough at the other end.
    When I'm riding I just think about 'gears' rather than gear inches and if you're not changing anything else on your bike (tyre size, etc) I think that's the best starting point for trying to anticipate what changes you should make.

Do you wish you had 'one more gear'? Two?

If you're currently running a Shimano 11-46T then as you change down from your sixth down to your second lowest the difference is consistently 1417% each time. The leap from second to the granny is 24%. If Shimano made a hypothetical 12s cassette that added another granny which had the same jump it would be a 57T. And even if it was just a 'regular' jump it'd be something like a 54T.

The upshot being if you bought Eagle and kept the same 32T chainring you'd only be gaining about 'half' a gear at best at the low end. I doubt that's going to be a noticeable difference. I think you're going to need to go to a 30T at the front regardless of what you do with the cassette (stick with what you've got and lose top end speed, or buy Eagle or an aftermarket cassette for Shimano with smaller cogs if you're not prepared to give that up).

This gear calculator is good for comparing combinations if you don't want to set up an Excel table from scratch.

This.

Asking people what gears they ride is useless to you. You already know what you ride, how fit you are, and in particular what trails you're currently struggling on. Back your experience to decide if you need 'one more gear', 'two more gears' (or even just 'half a gear') and only after you've done that then start playing with Excel or an online gear calculator to work out a suitable configuration.

It's hard to quantify exactly in terms of needing 'extra gears', but yes, I agree that it's personal preference. I think the best way forward is experimentation, which can hopefully be achieved at minimal cost if I start with chain rings.

I find that gear inches are a useful measurement as it's easy to see the differences across cassettes and chain rings.

In terms of an 'extra gear', my understanding based on comments above, is that this is a gear which is approximately the same percentage jump up from the last one. At the moment it feels like the bike with 32 x 46 is giving me less than one extra gear from the bike with 32 x 42. Should we call this 'half a gear'?

Not sure how the unit of gears relates to graduations on the chain ring. Would going from 32 x 42 to 30 x 42 be more than an extra gear? Two? How many gear inches is a gear?

At the moment I can confirm that I'd like about half a gear more on the 32 x 46 bike and a whole extra gear on the 32 x 42 bike. At a guess I'd imagine this would be about the same as 32 x 50.

Got thru the Otway 300 with eagle on 32t up front. Even the 25% sections were a breeze. Just rode up with steady cadence and kept the weight over the front end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast