Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: knees but no elbows

Default knees but no elbows

protection is what I'm talking about! Noticing that more than a few riders both locally and on the interwebs that riders are ring with knee pads but no elbow pads or vice versa. Mostly though it's knee pads only?

Anyone care to suggest why? If I think pads are necessary I wear both not just one. One of those thing's I've been wondering for a while.

Oh, and why do people wear goggles? Stones, sunnier fall off, because everyone else does?
    Successful trades: F1234K

Quote Originally Posted by swaz View Post

Oh, and why do people wear goggles? Stones, sunnier fall off, because everyone else does?
    Why do people do anything m8. That's the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Ideate View Post
    Why do people do anything m8. That's the question.
    This is true. Thought I might be missing something.

Goggles/eye protection is a no brainer...

I'll wear knees if doing any serious gravity, sometimes elbows if taking big risks.. xc riding, neither.

That said, this was today's effort at the skate park, bunny hop gone wrong! Wish I had padded up, but still would have the fractured ribs!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by spikenet View Post
    Goggles/eye protection is a no brainer...

I'll wear knees if doing any serious gravity, sometimes elbows if taking big risks.. xc riding, neither.

That said, this was today's effort at the skate park, bunny hop gone wrong! Wish I had padded up, but still would have the fractured ribs!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Ouch!

I get what eye protection does, but goggles v sunnies. Why goggles?

I use knee pads pretty regularly these days , the elbow pads come on for the technical downhill riding. The problem with padding up here in the Qld summer is that it's dam hot and even in the early mornings. When you have a large scrape the worst thing is the down time from not getting out on the trails. I also run more heavy duty knee pads for the really rocky gnarly trails.

You're always going to run the risk of self harm even with all the gear. Beginning of this year I had a smallish log flick up from the front wheel and spear into my ankle. Some days I question myself question why I mountain bike.

leg.jpg
    "To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing." ~Aristotle.

Ouch!

I get what eye protection does, but goggles v sunnies. Why goggles?
    Better eye protection....and #soenduro. I still choose to wear sunnies most of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTmofo View Post
    Think I'll just buy an Orange!

Quote Originally Posted by Flow-Rider View Post
    I use knee pads pretty regularly these days , the elbow pads come on for the technical downhill riding. The problem with padding up here in the Qld summer is that it's dam hot and even in the early mornings. When you have a large scrape the worst thing is the down time from not getting out on the trails. I also run more heavy duty knee pads for the really rocky gnarly trails.

You're always going to run the risk of self harm even with all the gear. Beginning of this year I had a smallish log flick up from the front wheel and spear into my ankle. Some days I question myself question why I mountain bike.

leg.jpg
    So why do you use knee pads and not elbow ones? Heat or is there less risk of injury to an elbow than a knee?

Watching practice of the WC is Lenzerheide and most seem to be not wearing elbow pads but it's rocky AF.

And I always wear knees, rarely elbows....because I'm an idiot...
    IMG_7280.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by JTmofo View Post
    Think I'll just buy an Orange!

So why do you use knee pads and not elbow ones? Heat or is there less risk of injury to an elbow than a knee?

Watching practice of the WC is Lenzerheide and most seem to be not wearing elbow pads but it's rocky AF.
    Yes to be a bit cooler is one. Most falls I've had I put my knees down first and it takes most of the impact, not always the case though. If I hurt my knees, walking and rider is a lot harder and I can sort of put up with the elbows most of the time.

I have no idea why WC riders don't, I even see some of the local pro riders without elbow pads also.
    Last edited by Flow-Rider; 08-07-2017 at 05:03 PM.
    "To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing." ~Aristotle.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast