Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chain nitty gritty

Default Chain nitty gritty

On the wife's bike the chain sounds like a crunchy mess after about a km off-road. It is a new bike, but lower spec with hydro discs ect and the chain is a KMC 9 speed. I have taken the chain off and fully soaked it in clean degreaser several times till it runs clean. Re- lubed it with quality lube I use on my good bike with KMC chain. But every time it turns into a crunchy mess soon after it hits the dirt.

I have done this several times after every ride since the bike came back from it's first service where the chain was first gritty and was wet lubed from the shop.

I only use dry lube and have tried wd40 dry lube, rock n roll gold, bike juice, and muc off ceramic.

The derailure is a long cage that hangs quite low, but surely that should not make much difference.

Should I keep cleaning and lubeing this 200km old chain, or just buy a quality one for it ?

Interested in replies too, I don't know if you can ever get rid of it. My DT is pretty clean - visibly clean, smooth and free spinning, but with an ear to the chainring & chain its sounds crunchy in slo-mo.
    Be careful with that, it was new once.

Try squirt which is a water based wax. must get all other product out of the chain first. once applied let it completely dry before riding.

Don't over lube it either ... will pick up dirt and store more dirt if so.

Squirt is great. Haven't had any issues with it on my combo and it's pretty damn quiet.
    RF NW + Sunrace cassette + M8000 XT chain

Another vote for Squirt. Clean, simple and the "Workshop Only" bottle will last you forever! I'm halfway through my second bottle in about 4 years, and that's with 4 bikes to keep running :)
    Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

My Fun Times:
    Ibis Mojo HD3 (Ha, I really should do a PYR thread for it one of these days)
    Pivot Phoenix DH
    Batmobile
    [Decommissioned]Pivot Mach 5.7C
    Successful Trades with: Too may to list in the signature now ;)
    My iTrader

Sounds like the tyre is particularly good at flicking sand into the derailleur! What tyre is on the rim?
    Fertilising my post count

It's a Maxxis Icon tyre, and the lube is dry before riding and not over lubed /wet.

I was going to go get some squirt, probs get a new chain while I'm at it.

Now do you have to degrease say, a brand new shimano chain before you apply Squirt ?

Quote Originally Posted by outerlimits View Post
    Now do you have to degrease say, a brand new shimano chain before you apply Squirt ?
    I have in the past but with KMC chains. Will be interesting to see what others do. The last couple I have just fitted out of the packet and used. At first wash, give them a good degrease then apply rock n roll lube.
    Either option is fine I think..
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Do what I do - don't crash!

I've used Sqirt only for about 12 years.

New chains can be a bit sticky. I give them a run through the chain cleaner with detergent and water. Give it a good rinse and apply a couple of coats of Squirt.

I don't use any strong degreasers on my chains. If the detergent isn't getting them clean I run the chain through multiple times.

Stirk makes a good point. New tyres are especially good at flicking up a bit of grit.
    "People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it". - George Bernard Shaw

New chains might as well be coated in honey! Only done it once, first ride they attract every particle of dust, dirt, sand, rock etc!

Ever since that experience ive tried to wipe down the exterier of all new chains, wipe as much of the lubricante off the chain that you can, then ride (chain wont get nearly as dirty as a untouched new chain) wipe down again, ride, wipe down and then i start applying Squirt.

You could chemically clean a new chain to remove factory lube then go straight to Squirt (probably need a couple applications if the chain's bone dry to start), but i wouldnt bother just wipe down the new chain as above and do that for a couple rides then your good to carry on with Squirt.

Travis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast