Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums

Thread: BB install on 73mm frame

Default BB install on 73mm frame

Just building up my pivot point frame, got a set of Zee cranks to install that come with BB52 deore. My understanding is the BB doesnt need any spacers as the shell is 73mm, however, when I install the crank there is bugger all space for the left arm to tighten up. I have it installed as such and I cant get any lateral play from the arms so it seems ok, but wanted any ideas from the brains trust if I should stick a spacer on one or other side of the BB??

Also, any other suggestions for better quality BB, this BB52 seems pretty cheap.. the threads are like paper, Id be worried removing the BB would ruin the threads for good.

73mm bsa bb generally requires 1 spacer, on the drive side (I think from memory, but I chop and change depending on bike). 68mm shell requires 2 spacers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitler View Post
    chops makes me as angry as looking at my Crank Bros dropper post does
    Quote Originally Posted by no one ever View Post
    Australia Post is awesome!

Yes, one spacer on the drive side. The crank/BB assembly is designed to allow for the fitting of a bottom bracket mounted chain device, which typically has a 2.5mm thick mounting plate. If not using such a device, use a spacer in its place.

For interest's sake, a 68mm shell would require a spacer on each side to correct for the shell width difference, plus the additional spacer or BB-mounted chain device on the drive side.
    Last edited by The Duckmeister; 06-08-2017 at 03:38 PM.
    Just ride the bloody thing and enjoy yourself!

I build wheels... :wink:

awesome thanks guys, makes sense now! will put a spacer in there before I ride it!

cheers!