Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stuff I Need vs. Stuff I Want!

Caviar tastes on a popcorn budget TonyMax's Avatar

Default Stuff I Need vs. Stuff I Want!

Everyone knows that upgradeitis is a terrible affliction, as is the desire to have *all* the things.

So I'm trying to prioritise MTB stuff to buy because I have caviar tastes on a popcorn budget.

I probably don't really *need* anything else at the moment as I'm quite successfully heading out for 2.5 hour trail rides in the local MTB park.

I've got a 29er hardtail. I have a bottle cage on the bike for my drink, bib knicks with a nice pad to sit comfortably on, cycling jerseys with back pockets for my phone and muesli bars, full fingered gloves, a little saddle bag that holds a spare tube, CO2 inflator, quick link and multitool, a pump mounted under the bottle cage for Justin Case, a decent helmet and some decent sunnies. I've got SPD pedals and shoes. I'm going to wrap my drive side chain stay in an old inner tube this weekend. I've got some basic lights should I ever feel the need to ride in the dark.

Things I want are many and varied, and the list gets longer every time I visit Wiggle or CRC, but I would like a new Camelbak with decent pockets to store stuff, a better pair of shoes, a bike stand, a bike tool kit.

Help me spend money I don't have yet by offering suggestions of things I need or things I should want.

Going tubeless, changing saddles to fit your body shape, adjusting your stem length and height, what else do you want to do?

Clinically Inane

Have you considered adding some drilling? It will reduce weight an increase aerodynamics.

Caviar tastes on a popcorn budget TonyMax's Avatar

I haven't got around to speed holes yet, the bike is still under warranty.

But I guess I'm not adding anything (which might not be covered by the warranty) am I? I'm just removing bits, thereby minimising the amount of bike left to suffer failures, right?

Di2 of course...
    All the gear and no idea.

Clinically Inane

Quote Originally Posted by TonyMax View Post
    I haven't got around to speed holes yet, the bike is still under warranty.

But I guess I'm not adding anything (which might not be covered by the warranty) am I? I'm just removing bits, thereby minimising the amount of bike left to suffer failures, right?
    Exactly. You're improving the bike beyond the manufacturer's ability.

How to waste money?? Keep browsing CRC and you'll soon figure out how to do it like a pro and optimise ~$100 packages. Maybe a range of tyres for different conditions but strangely all very similar, or a bunch of handlebars that never quite hit the mark, what about an ambitious chainring, or 3 different sized stems, perhaps a few sets of grips that all suck, and maybe a random hub on special and a few speciality tools youll rarely use.
    Be careful with that, it was new once.

Quote Originally Posted by schred View Post
    Maybe a range of tyres for different conditions but strangely all very similar, or a bunch of handlebars that never quite hit the mark, what about an ambitious chainring, or 3 different sized stems, perhaps a few sets of grips that all suck, and maybe a random hub on special and a few speciality tools youll rarely use.
    Bwahahaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We've all been there...

Quote Originally Posted by schred View Post
    what about an ambitious chainring
    This one is my favourite...38T minimum for me please.

Quote Originally Posted by hifiandmtb View Post
    Bwahahaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We've all been there...
    new10 is our best friend

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast