Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums

Thread: Fork oil in rebound adjuster

Default Fork oil in rebound adjuster

I serviced my pike a few weeks back and I seem to be getting a fair bit of oil leaking out into the rebound adjuster.
    Took the adjuster dial off and removed the lower leg nut. The crush washer could probably do with replacing if I can get my hands on one and there was a little bit of oil there but doesn't look like it's making it's way out of the seal. Where it looked like it was coming out of was through the small hex that turns the rebound dial.

Is this normal after a service? I haven't noticed it before but looks like there's nothing to stop oil coming out this way if some collected there during filling.

There shouldn't be oil coming out from the shaft the knob plugs into. There is normally a small amount of oil in the lower leg, which should only come out when the shaft is disengaged from the lower seal/crush washer - usually needs quite a firm tap with the bolt partially screwed in to disengage it.

It would appear that the rebound damper assembly needs some new internal seals.
    Just ride the bloody thing and enjoy yourself!

I build wheels... :wink:

More likely you've probably just poured your lowers oil into the rebound shaft, hence why you should do it on an angle / horizontal.

I'm hoping it is the second option!

I'll keep an eye on it and see if it carries on. Fork is probably due a damper service but was hoping to put it off for 6 months or so