Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30

Thread: Feedback on evil the calling?

  1. #11
    Senior Member dunndog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    3,980

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MRO View Post
    A mate of mine just got decline on a warranty claim on his Wreckoning. Depsite the frame being imaculate with no other marks on it they claimed the cracked carbon was due to crash damage and refused to fix his new frame with only 300km on it. I would research the warranty and service offered by Evil to confirm it matches what you are looking for when you buy a top end frame.
    Where's the crack? Is he fighting that decision? He should dispute it if he legitimately didn't crash it..
    Sorry OP can't comment on the Calling, but can also recommend from experience checking out Evils customer service and warranty policy before you buy.. I know things have improved since my experience, but it was still enough to sway me away after almost pulling the trigger not long ago. Saying that, some have had great experiences.. just that others haven't.
    I won't beat you to the punch, i'll punch you to the beat - Hilltop Hoods

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Perth Hills
    Posts
    125

    Default




    Some pics of the cracked rear triangle that was refused warranty due to claimed 'crash damage'.

  3. #13
    Senior Member hifiandmtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    RNP, Sydney
    Posts
    3,228

    Default

    Looks like impact damage to me, not necessarily from a crash...but an impact from something?

    I similarly damaged the rear triangle on my Tallboy carbon when a stick flung up & hit it hard.

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    533

    Default

    That's a difficult one. On one side I can see (albeit in the photo alone) that the bike looks well preserved + maintained. The site of the crack looks just like some of my carbon frame cracks which have all been warrantied.

    From an impact wouldn't one expect to see marks and fracturing around the site?

    I'd hate to work in warranty and have to decide who's getting accepted or declined.

    Good luck with getting it resolved. What's the next step with them? Are they at least open to discussion or is it a great big get stuffed and we've got your money?

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,588

    Default

    Anyone can keep a frame clean and shiny. Doesn't mean it hasn't had the shit ridden out of it. Having owned an Evil they are an endless pit of maintenance, specifically the bearings in the links. Based purely on the amount of play the rear end used to get and the endless beating swaps I was doing I would never buy another or recommend them to anyone.

    I did buy a new front triangle off them once to go up a size and it was pretty cheap and a fairly easy experience. That crack lools like an impact to me, but I'm no expert on the subject.

  6. #16
    Senior Member Mywifesirrational's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,383

    Default

    Many break at that point, some long threads about this on MTBR and Singletracks.

    At least overseas the warranty denied decisions are being made without a frame inspection, only from photos. Dodgy as.

    The carbon in that spot is very thin, a frame in the UK was deigned warranty and an independent mob said it was from the wheel twisting the stays... because they are not robust enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by jarrod839 View Post
    All three were not wearing neckbraces and its all most impossible to determine if paul and sams outcomes would of being different if they were wearing one.
    Agree completely, there is no evidence!

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Brisvegas
    Posts
    1,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mywifesirrational View Post
    Many break at that point, some long threads about this on MTBR and Singletracks.

    At least overseas the warranty denied decisions are being made without a frame inspection, only from photos. Dodgy as.

    The carbon in that spot is very thin, a frame in the UK was deigned warranty and an independent mob said it was from the wheel twisting the stays... because they are not robust enough.
    Interesting you say that, as it appears there is tyre rub on the inside of the swingarm
    Focus Spine Factory C- X01- Pikes - Zelvy>King
    Soma 650B-Side - X9 1x10 -Revelation RL - DT1700 - WeeRide
    Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0- Ultegra 6870 + R785's - Giant Carbon - Giant P-SL0

  8. #18
    Senior Member Mywifesirrational's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 99_FGT View Post
    Interesting you say that, as it appears there is tyre rub on the inside of the swingarm
    Have a google of evil bikes failures mtbr - long thread on it, I'm taking what I have read at face value.

    If the tyres aren't a real tight fit... Occams razor, the simplest explanation is typically the correct one, or something like that.

    The wheel and through axle acts as a lever, the stays flex outwards and it cracks on the outside, people have reported being able to flex the stays enough by squeezing with fingers enough to hear fibres cracking. Sounds like a QA issue, regardless, getting warranty seems a very mixed bag - and they are basing decision off only photos (?), enough to scare me off buying one.
    Quote Originally Posted by jarrod839 View Post
    All three were not wearing neckbraces and its all most impossible to determine if paul and sams outcomes would of being different if they were wearing one.
    Agree completely, there is no evidence!

  9. #19
    Senior Member teK--'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,754

    Default

    I read in a mag interview with Evil that they don't test frames to destruction as part of R&D... They just get their customers to do the R&D I suppose.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ringwood Vic
    Posts
    1,954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_hANky View Post
    Anyone can keep a frame clean and shiny. Doesn't mean it hasn't had the shit ridden out of it. Having owned an Evil they are an endless pit of maintenance, specifically the bearings in the links. Based purely on the amount of play the rear end used to get and the endless beating swaps I was doing I would never buy another or recommend them to anyone.

    I did buy a new front triangle off them once to go up a size and it was pretty cheap and a fairly easy experience. That crack lools like an impact to me, but I'm no expert on the subject.
    Did you one of the previous models from the bad days? Uprising/Undead did have undersized bearings that didn't last long. I changed my bearings after a year and they were still okay. Just did them for peace of mind.

    I've had my Insurgent for 18months. Destroyed the first frame in 6 months but riding it into a tree (I recommend bike insurance) My experience has been great. But as with every brand there are the bad stories that stand more than the good ones. Hopefully there's a reasonable outcome.
    Evil Bikes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •