Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Entry level gravel grinder

Quote Originally Posted by droenn View Post
    Also came across this bike today scott speedster gravel 20 - currently 20% off which brings it down to $1500

Attachment 338096
    we have some of these, pretty sure we have a ex-demo at 25 or 30% off too, and a bunch of CX versions and some GT Grades @ 20% off.

So many strong choices, the focus offers some of the best bang I've come across, hard to compete against!

New Diverge gets released today. Germans have already got them up https://www.specialized.com/de/de/me...rmance/diverge

I think the Aus Spez dealers might have them on floor today, but webpage/prices haven't been updated as yet.

Quote Originally Posted by droenn View Post
    New Diverge gets released today. Germans have already got them up https://www.specialized.com/de/de/me...rmance/diverge

I think the Aus Spez dealers might have them on floor today, but webpage/prices haven't been updated as yet.
    They're up in Aus now. As a current diverge owner i'll be in no hurry to upgrade. Horrendous value IMO. 4K and it weights nearly 10kg. Sneakily they've used a lesser grade of carbon this year as well. Then there's that crazy stack height with the future shock, like riding a step through. Plenty of other options out there these days.

Quote Originally Posted by beardi View Post
    Then there's that crazy stack height with the future shock ...
    I had to see it with my own eyes.

This line in one review really stood out: The Diverge uses a progressive spring that gradually gets stiffer through the full range of its travel.

They're talking about spring rate curves over less than an inch of travel. Could someone really even notice that?

Well it can't be all "bump-klunk" can it?

The stock supplied riser bars wont help that stack height either.

Think I'm going to go the Bombtrack.... ;)

I have ridden heaps of these bikes and depending on how rough and steep the gravel really is , they are better with straight bars with brake levers mtbike style.
    better control and when its steep you want to push your weight back which is difficult w roadbike type brakes.
    Just sayin' I know the other is more fashionable.
    scarey but cool

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyflat View Post
    I have ridden heaps of these bikes and depending on how rough and steep the gravel really is , they are better with straight bars with brake levers mtbike style.
    better control and when its steep you want to push your weight back which is difficult w roadbike type brakes.
    Just sayin' I know the other is more fashionable.
    Completely agree. 90% of the gravel focussed rides in my area are faster and more fun of the mtb than the CX rig ... But there is something fun about the drop bars and skinny tyres.

Picked up the Bombtrack Arise this evening. Off to Melbourne in the morning so won't get to ride it until Sat, but it looks like a lot of fun though!

I've got a steel HT 29er already, so think I should be covered for all bases now when it comes to gravel :)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast