Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 29er trail rigs with a dash of enduro

Default 29er trail rigs with a dash of enduro

Hi folks.

Am looking at a new rig around September and it will most likely be a 29er. So am after some opinions/long term ride reports on the Yeti SB5.5, the SC Hightower if possible?

Also waiting to see what Rocky Mountain does with the next-gen Instinct (loved the old model - rode it in BC a few times). Also might as well throw in any long-term reports on the SB4.5 i guess as well.

My riding is primarily Sydney Northern Beaches but also Tathra (it's near my hometown) and Camberra and mostly trail but with all the caveats that apply to riding on the Beaches, i.e. a mix of trail/enduro style trails. Migth even get a trip to Derby in this year...

Skill-wise I am intermediate; fitness is poor (coming back from yet another long-term injury)

Anyway, throw any/all opinions my way and thanks in advance!

JW

Have been on an Intense Primer since August last year and love it. Started out with a 150mm fork on it and have since gone full monster truck with a 57mm stroke shock to give 140 rear travel and 160 up front. Heaps of fun, a weapon in the air, climbs well and just playful.
    IF THERE ARE NO STUPID QUESTIONS, THEN WHAT KIND OF QUESTIONS DO STUPID PEOPLE ASK?........DO THEY GET SMART JUST IN TIME TO ASK QUESTIONS?

Quote Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
    Have been on an Intense Primer since August last year and love it. Started out with a 150mm fork on it and have since gone full monster truck with a 57mm stroke shock to give 140 rear travel and 160 up front. Heaps of fun, a weapon in the air, climbs well and just playful.
    Another Primer rider here with a big thumbs up, although I've set mine up more trail than monster truck (140mm fork/ 130mm rear). Really is a one arrow in the quiver trail bike, you'd have to be smashing some serious jumps and drop offs to get beyond its capabilities.

Not happy, Jan.

Mate of mine got this - http://www.bikemag.com/gear/mountain...LR8x6ycrTHw.97

He seems to rate it.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Kona are due to revamp their Process lineup and the word is they will be coming in 29" (And Carbon)

It might be worth looking at the Canfield Riot. A mate has one and they're very capable. I believe 140mm rear too...

Yeti 4.5 is very capable or try an Intense 4inch . Bottom line- it sounds like you will ride trails like the rest of us with alittle chunk thrown in. You arent fit so dont get something big travel and heavy for the 2% of the time it will be used. Get a 4-5 inch duellie you can beef up or lighten as required. Something light and capable will be more pleasant for mere mortals. I ride a SC Tall Boy LT and it is more than enough for 98% of my riding and the other 2% - well Im probably too old anyway.
    Look secondhand too and ensure you have a good set of wheels- makes a big difference.

I like the look of the Pivot Switchblade. Designed to run reverse-mullet style 150f 135r.

Having said that ... I value both my kidneys and children too much to think about new bikes these days.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone - great feedback and have added a few of those bikes to the list!
    Cheers,
    JW

Quote Originally Posted by rangersac View Post
    Another Primer rider here with a big thumbs up, although I've set mine up more trail than monster truck (140mm fork/ 130mm rear). Really is a one arrow in the quiver trail bike, you'd have to be smashing some serious jumps and drop offs to get beyond its capabilities.
    Thanks Ranger - def. going to check these bikes out.

JW

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast