Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swapping my 150mm travel bike for a 120mm

Default Swapping my 150mm travel bike for a 120mm

Thinking of Downsizing my 150mm/140mm, 650b Norco Sight and swapping it for a 29er with 120mm rig.

What would be a good swap that is not xc orientated, but trail like, sub 69deg head angle ?

Quote Originally Posted by outerlimits View Post
    Thinking of Downsizing my 150mm/140mm, 650b Norco Sight and swapping it for a 29er with 120mm rig.

What would be a good swap that is not xc orientated, but trail like, sub 69deg head angle ?
    Not sure what your budget is but this ticks the boxes you've mentioned.

http://www.pivotcycles.com/bike/mach-429-trail/

I recently picked one up and love the thing. It's super fun, doesn't feel like I'm driving a bus (my main criticism of earlier 29ers) and even though it's only 116mm on the back it does feel like it's more. Mine has 140mm on the front and it still pedals really well. I have even raced it in a couple of the more sedate enduro events like stromlo and it's excelled. Can't say enough good things about it. I put the first scratches on mine yesterday. Lame!!!!

EDIT: If you are in Sydney, and are in the 70-85kg range I'm happy to organise hook up for a ride and you can give it a pedal. It's size M.
    Last edited by EsPeGe; 13-06-2017 at 04:22 PM.

Just looking at swapping not buying. Just need to be educated when the offers come in as to what's good and what's not realy.

Depends what you currently have- to compare and to swap.
    There are many very capable 100 to 120 mm 29ers around. Everyone is going long, low and shorter stem/ wider bars.
    I have beefed up many short travel 29ers over the years. Wheels, dropper and cockpit are your first requirements. Do you use all your current 150mms if travel? You could always lighten up your current rig.
    Any of the latest offerings from
    Trek
    Yeti
    SCruz
    Evil
    Specialized
    Kona
    Will do the trick. What size bike do you ride- test ride a few.

Banshee phantom. You're welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTmofo View Post
    Think I'll just buy an Orange!

Magic fairy is unlikely to come up with someone who has the bike you want and swap his good condition 29er for yours. There would be very few BAD modern bikes. Post up the trade in for sale section and add open to offers for straight out sale. Then wait to pounce on a 2nd hand 29er when one comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by wavike View Post
    Magic fairy is unlikely to come up with someone who has the bike you want and swap his good condition 29er for yours. There would be very few BAD modern bikes. Post up the trade in for sale section and add open to offers for straight out sale. Then wait to pounce on a 2nd hand 29er when one comes up.
    I didn't read it as swapping with a punter, so much as swapping over to a different bike... I could be wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTmofo View Post
    Think I'll just buy an Orange!

Quite a few of the modern 29ers run dual position rear shocks, e.g. my Intense Primer has 115mm and 130mm options. Something like this, stick a 120mm fork on it and away you go, with a longer fork up your sleeve for when you feel the need for more knar.

Process 111 would be a decent option.

I'm riding a Hei Hei DL that's beefed up a little, but it's probably more XC/Trail style.
    Ripping bike, but they aren't coming to Aus for a little bit yet

What size is the Sight and where are you located?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast