Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 29er wheels - rim width

Default 29er wheels - rim width

Hi all looking for some advice regarding rim width for a new set of 29er wheels. I want to upgrade from a set of dt swiss spline m1900 mainly because they weight 2kg and are on the narrow side with ID 22.5 and the rear hub doesn't have the good dt swiss rachet inards.
    Number one reason for the upgrade is to drop weight. Rest of the bike (intense spider29) is very light so I want wheels to match. I have already decided on carbon, most likely either nextie, light bicycle or zelvy depending on funds. I ride all the stuff everyone else does around Melbourne so it's mostly angry xc with the occasional black diamond sort of level stuff like the youies, parts of plenty gorge etc. Basic trail riding really.
    So my dilemma is this, go for a wide carbon rim ~ ID 30mm and lose very little weight but theoretically more grip ? (with hopes/dt swiss hubs) or go a narrow more xc wheel ~ ID25mm and drop 1/2 a kg..
    I don't know if I am really sold on the whole super wide rim hype.. i run a 2.35 Hans D and 2.25 NN and wouldn't really go much bigger on the tyres, so I question the real world benefits of 30mm ID on these size tyres. A mate has a set of 30mm ID and doesn't really notice any huge benefit other than they look cool.. (which they do)
    So I am wanting opinion, lighter narrow rim vs a wider heavier rim for general trail duties.. I peddle everywhere and don't shuttle (unless on holiday) so big draggy wheels are of no interest..
    I notice Enve and Mavic aren't falling over themselves to jump on the latest trend. And the ex maxxis tyre designer over on mtbr reckons benefits are minimal over 25-27mm ID (so does Enve).. Then the rest of mtb press are falling over themselves for bigger and bigger rims even though there is proof the current 2-2.35 tyres corner shit on >30mm wheels due to the tyre squaring off.
    I'm confused.. I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere here but I can't find it.
    I'm thinking ID 25-27mm is the sweet spot for my riding?
    Thanks..
    Last edited by Kerplunk; 04-07-2017 at 08:45 PM.

Split the difference:
    http://www.premiummtb.com.au/product/premium-32mm/
    With hopes you'll still be about the 1750g mark

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
    Focus Spine Factory C- X01- Pikes
    Soma 650B-Side - X9 1x10 -Revelation RL
    Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0- Ultegra 6870 + R785's

There's a certain amount of appeal with wider rims and bigger tyres but all I see with this is weight.
    Carbon will hopefully make the ride quieter (it did for me) and they spin up well so I'd sacrifice some weight for it.

If you go too wide you end up with scratched and damaged rims as the tyres can only protect so much.

28mm - 30mm internal is as wide as I'd go, and running 2.4 they'd feel super comfortable. Don't expect it to be quicker uphill but you'll be having so much fun everywhere else you possibly won't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend View Post
    If you go too wide you end up with scratched and damaged rims as the tyres can only protect so much.

28mm - 30mm internal is as wide as I'd go, and running 2.4 they'd feel super comfortable. Don't expect it to be quicker uphill but you'll be having so much fun everywhere else you possibly won't mind.
    Running 2.2 on a 30mm internal I can say the man speaketh the truth
    Focus Spine Factory C- X01- Pikes
    Soma 650B-Side - X9 1x10 -Revelation RL
    Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0- Ultegra 6870 + R785's

There's a certain amount of appeal with wider rims and bigger tyres but all I see with this is weight.
    Carbon will hopefully make the ride quieter (it did for me) and they spin up well so I'd sacrifice some weight for it.

Thanks mate, when you say fun everywhere else as in more grip lower pressure?

I'm running 35mm ID up front and 30mm ID on the back after following Greg (I think that's his name) from Zelvy's advice on my 27.5 gravity bike. I also have a 29er that I'm going to go wider rims with most likley 30mm ID on both. I can say for sure that I noticed heaps more grip coming off 22.5mm ID Mavic Crossmax Enduro's. I was running tyre pressures around 28-30PSI and dropped to what seems to be the sweet spot for grip and rolling resistance for me of about 24PSI. I know people run much lower pressures but to me that's applying the law of diminishing returns. I've had them for a year now and have absolutely caned them and they still look pretty much new.

I run a 2.4 up front and a 2.3 on the back and I agree with this. It feels awesome, grips like crazy and gives you (well me at least) confidence to burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerplunk View Post
    Thanks mate, when you say fun everywhere else as in more grip lower pressure?
    That's exactly it. It's like going tubeless first time around. I've ridden a plus bike on demo and once the pressures were right it was awesome. Granted, I wouldn't buy one but running meatier 2.4" / 2.5" on ~28mm to 30mm ID wheels would give I think a great balance of grip, traction and comfort.

Just imagine the cornering...

Everything is a balance though as you can expect. If you go too far it leads to problems in certain conditions. Especially in some wetter / muddier places. Pick the set up for your most frequently ridden trails.

I've got 35mm ID RF arcs on my wrecker and with a Maxxis Wt tire they're great, I've ran sub 25 Psi ( im 90 + kg) and had no issues
    and the traction is ridiculous on some occasions, ( ive ridden the same tread on a different bike), I can't comment on comfort.
    The only downfall with them is my Minion SS is a little blocky so it has more rolling resistance.

Depending on the terrain your mainly riding, go a 35mm front and a 30~mm rear, would be a nice trade off between comfort/ grip and rolling resistance

if you're an experienced rider, dropping weight wins every-time especially on xc,

the gain from grip will never be as much as the gain from being faster up climbs and rolling terrain that's the killer when it comes to xc riding and time gains.

I ride mainly yarra trails, forrest, wombat, I use stan's rims, hope and racing ralph tubeless at 30 psi - 80kg rider, 29 ht. can rail corners pretty nicely and on climbs in han's loop 1640 gram wheelset pretty nice when punching up climbs.

alot of grip is about line choice and your technique.
    Last edited by mtb101; 07-07-2017 at 09:03 AM.
    pass the vides on and take it easy just flow baby just flow - definition of sound

Default 29er wheels - rim width

Thanks for the input guys.. I suppose i'm looking for the goldilocks of wheels fast and grippy.
    When thinking about, since switching to the wagon wheels and to the hans damph/NN combo, i can't say I am concerned about grip.. Got tonnes of it on the front with HD, I suppose if I can run a R Ralph or similar at lower pressure with wide rims the weight would be roughly the same.. But would roll better.. It's all a bit half a dozen one, six of another.
    I am leaning to 27mm ID carbon nextie atm.. http://www.nextie.net/mountain-asymmetric
    Last edited by Kerplunk; 07-07-2017 at 06:15 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast