Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yeti SB5C - Rejoining the Tribe

Default Yeti SB5C - Rejoining the Tribe

So I picked up a Yeti SB5C out of the US on special. My Stable was comprised of a Canyon Strive, Specialized Stumpy FSR and a Kona Honzo Ti, and after coil shocking and throwing some Fox 36's on the Stumpy I was finding that it covered most of what I asked of the Strive. The initial plan was to transfer the Strive's build kit over to the new Yeti, and just be a straight plug in a new frame, but after I was able to let it go for a good price and a mate hooked me up with ENVE's for it, I decided to start from scratch.

I just finished building the bike tonight!! So time to list the build kit and I'll get her out for a ride tomorrow.

Yeti SB5c Large

Wheels
    Rims: ENVE M70 Thirty
    Hubs: DT Swiss 240s 142x12 / 20x110
    Spokes: DT Swiss Aerolite Bladed Spokes
    Tyres: WTB Convict 2.5 @ 25PSI / Trail Boss 2.4 @ 28PSI
    Decals: Hasdesign.pt

Suspension
    Forks: Suntour Durolux R2C2 150mm
    Pressure: 105PSI
    Settings: HSC 4 Clicks, LSC 10 Clicks, HSR 2 Clicks, LSR 6 Clicks out.
    Shock: DT Swiss R414 200x51
    Pressure: 280PSI
    Settings: 5 Clicks out rebound

Cockpit
    Seatpost: Specialized Command Post IR 125mm
    Saddle: WTB Silverado
    Handlebars: Chromag OSX 35 FuBars 800mm with 30mm rise
    Grips: Ergon
    Stem: Easton Haven 35, 40mm
    Pedals: Shimano XT M785

Drivetrain
    Brakes: Shimano Saint M820
    Rotors: Shimano XT Ice-Tech 203/180mm
    Cranks: Shimano SLX M7000
    Derailleur: Shimano SLX M7000
    Shifter: Shimano XT M8000 i-spec B
    Cassette: Shimano XT M8000 11-42
    Chainring: OneUp 34t Oval for Shimano XT/SLX
    Chain: KMC 11.93
    Guide: OneUp

Just one shitty image for now, but I will talk about a few things with the build choices and notable mentions.

The Durolux forks are marketed as a very reliable pair of forks. They don't run a bladder type damper, but a coil sprung IFP as well as big coil negative spring. Reducing the travel on the forks was amazingly easy! The lowers drop off without much fiddling, and are designed to run with just suspension grease inside the lower, rather than any synthetic fluid, so it's a relatively clean affair the first time. On Suntour's recommendation, I have added 10CC of Fox Gold w30 to each leg just to keep them running smoothly; something that can be added even with the lowers kept on, as there are bleed ports to the Foam Rings that can just be opened and a threaded syringe used to fill them. Anyway, once you unscrew the cap to the air leg, it's just a matter of popping clips on the top of the coil negative spring (same ones used to clip onto the air shaft to volume space that spring curve). The whole process took all of 10mins.
    I'll report on ride quality later, but positive feeling with the little stuff in the drive way I did tonight. It's not the lightest fork, but you can feel that stoutness holding it, the lowers fork arch is MASSIVE and has very little honeycombing in the back of it.

Choice of Shock was a bit left of center. I knew I wanted an air-shock for this bike, and something with decent oil volume. I did want to go matchy matchy and try and get the Suntour UNAir LO-R, but couldn't find anyone who stocked/sold them. The DT Swiss won me over after sifting through lots of German reviews (pretty much couldn't find a single native English speaker who'd used one). The DT Swiss shocks run on a Spherical bearing on their eyelet hardware, the intent being that lateral forces across the shock body are now taken up with the bearing which reduces sensitivity loss due to side loads on the bushings and shaft inside the shock. Also means you can do this to the shock while everything is done up to spec (see video). The long 200hr service interval on it kind of fitted in with the theme of serviceability and reliability in regards to the suspension package in general, but it's also quite a high volume inline shock, both oil and air-wise so it should be able to run pretty aggressively.

Anyway, enough of a blab from me. I will get some better photos of it tomorrow as these dingy little poor lit things don't really do it justice; that is of course assuming I can stop riding it for long enough to take a photo. Really keen to get it out on the trails and see what I can do.
    Last edited by Zaf; 02-06-2017 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Proper photos of the bike with cable routing details added.

Cheers Zaf - thanks for the incredible amount of info you put into nearly every update.

Question: If the SJ fills the Strive void, what does this SB5C do? I'm guessing something more poppy & playful?

Congrats on the new rig Zaf! Interesting selection of parts look forward to hearing more about the fork and shock.

Quote Originally Posted by hifiandmtb View Post
    Cheers Zaf - thanks for the incredible amount of info you put into nearly every update.

Question: If the SJ fills the Strive void, what does this SB5C do? I'm guessing something more poppy & playful?
    I really can't properly describe how good the Stumpy is. Put some light wheels and the stock shock on it, and it's pretty playful, put some Fox 36's and a Coiler on it and it performs on par with big rigs! (I'm honestly not surprised that Gravesy runs on for EWS, they are an extremely versatile bike).
    So I'm HOPING this will be as you say, the poppy and playful trail rig that I can do some of the local XC races on without feeling like what one of those guys who Enduro's on DH rigs. That might make some of my componentry look awkward, "why go the HUGE fork and Saint brakes?!". The Saint brakes I had leftover from my Yeti SB66c, and they're brilliant, even having used Guide RSC's, I would go Saints over them for brake feel and power. I'm also 6'1", 90kg with an ex-butterfly sprint swimmer's body (think Richie Rude if he were taller, slower, and with a Portuguese background) I can flex equipment a bit; so I've come to appreciate front end stiffness a lot more since I've used the "big" forks.
    That said, it's something I notice more when i go BACK to a flexy fork, not so much when going the other way. It's a stiffness you realise once it's gone, not while it's there.

Quote Originally Posted by teK-- View Post
    Congrats on the new rig Zaf! Interesting selection of parts look forward to hearing more about the fork and shock.
    Yeah, I'm hoping for good things!!! I hear that the negative spring assembly can rattle in the tube a little under successive hits, and the damper controls don't have a HUGE range of adjustment like that Fox's. High Speed Compression and Rebound are a five and four click adjustment (respectively) that have a more profound jump between clicks. The Low Speeds dials each have 18 clicks to them, really good feeling knobs too. The High Speed adjust dial on the Fox 36's can feel a little vague as to if it has clicked in or not, especially if you've got gloves on and are on the bike, but these ones are really clear to fiddle with.

Love the yellow on the Yeti. It's a nice change from the usual blue everyone gets.

Curious about your experience buying from the states. I've bought new out of the states before and from memory it was about $250 to get a frame shipped. Did you run into problems with a seller saying they were forbidden from selling to Aus? Or was this second hand.

Looking good! Keen to hear how it compares to the rest of the stable.

Quote Originally Posted by slider_phil View Post
    Love the yellow on the Yeti. It's a nice change from the usual blue everyone gets.

Curious about your experience buying from the states. I've bought new out of the states before and from memory it was about $250 to get a frame shipped. Did you run into problems with a seller saying they were forbidden from selling to Aus? Or was this second hand.

Looking good! Keen to hear how it compares to the rest of the stable.
    There was certain process of shipping this frame... all I can only say is "a mate did me a solid" in order to get it into country.
    That said I bought it from the same place that I got the SB66c (backcountry.com), and with that frame I shipped it into country via more mainstream methods; using a postal forwarding company within the States. Back then it cost about $250 in express TNT shipping but they got it to me within 7 days!!! I think the forwarder was called "shipitto" or something like that, I haven't had much call to use it since other than the broken dogbones on my SB66c.

That bike looks rad Zaf.
    I like turtles!

Quote Originally Posted by Zaf View Post
    There was certain process of shitting this frame... all I can only say is "a mate did me a solid" .
    Obviously a diet high in fibre, carbon fibre.

I haven't made up my mind if you are incredibly indecisive with your bike choices, or incredibly decisive with your bike choices.

Either way, love it when I get to live vicariously in a new Zaf thread!

Interested to hear how you find the switch infinity to ride/maintain.
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

New ASR Carbon http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/show...-bike-post-33*

My Yeti ASR Carbon *STOLEN* http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/show...on-Bling-9-9kg
    My retired Yeti ARC http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/show...pdate-post-26*

Quote Originally Posted by k3n!f View Post
    I haven't made up my mind if you are incredibly indecisive with your bike choices, or incredibly decisive with your bike choices.
    He's very choosy. He just makes lots of choices.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they're fun to push down the stairs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast