Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 64

Thread: Replacing Gear Shifter

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    48

    Default Replacing Gear Shifter

    Hi all,

    The young fella come a cropper on his MTB, and looks like the rear gear shifter on the right may have got a little nudge. It would only ocassionally shift down into lower gear (higher rear cog), but shifting up gears was fine. Got to the stage where you could push the whole gear lever all the way to the front of the bike without engaging another gear, ie loose. I took the bottom off and gave it a clean and improved for a few minutes the gears would change up and down fine. I have freed the pawl up etc. I have compared to the other gear shifter and I think the problem is the nut at the bottom holding the gear levers in etc is not as tightened as the other, thus the gear lever can move around a little. I have tightened it the best I can but there is not much to grab on the nut.

    I was hoping to come from the top and see also if anything was loose etc. Anyone know how to actually get the top cover off which has the gear numbering on it? It is made hard by the bracket as I cannot get the bracket off as it is one of those tight one that jut clamps with a bolt.

    Would it be just easier to buy a new altus shifter and install that? How do you get the old one off with those tight brackets? Do you have to remove the grips and slide it off? The gear shifter is a Shimano Altus SL-M370.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member wkkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Clifton Springs, Vic.
    Posts
    1,814

    Default

    Sounds like a good chance to upgrade from the Altus.

    They are pretty low end and the time you've spent on it already probably far outweighs the cost of the actual shifter!

    Even something second hand (deore / slx) would be a good option.

  3. #3
    Clinically Inane
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    18,176

    Default

    Shimano zee time.

    Remove grip and slide the shifter off. Sounds like the thread may have stripped and it won't hold on again.

  4. #4
    Isn't flammable. moorey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Buninyong
    Posts
    26,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pink poodle View Post
    Shimano zee time.

    Remove grip and slide the shifter off. Sounds like the thread may have stripped and it won't hold on again.
    Good advice...except Altus is 9sp and zee is 10...
    Quote Originally Posted by JTmofo View Post
    Think I'll just buy an Orange!

  5. #5
    Senior Member Ezkaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, VIC
    Posts
    2,615

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moorey View Post
    Good advice...except Altus is 9sp and zee is 10...
    Would the shift range be limited by the derailleur's high or low screw to stop the shifter from being able to shift that one extra click?

    Or are they just flat-out incompatible?
    Last edited by Ezkaton; 30-06-2017 at 10:33 AM.
    If I rode a fixie and nobody saw it, was it still cool?

  6. #6
    Isn't flammable. moorey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Buninyong
    Posts
    26,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezkaton View Post
    Would the shift range be limited by the derailleur's high or low screw to stop the shifter from being able to shift that one extra click?

    Or are they just flat-out incompatible?
    I'm not 100% sure they aren't, but there will be piles of old 9sp Shimano shifters out there, so I'd just stick with that. Pretty sure I've given away all mine, but can check tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTmofo View Post
    Think I'll just buy an Orange!

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wkkie View Post
    Sounds like a good chance to upgrade from the Altus.

    They are pretty low end and the time you've spent on it already probably far outweighs the cost of the actual shifter!

    Even something second hand (deore / slx) would be a good option.
    Yep, agreed, already spend a couple hours on it. If I upgraded the shifter, do I have to upgrade the shifter for the front derailleur also? The rear derailleur is deore.

    Cheers

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pink poodle View Post
    Shimano zee time.

    Remove grip and slide the shifter off. Sounds like the thread may have stripped and it won't hold on again.
    Yeh I think the shifter is "no recessed" into the other shifter if that makes any sense? They are not flat against each other and a little loose (can wobble it a little side to side and up and down), but if I slide the shifter whilst holding it up, it shifts OK. I works OK when I turn it upside and look at the pawl and internals I guess because the shifter is not hanging down.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moorey View Post
    I'm not 100% sure they aren't, but there will be piles of old 9sp Shimano shifters out there, so I'd just stick with that. Pretty sure I've given away all mine, but can check tonight.
    Thanks mate. I see you are from Buninyong, must be cold there today!

  10. #10
    Senior Member wkkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Clifton Springs, Vic.
    Posts
    1,814

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daazzaa View Post
    Yep, agreed, already spend a couple hours on it. If I upgraded the shifter, do I have to upgrade the shifter for the front derailleur also? The rear derailleur is deore.

    Cheers
    If the front shifter is still working then you can leave it. Some here though might say that removing the front shifter would be the upgrade!

    But just changing the rear shifter is all you need.
    Last edited by wkkie; 30-06-2017 at 01:30 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •