Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suspension setup for lightweight rider

Default Suspension setup for lightweight rider

Trying to improve the suspension setup on GF's bike.
    2015 Giant Trance
    Forks are Rockshox Revelation Solo Air Dual postion 140/120mm
    Shock is Rockshox Monarch RT3 200x51

Currently have the dilemma of either correct sag but not getting full travel, or too much sag to get full travel.
    Being 55kg approx. she is well below the lowest suggested setup pressures (lowest category is <63kg).
    As an example, forks currently have approx 50psi in them with the lowest guide being <110psi.

What are my options to get a setup that will work as intended; i.e. Correct sag, full travel, feels decent?
    Custom tune?
    New/Other suspension?
    just deal with it?

Since HSC is fixed without a custom tune maybe try a lighter oil in the damper?

A debonair can may fix the rear shock?
    For the front - maybe there are tokens in there to remove - would a 2015 dual position come with tokens?

Can confirm a Debonair can makes for a better ride for light folks as I fitted one to my partners Monarch. Most guys end up putting bands in them to ramp them up, this one has none fitted and works well.
    The bike has a light tune Pike with no tokens on the front which rarely looks like using most of the travel.

For light riders, even 20kg kids, fox shocks, and RS forks, ideally dual air.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTmofo View Post
    Think I'll just buy an Orange!

Quote Originally Posted by c3024446 View Post
    A debonair can may fix the rear shock?
    Quote Originally Posted by mark22 View Post
    Can confirm a Debonair can makes for a better ride for light folks as I fitted one to my partners Monarch. Most guys end up putting bands in them to ramp them up, this one has none fitted and works well.
    The bike has a light tune Pike with no tokens on the front which rarely looks like using most of the travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by moorey View Post
    For light riders, even 20kg kids, fox shocks, and RS forks, ideally dual air.
    Righto. thanks for the advice. I've ordered a debonair can for the monarch. If that doesn't solve it I might have to be selfless and swap in my Fox DPS Evol.

Quote Originally Posted by Quency View Post
    If that doesn't solve it I might have to be selfless and swap in my Fox DPS Evol.
    Bugger that ... just fill her pack up with rocks to get her into the ideal weight range of the forks/shocks !

Have the forks been serviced recently ?

Quote Originally Posted by creaky View Post
    Bugger that ... just fill her pack up with rocks to get her into the ideal weight range of the forks/shocks !

Have the forks been serviced recently ?
    At last, a thinking man's approach.

Forks could probably do with a service. Pretty sure she just ordered a Cycling Deal Pike with the 15% off code though. hopefully the lower operating pressures and no tokens will work ok. bike spending problems in our household.

Quote Originally Posted by Quency View Post
    At last, a thinking man's approach.

Forks could probably do with a service. Pretty sure she just ordered a Cycling Deal Pike with the 15% off code though. hopefully the lower operating pressures and no tokens will work ok. bike spending problems in our household.
    What I suggested will cost you only a bottle of oil and a couple of hours following the excellent tech manuals from RS.

Quote Originally Posted by teK-- View Post
    What I suggested will cost you only a bottle of oil and a couple of hours following the excellent tech manuals from RS.
    yep, very true. i haven't done a lot of tinkering with suspension but looking like now is my opportunity. Definitely plan on doing as you suggest.

'thinking' part was in response to the pack full of rocks to bring weight up. i got a laugh out of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast