Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lockring different, is my ss kit useless

Vealcake

Default Lockring different, is my ss kit useless

Hi guys , I have a spare wheel that I intended to turn into a single speed, upon getting the kit it seems like the lockring is of a different kind.
    Is it possible to just take the old one off , do the kit and then use the new one.
    Or do I have a cheap cassette set up that will never work. Photos included
    IMG_20170603_102103.jpg
    IMG_20170605_200656.jpg

Clinically Inane

...could be time for a confession! Or it is just about a different mounting tool. Thread and diameter are going to be the important things here. Get your pin spanner out and crack that hub open.

Vealcake

Quote Originally Posted by pink poodle View Post
    ...could be time for a confession! Or it is just about a different mounting tool. Thread and diameter are going to be the important things here. Get your pin spanner out and crack that hub open.
    Ha ha, funny bugger. Pin spanner. I did intend to whack it with a small file and a big hammer, probably won't because you mentioned the fuckwit thread. May take it to bikeshop and see, fuck it more money

your wheel uses a screw on free wheel. its an older style of cassette (often used on cheap bikes..) where the ratchet is part of the cassette not the hub
    you could use a std screw on SS freewheel but the chainline may end up whack

Is it one of the old shitters where the cassette and freehub are one single part?

edit. Beaten. ^
    Quote Originally Posted by JTmofo View Post
    Think I'll just buy an Orange!

Clinically Inane

Quote Originally Posted by safreek View Post
    Ha ha, funny bugger. Pin spanner. I did intend to whack it with a small file and a big hammer, probably won't because you mentioned the fuckwit thread. May take it to bikeshop and see, fuck it more money
    Don't you have something that will fit into those 2 holes on your lock ring? I once made one from a paper clip. I doubt that will work in this situation, your cassette looks pretty aged...

Clinically Inane

Quote Originally Posted by merc-blue View Post
    your wheel uses a screw on free wheel. its an older style of cassette (often used on cheap bikes..) where the ratchet is part of the cassette not the hub
    you could use a std screw on SS freewheel but the chainline may end up whack
    Quote Originally Posted by moorey View Post
    Is it one of the old shitters where the cassette and freehub are one single part?

edit. Beaten. ^
    So much confessing needed at every turn. Can we send the Reverend to Lismore to help out?

Senior Member sufferthesinglespeed's Avatar

That's an old school screw on cassette.
    Need a special tool to unlock it. Not expensive but you can't use the stuff you bought already
    Won't accept a new style cassette. But you can buy SS cassettes to fit.
    My old roadie has the same setup. I bought that roadie in '89.
    Was pretty high end back then.

Vealcake

Thanks for the help guys, looks like I won't bother with that piece of shit, shame cause it's heavy as fuck, that I like
    Any one got a cheap set of modern wheels. Off to the wanted section shortly

Vealcake

Quote Originally Posted by pink poodle View Post
    So much confessing needed at every turn. Can we send the Reverend to Lismore to help out?
    Most of them have been banged up for indiscretions so you may need to send one. Not going into a booth with one of them though, that's more dangerous than me and a set of tools

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast