Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 47

Thread: 🅴 - Banshee ▄█▀ █▀ █ ▀█▀ e - Bafang BBSHD

  1. #1
    Senior Member Ideate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,117

    Default 🅴 - Banshee ▄█▀ █▀ █ ▀█▀ e - Bafang BBSHD

    What: Banshee Spitfire + Bafang BBSHD ebike. Yes you read right. Is this the first ebike PYR???? Technically it's my same Banshee Spitfire but I think it deserves it's own place because it's a different monster now.

    When: a while ago but I knew it wouldn't get much love around here so I've been waiting a while for Moorebagz to settle down from his uneducated old man disgust.

    Price: $2k to convert.

    Location: This isn't a sale thread.

    Why: to annoy Moorebagz and because ᶠᶸᶜᵏ♥ᵧₒᵤ ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡) that's why


    Firstly, lets get something straight. A lot of people don't like the idea of ebikes.. and I get it. The thing I don't get is the lack of perspective. Anyone ever heard of De Bono's 6 thinking hats? Ebikes will soon become the norm. You wait!

    If you've been following.. I've been hinting here and there about a secret project involving my Banshee Spitfire. When Dazzlers sold his (newer, blacker!) Spitfire frame for CHEAP I thought it wasn't going to be worth me selling mine. Plus I've hacked at this frame already so I thought I'd donate it to the Spit-e project.


    I'll start with the first dodgey item on the agenda... the shock. If you're unaware, that's my 8.75x2.75 RC4. I wasn't going to leave my CCDB Coil CS on there so I sold that and put the RC4 on while I wait for special mounting hardware for the shit air-can I have lying around. It's actually pretty nice.

    It wasn't that hard to fit in there.. I used some physics (string) to compress the spring.


    spitfire_frame_ready_for_tip.jpg

    fitting_rc4.jpg

    NEXT...

    The conversion kit. I was actually looking into something more hacky like a DeWalt strapped to the rear stay (no joke). After some research, I went all out and bought a Bafang BBSHD conversion kit including a 52v 15Ah 30q backpack battery. All up it cost $1,954.50 but I could have saved $100 (I'll explain later).

    I chose the Bafang BBSHD mid drive kit because I didn't want a heavy backend (with a hub motor). It was also readily available and other alternative mid drives were too expensive such as the Tangent 3kW etc.. The Spitty was also going to be a good donar because of the straight down tube from the bottom bracket. This would maximise the clearance of the motor.

    straight-downtube-to-bb.jpg


    To fit the motor I would have to hack at the frame a little bit. It's nothing new though as I shortened the seat tube a long time ago ;) .. I'll see if I can find pictures and insert them here later. So the angle grinder came out and part of the bb tab came off. Then the bottom cable guide tab came off.

    1 bb-tab.jpg

    2 no-bb-tab.jpg

    3 cable-tab.jpg

    4 no-cable-tab.jpg

    I could then slide in the Bafang BBSHD snug against the downtube to maxmise clearance. I've hit it once so far but otherwise it's been fine. Views from a few angles.. From the top it does feel a little wider than usual but not noticable after a bit on the bike.

    5 BBSHD_on.jpg

    6 BBSHD_on-drive-side.jpg

    7 BBSHD_cranks-on.jpg

    8 BBSHD_width.jpg

    The Bafang BBSHD kit comes with this steel behemoth 46t chain ring. It's the biggest heap of shit so I got a special Lekkie narrow wide ring which is also 36t making it easier on the motor for climbing. I also ordered these Lekkie buzz bar crank arms because I thought they'd be better than the stock.. but I was wrong. This is where I could have saved some money as they were $100 extra. Because the bottom bracket spindal is square tappered, cranks are limited and generally shit. These Lekkie buzz bars deformed and became permantly wobbly/loose. I don't think they imagined 100kegs slamming them down rock gardens and jumps. They also started rubbing on the motor as I torqued them down so I had to grind spots of the arms off.. Anyway, they look good but they're rubbish for anything serious.

    9 BBSHD_Lekkie_Ring_Cranks.jpg

    Lekkie_buzz-bar-rub.jpg

    Lekkie_buz-bar_rubbish.jpg

    Here's an indication of the bottom bracket / motor clearnance. The way I set it up was also considered "stealth" according to the Bafang community. It comes with this clunky screen that's nearly as big as your phone. I didn't want to clutter the bars so I found out I can go away with all the noob (important) features such as screen, speed sensor, brake sensor and gear shifting sensor.

    It's basically bare bones motor and throttle. Yes throttle.. I hear you say " But that's a MOTORBIKE!".. well technically yes but I don't use it that way (Darrel does though lol!). I only plug in when I'm climbing and hold the throttle down according to my pedalling needs. So it's a pedal assist in my eyes but if someone wanted to NOT pedal.. you could.

    So.. there's a bit of cable excess because of all the other sensor plug-ins but I just tucked them under the shock mount and also under the bottom bracket.

    10 BBSHD_bb_clearance.jpg

    11 BBSHD_cables.jpg

    12 BBSHD_almost_finished.jpg

    13 BBSHD_chain-on.jpg


    There's the finished build. The setup is highly illegal as there's no speed limiter and the power peaks at about 1500 watts which is about 15 times what I probably put out and about 1300 watts over the legal limit.

    I haven't weighed it yet but the kit is approximately 5kg and the battery is about 3.5kg? So plus that to the Spitty which would have been about 13kg? In the realms of a regular ebike (20kg-ish+). I'll take some pics of the battery and backpack later (dinner is calling). It climbs like a goat and descents like a Zerode G1 with 140mm travel lol..

    spit-e.jpg

    spit-e_top_boulder.jpg


    Let the flaming begin.
    Last edited by Ideate; 17-07-2017 at 10:04 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    387

    Default

    haha, that's rad. I tried an ebike the other day at the Youies and it was so much fun... I'd love to ride this up Mystic and down Hero:)
    I like turtles!

  3. #3
    Senior Member Logic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    146

    Thumbs up

    Inb4 I cop it from everyone else.
    But I quite like it! It doesn't look as hideous as all of the other e-bikes on the market, and the motor is nicely tucked away!
    I find it quite funny how reckless you are with the all glorified Banshee frame but hey, at least you haven't completely broken it (yet)!
    Keen to see some GoPro clips of it soon, Hopefully you don't get arrested!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nautonier View Post
    There's no time for smiling and nodding when you're on a Strava run.

  4. #4
    Isn't flammable. moorey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Buninyong
    Posts
    26,715

    Default

    I hope you do get arrested....but this isn't about me.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTmofo View Post
    Think I'll just buy an Orange!

  5. #5
    Senior Member Logic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moorey View Post
    I hope you do get arrested....but this isn't about me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ideate View Post
    Why: to annoy Moorebagz and because ᶠᶸᶜᵏ♥ᵧₒᵤ ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡) that's why
    These bloody oldies hate change ay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nautonier View Post
    There's no time for smiling and nodding when you're on a Strava run.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Beej1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,787

    Default

    You have to imagine these motors will get smaller and more powerful with time. Same with batteries.

    Might be a life for my raw alloy Nomad after it (eventually) gets upgraded after all. Though I'd feel better if the motor was nestled in the triangle somehow.

  7. #7
    Isn't flammable. moorey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Buninyong
    Posts
    26,715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    These bloody oldies hate change ay.
    I hate seeing a banshee go this way....he'd already told me a giant would have also worked well.

    But more power to him. At my age, I need the uphills to keep the extra pounds at bay. Ebikes may become the norm...so have accountants on Harley's....but that doesn't make it ok.
    Last edited by moorey; 17-07-2017 at 09:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTmofo View Post
    Think I'll just buy an Orange!

  8. #8
    Senior Member Boom King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,134

    Default

    Too speed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckles View Post
    like any group there are extremist fringe elements who are willing to commit atrocities in the name of their particular skewed beliefs.
    Quote Originally Posted by moorey View Post
    Dr Moore loves his current Alpine..and his 5 other Oranges

  9. #9
    Senior Member Logic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moorey View Post
    I hate seeing a banshee go this way....he'd already told me a giant would have also worked well.

    But more power to him. At my age, I need the uphills to pounds at bay. Ebikes may become the norm...so have accountants on Harley's....but that doesn't make it ok.
    Yeah, I totally get your point man it's a damn sexy bike to have a motor attached to it.
    But at the same time there a shredded blokes out there that are into 250kg women. Just depends on which one of them you are
    Personally, for me i'm definitely gonna stick to pedal power till the day I turn into a cripple but i'm still interested in seeing how this technology is going to develope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nautonier View Post
    There's no time for smiling and nodding when you're on a Strava run.

  10. #10
    Senior Member slowmick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,562

    Default

    that is serious dedication to getting a laugh. looks like it will be quite the ongoing project - not for the faint hearted.

    Love the Lekkie name - made me smile a lot. will you have a go at commuting on it?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •