Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stromlo Upgrade approved

Default Stromlo Upgrade approved

Couldn't find a dedicated Stromlo thread, link me if I missed it.

Westside set for new Stromlo Forest home

Released 08/06/2017
    http://www.cmd.act.gov.au/open_gover...lo-forest-home

Stromlo Forest Park will get even better facilities with the main Westside structure set to move to the popular area.

Westside was designed to be able to be relocated to areas across the city where there is a temporary gap in space for retail and hospitality trade such as Stromlo Forest Park which attracts thousands of visitors every week.

The structure will provide additional visitor facilities for the wide range of park users. This may include a café as well as opportunities for bike hire and servicing.The Government will advertise for expressions of interest in operating business at the site.

The Stromlo Forest Park masterplan includes retail facilities in the precinct, as well as playing fields and a gondola operating from the car park to the peak of Mount Stromlo. The Government will be providing these investments over the coming years, with the Westside structure providing temporary facilities until these investments are made.

The relocated structure will be established at ground level, rather than elevated as at West Basin and will be reconfigured and improved to better suit its new location.

Two of the containers in the tower structure are privately owned and will be returned to their owners during the deconstruction and removal process.Two other containers, owned by the Territory, will be used to provide suitable spaces for a future café, bike repair facilities and storage.

Government-owned containers not needed at the Stromlo site have already been requested for use by other parts of government for storage.

The new facility at Stromlo Forest Park is expected to be ready for use later this year.

- Statement ends -

I would prefer to see more trails or something different than a gondola. Not sure that hill is high enough to warrant such a thing - interested to see what it will cost to ride it.
    Respect the Mountain. Ride the Bull. Feel the Flow.

Successful trades: Nick Z, Rhyno, Naz, RCOH, Parallax, Carlin, Stylinruss, Cave Dweller, Inverted, Teamshore03, Stooge, I-AM-TEH-FASTEST-11, Benana, -Davo, Grover, Drop in Drew, cleeshoy, Bevsta, Daver, hifiandmtb, yogibear, scblack, NoSkidMarks/Crankin, oliosky, dolphinman, binner, iUDEX_nCr, Psimpson7, nickg78, DillonRib, Squims.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post

I would prefer to see more trails or something different than a gondola. Not sure that hill is high enough to warrant such a thing - interested to see what it will cost to ride it.
    I saw some work men prepping the container site yesterday. Interesting idea to build a bit more infrastructure there; not sure that I would use it, but then I'm a ten minute ride away. Out of town visitors would benefit, as a visitor you could fit a lot more riding into a day if there was food etc..

Don't think I would use the gondola, but people hitting the DH and Vapour trails would probably appreciate it.

I'd love to see more single track over the back.

If they developed the western slopes to the same degree as the front you could put together some really long rides. One of the great things about Kowen and Sparrow is that feeling of being out in the forest miles from anywhere.

I'm assuming more mtb trail would be a hard sell to the government as it's pretty damn good already.

I would prefer to see more trails or something different than a gondola.
    Especially given there is a road to the top. Those allergic to climbing can already organise their own shuttles if they really don't want to ride up.

I think the money would be better spent on some new trails down the western side to keep it fresh.

Still good to hear there is ongoing commitment from the ACT Gov to support mountain biking!
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

New ASR Carbon http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/show...-bike-post-33*

My Yeti ASR Carbon *STOLEN* http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/show...on-Bling-9-9kg
    My retired Yeti ARC http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/show...pdate-post-26*

Clinically Inane

As a gravity rider with no friends to shuttle with I'd still agree with you about the gondola. When did these things become the be all and end all of gravity? The location already has a sealed road to the summit. It's a long way around so sealing the locked dirt road and opening that up would be a better investment. Even allowing some competition in for shuttle services would be good. Then throw the cash at trails and trail maintenance. Places like this would benefit from having a small workforce permanently on site keeping things in shape andorganising working days with volunteers. Shit even a ski patrol style first aid service wouldn't hurt, there was a lot of families on site and that feeling of safety often encourages more users to turn up and have a go.

I do like the idea of food and coffee on site, even a bike shop. It is both a service for users and revenue generator for the land manager, which can in turn be rolled over to trail maintenance.

Australia is pretty slow at understanding the whole bike park concept, some places better/worse than others...like nsw. I like to imagine them in a similar way to a ski field and the services provided to enhance both the user experience and revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubbsy View Post
    I'd love to see more single track over the back.

If they developed the western slopes to the same degree as the front you could put together some really long rides. One of the great things about Kowen and Sparrow is that feeling of being out in the forest miles from anywhere.

From the master plan they're trying to get other things that would use the gondola before putting it in. One was tourism to the top of Stromlo, the Astrophys people and I saw the suggestion of gravity powered sleds/go kart things
    I'm assuming more mtb trail would be a hard sell to the government as it's pretty damn good already.
    MTB trails on the western side are listed in the master plan and would be started before any more sorting facilities due to their proposed location wiping out the bottom half of loop 1

Before they put the gondola in they stated they were looking for other use cases such as tourism to the top of Stromlo, the Astrophys school and some sort of gravity powered sleds/go kart things
    Last edited by Shinigami; 14-06-2017 at 12:42 PM.

Not happy, Jan.

Given we are losing trails in Canberra and the Arboretum doesn't look like being decent MTB trails, I'd rather they forgo the coffee shop and spend it on trails...

But getting the punters in is what its about I suppose so whatever....
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

I haven't seen the full master plan yet and am unsure about sleds and whatnot but I'm skeptical about the viability of shops there. Surely most weekdays the place will be a ghost town.
    Respect the Mountain. Ride the Bull. Feel the Flow.

Successful trades: Nick Z, Rhyno, Naz, RCOH, Parallax, Carlin, Stylinruss, Cave Dweller, Inverted, Teamshore03, Stooge, I-AM-TEH-FASTEST-11, Benana, -Davo, Grover, Drop in Drew, cleeshoy, Bevsta, Daver, hifiandmtb, yogibear, scblack, NoSkidMarks/Crankin, oliosky, dolphinman, binner, iUDEX_nCr, Psimpson7, nickg78, DillonRib, Squims.

A gondola will be a very attractive investment and it will double the amount of people riding the gravity stuff, no question. It will get tons more young dudes on bikes and into downhill and will make the area even more accessible.
    You have got it VERY good in Canberra. You have a huge amount of trails, you've got good money being invested into the sport with intention of growth and you have road without pot holes. As far as the riding goes, you are immensely spoilt for choice and from the outside looking in, you have no reason to be upset about the lack of riding.

I haven't seen the full master plan yet and am unsure about sleds and whatnot but I'm skeptical about the viability of shops there. Surely most weekdays the place will be a ghost town.
    I'd think you would be pretty spot on to say that. A mate took on a lease here in the Brisbane CBD on the river with a food/coffee van, tons of customers on the weekends like roadies, runners, walkers and the odd skater. During the week only a few workers from the local buildings, the lease was the killer in the end.
    "To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing." ~Aristotle.

The cafe up top manages to run all week so one down the bottom shouldn't be too bad.

I would have loved a local bike shop last fortnight when I managed to snap my chain half way through blue gums
    Last edited by Shinigami; 14-06-2017 at 01:25 PM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast