Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My tyres feel dead and lifeless.

Default My tyres feel dead and lifeless.

Anyone else notice that certain tyres feel dead and harsh and lack dampening. Going from Schwalbe to Maxxis I really notice this feeling on both my HT and FS. It must come down to the compounds as I run similar air pressures. I was running the harder Schwalbe compound and EXO Maxxis.
    Schwalbe and Onza have great dampening- any others??

Yep I get this too. As a heavier guy, I really notice. But not lately since I have pretty much landed on my preferred tyre setups now.

I think it's to do with sidewall stiffness. Comparable tyre models between brands seem to have wildly varying weights (quoted and actual) and the difference reflects in damage protection and ride qualities.

Tread patterns and lug size would have something to do with it too. Say if you are you going from a Magic Mary to a Minion SS for example.

Quote Originally Posted by BT180 View Post
    Tread patterns and lug size would have something to do with it too. Say if you are you going from a Magic Mary to a Minion SS for example.
    yes mate this has a big affect like from Nobby Nic to Ardent race on the HT but I I wouldnt have thought there would be such a big difference from Nobby to Forecaster. All my Maxxis feel dead compared to Schwalbes regardless of tread patterns- i find.
    Yes I am a big bloke- 6.5 and 100kgs so cant run the low air pressures that others can. Perhaps that is it- perhaps Maxxis sidewalls are stiffer to allow lower air pressures but cause Im a fat bastard, I cant run those pressures to get the benefits. What you think

I can't stand running any tyre pressures less than 28 psi but I normally run around the 29~30psi mark. To compensate I run the suspension softer and use a rear shock that has a pretty firm climb mode or get it retuned so that it does. Being a heavy bloke I'd imagine you'll have the problem of blowing through travel and will need to run larger volume spacers. You might be better off going to a bigger bagged tyre if you can.
    "To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing." ~Aristotle.

Fat bastard club member here, around 97-98kg kitted up so my rear pressures are always 28psi or higher for really rocky stuff. I've found both Schwalbe and Conti tyres to have a much more supple feel than Maxxis tyres on the trail (Contis are probably my favourite), however they squirm considerably more at equivalent pressures than Maxxis tyres and wear faster, particularly on the sidewalls. Shock tuning does help, but it never completely gets rid of that high frequency chatter that good damping tyres have the ability to do. For me it's a trade off between traction, tyre wear, protection and damping. I'd love to run Contis but when they are tubelessified I've found that to stop the squirming I have to run the pressures so high it unacceptably reduces traction.

Quote Originally Posted by Big JD View Post
    Anyone else notice that certain tyres feel dead and harsh and lack dampening. Going from Schwalbe to Maxxis I really notice this feeling on both my HT and FS. It must come down to the compounds as I run similar air pressures. I was running the harder Schwalbe compound and EXO Maxxis.

Well for starters an equivalent size marking Maxxis is a smaller tyre than Schwalbe. E.g. 2.35 schwalbe is massive compared to 2.3 Maxxis. The tread pattern and how much corner knobs it has makes a difference too.

Clinically Inane

It's not fat, it is big boned...and muscle. Sooooooooooo much muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by Big JD View Post
    I also find that Schwalbe have a really big bag compared to most other tyres. I think this also helps.

Nah all psychological.
    Its to do with the weather and soft ground conditions when its wet.
    scarey but cool

I thought 29ers are supposed to feel dead and lifeless
    Polygon DHX 2014 | Nukeproof Mega AM 2013 | RIP Lapierre Spicy 2012 | Glory DH 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    You single speeders are the vegans of the mtb world, can't help but tell everyone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast