Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which seat rail material is the strongest?

Default Which seat rail material is the strongest?

I keep bending seat rails, I've gone though two Nukeproof Vectors with CrN/Ti Alloy rails(whatever that means). Would i be better off going with cromo rails or should i smash open the piggy bank and get a seat with full titanium rails?

And before you call me a fat c@#t, I weigh a sturdy 83kg.

stop sitting on the seat through the chunk!

I'd go cromo, titanium may be awesome but it's generally attached to a lighter saddle. But then again, I've weighed 110kg for ages and never ever bent seatrails, except that one ti railed one in a huge crash... and having said that all mine on mtbs for the last 25 years have been ti railed (flite, vetta sl, charge spoon)... so maybe go ti.

CrN/Ti Alloy is (probably) ti rails with chromiun-nitride coating
    Last edited by mik_git; 04-08-2017 at 08:23 PM.
    All the gear and no idea.

You got your seat centered on the rails, HS?

Quote Originally Posted by hifiandmtb View Post
    You got your seat centered on the rails, HS?
    No about 10mm past max. It is a frame size problem, just need a seat with strong seat rails to last until i can afford a larger frame.

Also not keen on putting a longer stem on.

How about a seatpost with greater layback...assuming you are not running a dropper (which is expensive to change over)?

Quote Originally Posted by halfstroke View Post
    No about 10mm past max. It is a frame size problem, just need a seat with strong seat rails to last until i can afford a larger frame.

They have max marks for a reason. Every saddle I've ever seen with munted rails has been slammed way past its limits. No rails will handle that abuse in the long run. Either move it to within its specified range and deal with it, or get a post with enough setback. Or better still, get the right sized frame.
    Just ride the bloody thing and enjoy yourself!

I build wheels... :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by The Duckmeister View Post
    They have max marks for a reason. Every saddle I've ever seen with munted rails has been slammed way past its limits. No rails will handle that abuse in the long run. Either move it to within its specified range and deal with it, or get a post with enough setback. Or better still, get the right sized frame.
    I'm working on it, but i don't have a few thousand $ to drop on a frame right now. So i guess i just have to buy a few more saddles.

I keep bending seat rails, ...
    I bend rails too but usually on HT's only. Ti won't help, its just lighter. Carbon rails might work but they're super expensive. Just get a good 8mm chromo railed seat like the overture. I've got one if you want to buy/try. You'll never bend overture rails!

If you don't have a dropper then get an i-beam post and seat (no rails). I've got some i-beam stuff also if you're interested.

Clinically Inane

Like the duck says...you have 2 problems. One is the frame size and the other your improper use of the seat.

I've got an old school dh seat here that you can buy...it's one of those massive leather lounge seats that were balls out dh approved in the early 2000's. It's every kind of awkward and very comfy all at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by pink poodle View Post
    Like the duck says...you have 2 problems. One is the frame size and the other your improper use of the seat.

I've got an old school dh seat here that you can buy...it's one of those massive leather lounge seats that were balls out dh approved in the early 2000's. It's every kind of awkward and very comfy all at the same time.
    One of these?

Hitler parody Only fools and people in power refuse to change their views to match reality

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast