Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade parts or new bike?

Default Upgrade parts or new bike?

Hey Guys,

Have been cruising round on a 2015 Giant Trance 2 for the last 9ish months. Great bike, but starting see limitations as I get more confidence as i enjoy going down faster (probably still slower than most) in the front forks (Fox float 32's).

Currently upgraded from previous owner is
    - Rear Wheel (AlexRims XD Lite)
    - Novatec D042SB rear hub
    - 1 x 10 conversion with XT derailer
    - XT gear shifter
    - Tubeless
    - Shimano saint flats

Question is, Do I upgrade the trance front suspension (pikes), or should I just except the bike for what it is, sell it and buy a 2nd hand 2016 reign or similar all mountain bike?

Does it have the potential to be a great bike with the above current upgrades and a new set of forks?

Love how the trance climbs, but for the cost of new forks, is it worth upgrading it?

Cheers
    Last edited by s4undy; 10-06-2017 at 05:00 PM.

The trance with 150/160 forks is an absolute weapon of a bike, and more trail friendly than the reign.

The new xfusion forks are very good for the coin, and a fair bit cheaper than a pike. I got one for my old mans trance, lengthened it to 160mm and it rides pretty bloody well.

How's the rest of the bike specced? if everything works and you haven't had any problems why bother sidegrading to a soon to be obsolete reign (giant has a three year life cycle on frames, reigns due for an upgrade). If you like how the trance climbs, you won't like the reign. Bang a 150mm pike/mattoc/xfusion something/DVOsomething and you won't sacrifice much climbing, but will end up with a much stiffer, better fork. Fox 32's are rubbish on a trance, completely hamstrings a capable frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckles View Post
    I rode Newtown, before it was cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra Lord View Post
    The trance with 150/160 forks is an absolute weapon of a bike, and more trail friendly than the reign.

The new xfusion forks are very good for the coin, and a fair bit cheaper than a pike. I got one for my old mans trance, lengthened it to 160mm and it rides pretty bloody well.

How's the rest of the bike specced? if everything works and you haven't had any problems why bother sidegrading to a soon to be obsolete reign (giant has a three year life cycle on frames, reigns due for an upgrade). If you like how the trance climbs, you won't like the reign. Bang a 150mm pike/mattoc/xfusion something/DVOsomething and you won't sacrifice much climbing, but will end up with a much stiffer, better fork. Fox 32's are rubbish on a trance, completely hamstrings a capable frame.
    Cheers mate,

I edit my original post with current upgrades it already has from the previous owner.
    I have spent abit ironing out some kinks like getting the dropper post working properly and am happy with it the bike aside from the front suspension, I will look into the forks you mentioned.

1x10 xt a tough set up. I think tyres are the biggest mod you can make. I've just put on 2.35 ikon tyres on my xc bike (epic) and at 20psi my bike appears faster than ever. Even xc racing I have more grip more comfort and more confidence. So maybe try bigger tyres as a mod cos the trance is a great value ride and xt will outlive religion. Carbon bars to smooth things out a bit too ey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Theres a guy on here selling a set of xfusion forks for 250, the same ones I bought my old man. It's in a transition trans-am for sale thread.

Very easily adjusted and serviced, they do some good how-to's on the youtubes

There's a pike for sale here might be worth a look.

With respect to fox, any fork will feel miles ahead of a fox 32 for general riding push come to shove.
    Be careful with that, it was new once.

Any 32mm fork is going to feel pretty floppy once you go beyond 120mm travel. Something with 34 or 36mm stanchions will feel a lot more planted. As others have said above, the Trance is a much better all-rounder than the Reign, which is worth keeping in mind if you're going to be riding up hills on any moderately frequent basis. Chuck a 160mm in it & you'll basically have a Trance SX, which we only got for one year here, but other markets got it for several years.
    Just ride the bloody thing and enjoy yourself!

I build wheels... :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra Lord View Post
    Theres a guy on here selling a set of xfusion forks for 250, the same ones I bought my old man. It's in a transition trans-am for sale thread.

Very easily adjusted and serviced, they do some good how-to's on the youtubes
    Do you have a link mate? Can't seem to find it...

In regard to looking for a decent second hand fork... what requirements do I need to meet apart from needing to be for a 27.5?

I see things like steerer length etc.

Eg. Found some 2014 Dual position 160mm pikes RCT3/27.5 in an 18.5cm steerer length?

Would this be suitable?

Regarding steerer length, pull your current forks out and measure it.

From memory you'll need a new headset as giant had this shitty proprietary headtube that doesn't go with standard tapered forks, but your local giant shop should have a giant branded headset that will allow you to run a standard tapered steerer. Its got giant over the top cap but there fsa I'm pretty sure. Not too expensive either. And you might need to swap out the bearing race on the steerer. The shop should be able to help you out with that, or a quick google will give you a how-to i imagine.

Maybe a new adapter for the front brake if the mounts differ, I'm not sure what fox run. 15mm axle on both?

https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...ransam-650b-XL
    Last edited by Ultra Lord; 10-06-2017 at 11:01 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast