Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cyclocross - whats the deal

Default Cyclocross - whats the deal

So I dont really understand the deal with cyclocross, and why it's associated with MTBing.

I've only been back into MTB for about a year and never saw where cyclcoss originated. I recently joined a MTB Club, and since then all I've heard about from this club, is cyclocross, cyclocross and more cyclocross. Considering this club advertised itself as a MTB club, I'm slightly annoyed and already planned to change clubs. I also see MTBA sanctioned cyclocross events popping up on my facebook feed, where the promo shots are usually blokes in lycra carrying road bikes on their shoulder up a hill. I get that they are riding offroad, but it seems very far removed from what I think of as MTBing.

Now, I'm sure that these blokes have a fun time and most probably have better riding skills than me. Everyone is different and I'm not dissing the sport that they are into.........

However... can anyone explain to me how cyclocross is a MTBA sanctioned discipline when, ya know, they're not even riding Mountain Bikes ?

Quote Originally Posted by Snapcatcher View Post
    However... can anyone explain to me how cyclocross is a MTBA sanctioned discipline when, ya know, they're not even riding Mountain Bikes ?
    You ride a bicycle on a mountain.

Clinically Inane

Don't over think it. Smile politely and back away.

Agree you should find a new club

Is this the part where we ride DH rigs in the velodrome?

Quote Originally Posted by tkdbboy View Post
    I rekon that would be very entertaining.

I don't understand the hate, if my body was up to it I reckon I'd be giving it a crack.

I can also see why it may involve MTB clubs, given the amount of dirt, mud and features the gig includes. I often see dudes on CX bikes bombing MTB trails and even entering endurance races on them.
    Respect the Mountain. Ride the Bull. Feel the Flow.

Successful trades: Nick Z, Rhyno, Naz, RCOH, Parallax, Carlin, Stylinruss, Cave Dweller, Inverted, Teamshore03, Stooge, I-AM-TEH-FASTEST-11, Benana, -Davo, Grover, Drop in Drew, cleeshoy, Bevsta, Daver, hifiandmtb, yogibear, scblack, NoSkidMarks/Crankin, oliosky, dolphinman, binner, iUDEX_nCr, Psimpson7, nickg78, DillonRib, Squims.

Clinically Inane

Quote Originally Posted by tkdbboy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin27 View Post
    I rekon that would be very entertaining.
    I've done it (there's an outdoor one near my hq). It is fun, but not as fun as you think. They also have a cyclocross track there.

Clinically Inane

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    I don't understand the hate, if my body was up to it I reckon I'd be giving it a crack.
    I don't hate the sport, it could even be viewed as the origin of mtb, it's the people (in my local) that it attracts. They seem to overwhelmingly be the entitled type of jerks that think all trails are their trails to ride however they wish. As a result I run into them riding up down ward (not down hill) focussed trails climbing over jumps etc, ripping cheese cutter skids last minute on launch ramps, and tearing trails up in the wet. I just think it is inconsiderate. I'm not off ripping mad runs down the climbing sections of xc trails and I'd like to see a similar level of courtesy in return.

It's like the ebike debacle. Ride it on appropriate trails...away from me.

My club (in SE Qld) - could be the same as yours - has run several CX events in recent times. They had a national round and another on the same weekend as they hosted the SEQ XC racing - same as they did last year.

The same club also runs interclub DH race days and SEQ DH racing. They don't seem to be a really 'social ride' kinda club but rather a race focus for a number of disciplines.

Good on them I say, bit more income for the club and more variety for club members and others.

That notwithstanding, different clubs have a different focus so do a bit of research, like going through their facebook pages, and choose one that suits what you are after. Once you have your MTBA licence for the year, the actual club signup costs are generally low so it's easy to sign up for a second club.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast