Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums

Thread: Changing the spring in Sektor forks…

Default Changing the spring in Sektor forks…

One of my wife’s bikes has RockShox Sektor Gold RL Dual Position Coil 150mm forks with a medium spring. It doesn’t have enough sag and she barely gets half travel out of it, so I’ve got a soft spring, to see if that helps.

So I’m guessing here… set it to long travel, off with the adjustment lever, undo the lower allen bolt and then undo the big hex at the top? Pull old spring, insert new spring, reverse the above? I assume there’s oil in there? No mess Charlie. Any tricks for new campers for the spring change over?

Shouldn't need to touch the bottom bolt. Once the top cap is removed, just squish down on the fork and the spring will pop out the top.

It's not entirely no mess though, the spring will likely have a generous coat of grease.
    Just ride the bloody thing and enjoy yourself!

I build wheels... :wink:

OK, slackness hopelessness that I am, I finally got around to swapping out the medium spring for a soft spring on my wife’s bike tonight. I don’t know why I was putting it off, as it took all of about 15 minutes while sipping on a shiraz.

Anyway, it does have a bottom bolt that needs undoing, and the spring was not coming out until I used a drift and a knockometer down below… after that all easypeazy.

But even though I had the bike with the forks pretty level on the stand, a bit of red oil did make its way into my drip tray. My question is… even though it’s not going to need much, as it lost bugger all, what sort of oil do I use to replace what came out? I'm assuming any fork oil would be fine as it's only providing lubrication. It looked like ATF to me, but I am happy to be advised.
    Last edited by Lazmo; 01-11-2017 at 11:26 PM.

Any 15w fork oil is fine, which you should hopefully have kicking around for your other forks.

You don't need a lot, it's just to lubricate the bushings & stanchions; check the specs of the particular fork, because it can vary between models (and even each side of the one fork!), but typically no more than 15ml each side.

Thanks Duck, you’re on the money as usual... I found the RockShox PDF on the forks and yep 15ml of 15wt is the go. Oddly I’ve got endless motorcycle fork oil of every permutation, but no pushy specific fork oil, so my local CBD LBS came to the rescue.

Anyway the technology is really only there to serve the riding and today we rode Blores Hill and my wife loved it. She normally only comments when something is wrong, but today she was descending way quicker and had much more confidence in her bike and she was sure it was a more compliant plush front end that was doing it for her. She was well pleased.

I don't think there's any such beast as bike-specific fork oil, it's usually the same stuff as for moto forks. Just follow the fork manufacturer's specs for particular oil weight in particular areas & you can't really go wrong. By & large if you have a bottle each of 5w & 15w (preferably from the same oil brand) you're set, and if on the off chance the fork calls for 10w, just mix the two to suit.

Yep,most oils are just rebranded Moto fork oils, few exceptions. Fox green was an OEM specific oil, nothing quite like it available via retail.

Peter Verdone has done a great write up regarding MTB and Moto suspension oils

http://www.peterverdone.com/wiki/ind...spension_Fluid
    Hitler parody Only fools and people in power refuse to change their views to match reality

Thanks… great, I’ll just use my moto fork oil from now on.

We rode Blores Hill again today, as we stayed overnight in the area, and my wife was riding like a demon. We rode Trig and Matilda D and she usually walks a lot of the rock gardens, but today she was ploughing through and rode much more of it. She was amazed at how well the front end would absorb the hit and keep on keeping on. She was so happy about it, she wanted to ride the lower rocks gardens of Trig again, because she couldn't believe what she'd just done, so we did. She rode a rock face roller she has never ridden before. Her descending was much quicker, I usually just eff off into the distance, but if I didn’t go for it, she was right there behind me.

Anyway, I feel a bit of a bastard, as I’ve had the bloody new soft spring sitting on the bench for about six months, and just never got around to changing it. And it was real easy to change too. If I knew how big of a difference it made, I would’ve done it ages ago.