Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Pike service question

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    558

    Default Pike service question

    Hey Guys,

    Just doing an oil change on my Pikes and had a Q about the pressure on the negative side of the air piston when reinstalling it. I'm used to working with Fox forks which don't have a seal on the lower end air side so there is little or no opposing pressure. Do you stick a cable tie or similar down the between the piston seal to release pressure or just stick it back in as is?

    Cheers
    C
    Quote Originally Posted by pink poodle View Post
    And even worse is the one stupid cunt that doesn't even notice the issues!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra Lord View Post
    asked me to do it at stromlo carpark the fuckin twat.

  2. #2
    Senior Member c3024446's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    1,084

    Default

    Should be able to just stick it back in. If not, unscrew the valve core on the positive side

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by c3024446 View Post
    Should be able to just stick it back in. If not, unscrew the valve core on the positive side
    i took the piston out from the top. No trouble getting it in, but curious about the pressure on the negative side.

    Actually now that i think about it more I'm guessing the negative pressure negates the need for thetop out springs as are used in Fox forks?
    Quote Originally Posted by pink poodle View Post
    And even worse is the one stupid cunt that doesn't even notice the issues!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra Lord View Post
    asked me to do it at stromlo carpark the fuckin twat.

  4. #4
    Senior Member c3024446's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    1,084

    Default

    The spring in a fox air fork is the negative spring. Rockshox use air as the negative spring. Couldn't adjust the negative spring in a fox fork like you could with the Rockshox, hence why Fox have finally started making forks with a negative air spring recently......

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by c3024446 View Post
    The spring in a fox air fork is the negative spring. Rockshox use air as the negative spring. Couldn't adjust the negative spring in a fox fork like you could with the Rockshox, hence why Fox have finally started making forks with a negative air spring recently......
    Thanks for that! Mine is a solo air so there's no adjustment on the negative side..
    Quote Originally Posted by pink poodle View Post
    And even worse is the one stupid cunt that doesn't even notice the issues!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra Lord View Post
    asked me to do it at stromlo carpark the fuckin twat.

  6. #6
    Senior Member The Duckmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Carrum Downs, Vic.
    Posts
    3,621

    Default

    There's usually a little nick machined into the inner wall of the air sleeve, which is a pressure-equalising bypass port. Basically just shove the air piston in, reassemble the fork, and after you pump the positive chamber up to pressure, jump on the fork a couple of times. as the piston slides past the bypass port, a bit of air will transfer into the negative chamber.
    Just ride the bloody thing and enjoy yourself!

    I build wheels... :wink:

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,685

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Duckmeister View Post
    ... jump on the fork a couple of times...
    When you pump the fork up, it should go to full extension. At full extension the pos and neg chambers will equalize. If you run really low pos pressures you may need to pull on the fork so it extends fully the first time you pump it back up, otherwise, pump it up more and then once its reached full extension, let pressure out until you're at your desired sag setting.
    Wanted: broken 10 speed XTR rear derailleur

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Duckmeister View Post
    There's usually a little nick machined into the inner wall of the air sleeve, which is a pressure-equalising bypass port. Basically just shove the air piston in, reassemble the fork, and after you pump the positive chamber up to pressure, jump on the fork a couple of times. as the piston slides past the bypass port, a bit of air will transfer into the negative chamber.
    Ok, thanks for that!
    Quote Originally Posted by pink poodle View Post
    And even worse is the one stupid cunt that doesn't even notice the issues!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra Lord View Post
    asked me to do it at stromlo carpark the fuckin twat.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SummitFever View Post
    When you pump the fork up, it should go to full extension. At full extension the pos and neg chambers will equalize. If you run really low pos pressures you may need to pull on the fork so it extends fully the first time you pump it back up, otherwise, pump it up more and then once its reached full extension, let pressure out until you're at your desired sag setting.
    Many thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by pink poodle View Post
    And even worse is the one stupid cunt that doesn't even notice the issues!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra Lord View Post
    asked me to do it at stromlo carpark the fuckin twat.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •