Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New bike options

Default New bike options

Hey,

I just would like to receive some advice about the below bikes if anyone has had experiences with them and what are the thoughts?
    As there are so many bikes on the market, it is getting harder and harder to choose for the elusive 'Enduro' category. I have my eye on a few bikes at a similar price point, mostly 27.5 and there is one 29er that peaks my interest. If anyone owns one or ridden one it would be great to hear what your experiences were.
    The trails I ride are a mix of rocky all mountain trails in Sydney but a mix of drops, climbs, technical and descents. I am also after a bike that will be playful but also burly enough to handle rocks and technical sections.
    I currently own a Giant Reign 1 2013 which is the bike I am looking to replace.

My current options are
    2017 YT Capra CF comp - if I can get one :)
    2017 Trek Remedy 9 RSL
    2017 Commencal Meta V4.2 (Race version)
    Possibly a 2017 Giant Reign Advanced 0 as its starting to be discounted.
    2017 Trek Slash 29 9.8

Thanks in advance.

stink noodle

I don't own any of them myself, but a friend has the Commencal. It is a good looking bike with a great spec. Some of the things that stood out to me about the bike include:
    - lyric forks for the win.
    - Geometry seems very nice - long and low, it feels aimed at going down.
    - it feels very light for so much bike.

I've ridden around Sydney a bit and think it would suit the trails I've ridden there nicely.

Another friend has an older Copra. It is a very nice bike too. The Reign is very hard to beat on spec bang for bucks, but you may die of boredom. I've no close contact with the Trek bikes, but I have watched a very large rider send an older model remedy over a reasonably big jump repeatedly and been impressed the bike didn't elect to retire itself. Perhaps testament to their strength.

You will struggle to find flaws with any of those bikes for any reason other than component specs.. It might be hard with a couple of them, obviously, but try to ride as many of them as you can! If you're anywhere near me and a rocky slayer takes your fancy you're welcome to give it a braap

Thanks guys, some great advice!!! Rocky slayer haven't really considered them yet, they look cool though!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ky1e View Post
    You will struggle to find flaws with any of those bikes for any reason other than component specs.. It might be hard with a couple of them, obviously, but try to ride as many of them as you can! If you're anywhere near me and a rocky slayer takes your fancy you're welcome to give it a braap
    Was about to LOL you and your 2014 sensibilities....then realised it's back! Does look nice, I have to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTmofo View Post
    Think I'll just buy an Orange!

Yeah, SLAYER or Meta!

Others that come to mind..

Zerode Taniwha?
    Banshee Spitfire or Rune?
    Evil Insurgent?
    Transition Patrol?
    Merida eOne-Sixty 900E? ;)

Is it still viable buying a giant and a different frame then transfering parts? That used to be a good way of grtting an exciting ride cheaper than building one up.

+1 transition patrol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckles View Post
    I rode Newtown, before it was cool.

Thanks everyone, Really leaning towards the meta. Seems to be even better value than Giants. The only thing is I keep reading about feet hitting the chainstays.
    I have seen the Transition patrol and it's looks like an absolute beast however getting a decent build within my price range of $6-$7k might be a challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ideate View Post
    Zerode Taniwha?
    If you know how to get a complete for the price of any of those others, I'd honestly love to know. A Taniwha is at the top of my wanted list at the moment but 0 way I could justify paying $7k for just frame/shock/drivetrain.
    Formerly Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Shredden View Post
    I sucked 250ml of dusty/dirty old yogurt out of my iPhone and Laptop today and it hasnt benefited my brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Staunch View Post
    If you know how to get a complete for the price of any of those others, I'd honestly love to know. A Taniwha is at the top of my wanted list at the moment but 0 way I could justify paying $7k for just frame/shock/drivetrain.
    I thought we were just listing bikes. Old mate didn't list his price originally ;)

But yes, a very expensive frame. For the same price you can buy one of those Merida eOne-Sixty 900E's which is decked out! Sell the parts, keep the frame and you'd make your money back!

Hopefully the Taniwha's come down in price but unlikely due to the gearbox component which makes it expensive in the first place. It'd be cool if there were different gearbox makers and options to make it cheaper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast