Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your one technique tip for a newbie to MTB?

Caviar tastes on a popcorn budget TonyMax's Avatar

Default What's your one technique tip for a newbie to MTB?

I've recently bought my first MTB (29er hardtail) after a few years of recent road cycling and many years of riding kids bikes long ago during a misspent youth when our house backed onto "the bush".

I think what I'm currently doing could loosely be termed Cross Country? As part of my triathlon training program I'm now riding loops of single track which have just as much down as up. I'm considering entering an off road duathlon (run/ride/run) which will be mostly on fire trails and dual track, but I'm training in single track for a few reasons, fun being one of them.

I'm almost 48 now so I don't have as much fearlessness as I did when I was a teenager, but I am finding a sense of achievement if I can negotiate some of the simple obstacles on the trails (at Mt. Gladstone in Cooma) better/faster/smoother.

What's the one tip you would give a newbie to help them become a better/faster MTB rider?
    Last edited by TonyMax; 23-06-2017 at 12:09 PM.

Learn to (flat) corner:

Get behind the seat, point hips in the direction you want to go, drop outside heal and push forward on the pedal to keep some weight on the front wheel. Lean the bike, not the body, let the side lugs of your tyre do their job. Allow your inside arm to straighten out and your outside elbow to bend a fair bit. Start wide, look around the corner, get off the brakes and pedal out - pull a mono for style points.
    Respect the Mountain. Ride the Bull. Feel the Flow.

Successful trades: Nick Z, Rhyno, Naz, RCOH, Parallax, Carlin, Stylinruss, Cave Dweller, Inverted, Teamshore03, Stooge, I-AM-TEH-FASTEST-11, Benana, -Davo, Grover, Drop in Drew, cleeshoy, Bevsta, Daver, hifiandmtb, yogibear, scblack, NoSkidMarks/Crankin. oliosky, dolphinman, binner, iUDEX_nCr, Psimpson7. nickg78

Ride with flat pedals.

Quote Originally Posted by stoo View Post
    Ride with flat pedals.
    Beat me to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTmofo View Post
    Think I'll just buy an Orange!

Clinically Inane

Death grip. Conquer your fears.

Caviar tastes on a popcorn budget TonyMax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stoo View Post
    Ride with flat pedals.
    Quote Originally Posted by moorey View Post
    Beat me to it.
    I've already got SPD stuff from my commuter bike, what's the benefit in flats, just so I have less chance of eating it if I run out of talent?

Default Know what is coming so you can be ready for it

Look up / ahead. Don't let your focus drop to just in front of the front wheel - even in tech sections

Ride to enjoy it, even if it's a training ride, still make it fun.

Don't get smothered and caught up in the virtual racing that goes on with Strava and the like. It is good to map your ride and know what and where you're riding but damn, people get so caught up in that stuff that it actually spoils the ride. I've ridden with groups who are so obsessed with it that they totally wreck it for everyone else.

Times are changing and there's some discussion about the size of your wheels. Don't buy into it, ride what you can afford and what you reckon looks good. They all do the same thing. ;)

Respect the trails you're riding and respect the effort the dedicated trail builders put in. Offer to help out if you feel the need but never change a trail to suit your ability, always leave that to the experts.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyMax View Post
    I've already got SPD stuff from my commuter bike, what's the benefit in flats, just so I have less chance of eating it if I run out of talent?
    You'll learn better all round techniques...and hopefully avoid eating it. I only ever ride flats, and aren't saying clipless don't have their place...but I can usually tell riders on the trial who have only ever ridden clickless.... your average hacks at least ....
    Quote Originally Posted by JTmofo View Post
    Think I'll just buy an Orange!

Flats nah no big deal.
    Main tip for 48 yo is dont sit down too much ie stand up in corners , rough stuff and let the bike move under you.
    scarey but cool

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast