Formerly Farkin.net - News | Forums
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying Helmets overseas...

Default Buying Helmets overseas...

Anybody had any luck with sourcing MTB helmets overseas?

Wiggle, CRC, zee Germans all seem to geo-block (though often the AUS standard sticker is present).

For you the bigger consideration is insurance from what I've been told ... insurers check helmet certification on claims. We all know Insurers live to pay out claims.

I bought one from CRC = no problem, I am not worried about a sticker.
    scarey but cool

As mentioned above, that sticker gets important if insurance gets involved. Also if you're racing the rules will usually make specific mention of an Australian Standards approved hat, which is often checked at rego. No sticker, no race.

The other thing is fit. Not all helmets and are created equal, and nor are heads (same deal as saddles and bums). Unless it's one you've had before, you're taking a blind leap of faith buying one untested for comfort.
    Just ride the bloody thing and enjoy yourself!

I build wheels... :wink:

I bought a 661 Rage helmet a few years back from TBSM, and it was labelled on their site as AU Certified... doesn't have a sticker anywhere...

Is it just luck of the draw? I rarely spot AU Certification stickers on helmets in the wild.

I have read it's necessary to use an AU Certified helmet when racing, but I never, ever see anyone checking helmets to make sure.
    If I rode a fixie and nobody saw it, was it still cool?

If you find a Giro Montaro or Switchblade for a decent price, I'm all ears

Quote Originally Posted by The Duckmeister View Post
    As mentioned above, that sticker gets important if insurance gets involved. Also if you're racing the rules will usually make specific mention of an Australian Standards approved hat, which is often checked at rego. No sticker, no race.

The other thing is fit. Not all helmets and are created equal, and nor are heads (same deal as saddles and bums). Unless it's one you've had before, you're taking a blind leap of faith buying one untested for comfort.
    +1 to all of this. Best bet for savings is to have your LBS match Pushys or MTBD if they have what you're after for good pricing.

the standards were revised a 4-5 years ago by the au industry body - it seems research discovered the aussie head is more egg like brittle ... from the sun so just to be certain we better have our own standards. and would you believe unless a manufacturer wants to get their helmet certified again they cant sell into AU.

could it have been a business decision as we know eu and us standards are just as valid, so conclusion was it's about creating a monopoly on helmet sales in au, and guess what they cost twice as much for identical helmets, what da?

what to do, thinking, thinking, .... buy your favorite helmets from crc, then buy aldi helmet, put sticker on os helmet, all good ride on.
    pass the vides on and take it easy just flow baby just flow - definition of sound

Quote Originally Posted by mtb101 View Post
    could it have been a business decision as we know eu and us standards are just as valid, so conclusion was it's about creating a monopoly on helmet sales in au, and guess what they cost twice as much for identical helmets, what da?
    I think they roll the costs for AU certification testing into the pricetag. If they don't have a volume seller then it probably uneconomic to bother. I bet the chain store helmets are rebranded 'something elses'.

I find it hard to believe that the EU/US standards are anything less, like I'm sure Giro and Bell etc go out of their way to make unsafe helmets for any market.

what to do, thinking, thinking, .... buy your favorite helmets from crc, then buy aldi helmet, put sticker on os helmet, all good ride on.
    Would work unless someone really checked it. My Giro has no AU cert and was purchased online and I don't really care to be honest. I could bring along another AU certified helmet if I ever raced. IMHO, it has evolved into one of those stupid regulatory things that is a marginal case at best but good ammo for bottom dweller insurance and lawyer purposes.

Obviously, they make helmets purely for the Australian market and put those stickers on. You are almost certain to die with one of those euro helmets on.

BUT! there is no fucking chance in hell that an insurance company would give a fuck about what helmet you had on (3rd party ) and even less chance they would try and defend a claim on that basis
    Successful trades with chopsticks McGee, Dirty Dingo, FinancialWar, and gave someone I can't remember a pedal wrench extension.

And reckons he's going to do 80km per week for 2016 min

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast