Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: Which seat rail material is the strongest?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    23

    Default Which seat rail material is the strongest?

    I keep bending seat rails, I've gone though two Nukeproof Vectors with CrN/Ti Alloy rails(whatever that means). Would i be better off going with cromo rails or should i smash open the piggy bank and get a seat with full titanium rails?

    And before you call me a fat c@#t, I weigh a sturdy 83kg.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Tas
    Posts
    959

    Default

    stop sitting on the seat through the chunk!

    I'd go cromo, titanium may be awesome but it's generally attached to a lighter saddle. But then again, I've weighed 110kg for ages and never ever bent seatrails, except that one ti railed one in a huge crash... and having said that all mine on mtbs for the last 25 years have been ti railed (flite, vetta sl, charge spoon)... so maybe go ti.

    CrN/Ti Alloy is (probably) ti rails with chromiun-nitride coating
    Last edited by mik_git; 04-08-2017 at 08:23 PM.
    All the gear and no idea.

  3. #3
    Senior Member hifiandmtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    RNP, Sydney
    Posts
    3,384

    Default

    You got your seat centered on the rails, HS?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hifiandmtb View Post
    You got your seat centered on the rails, HS?
    No about 10mm past max. It is a frame size problem, just need a seat with strong seat rails to last until i can afford a larger frame.

    Also not keen on putting a longer stem on.

  5. #5
    Senior Member hifiandmtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    RNP, Sydney
    Posts
    3,384

    Default

    How about a seatpost with greater layback...assuming you are not running a dropper (which is expensive to change over)?

  6. #6
    Senior Member The Duckmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Carrum Downs, Vic.
    Posts
    3,621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by halfstroke View Post
    No about 10mm past max. It is a frame size problem, just need a seat with strong seat rails to last until i can afford a larger frame.

    Also not keen on putting a longer stem on.
    They have max marks for a reason. Every saddle I've ever seen with munted rails has been slammed way past its limits. No rails will handle that abuse in the long run. Either move it to within its specified range and deal with it, or get a post with enough setback. Or better still, get the right sized frame.
    Just ride the bloody thing and enjoy yourself!

    I build wheels... :wink:

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Duckmeister View Post
    They have max marks for a reason. Every saddle I've ever seen with munted rails has been slammed way past its limits. No rails will handle that abuse in the long run. Either move it to within its specified range and deal with it, or get a post with enough setback. Or better still, get the right sized frame.
    I'm working on it, but i don't have a few thousand $ to drop on a frame right now. So i guess i just have to buy a few more saddles.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Ideate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by halfstroke View Post
    I keep bending seat rails, ...
    I bend rails too but usually on HT's only. Ti won't help, its just lighter. Carbon rails might work but they're super expensive. Just get a good 8mm chromo railed seat like the overture. I've got one if you want to buy/try. You'll never bend overture rails!

    If you don't have a dropper then get an i-beam post and seat (no rails). I've got some i-beam stuff also if you're interested.

  9. #9
    Clinically Inane
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    18,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by halfstroke View Post
    No about 10mm past max. It is a frame size problem, just need a seat with strong seat rails to last until i can afford a larger frame.

    Also not keen on putting a longer stem on.
    Like the duck says...you have 2 problems. One is the frame size and the other your improper use of the seat.

    I've got an old school dh seat here that you can buy...it's one of those massive leather lounge seats that were balls out dh approved in the early 2000's. It's every kind of awkward and very comfy all at the same time.

  10. #10
    Senior Member link1896's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pink poodle View Post
    Like the duck says...you have 2 problems. One is the frame size and the other your improper use of the seat.

    I've got an old school dh seat here that you can buy...it's one of those massive leather lounge seats that were balls out dh approved in the early 2000's. It's every kind of awkward and very comfy all at the same time.
    One of these?

    Hitler parody Only fools and people in power refuse to change their views to match reality

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •